U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VIETNAM WAR DOGS LEFT BEHIND

I am trying to get further information about the war dogs that were left behind in vietnam. Where did the order come from that stated the dogs would be left behind? any other information would be appreciated.Thank you in advance.
Robert Vidrick Sr.
Col. USA (Ret)

Re: VIETNAM WAR DOGS LEFT BEHIND

Col Vidrick,

Thank you for your service to our great country.

I would suggest that you start by reading "The History of the United States Army Veterinary Corps in Vietnam 1962-1973" by Col William Henry Harrison Clark USA Retired.

The decision not to return the dogs to the US sometimes seems to be shrouded in mystery, but the facts are that the decision was based on medical evidence based on almost constant blood studies done through out the course of the war.

I knew well before I ever boarded an airplane with my dog enroute to South Vietnam that my dog "Missy" 7K37 would not be permitted to return to the US, and was given the reasons why.

History has proven that some of those reason did not stand the light of scientific research.

212 dog were returned to the US, but were not released to their original owner, but instead were used in cancer research in an effort to determine the cause of such a high percentage of tumors in our dogs.

The chemicals used to dip our dogs in was determined to be the cause of the tumors in dogs, as well as humans.

During WWII a large number of dogs were destroyed over-seas to prevent certain flea/tick/mite born deseases from entering the US.

Semper Fi
Perry C. Money
VP, VDHA

Re: VIETNAM WAR DOGS LEFT BEHIND

Thanks Perry for the info. It looks like I am on the correct trail. If I find any other info from DOD I will let you know.
Bob Vidrick