U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
What happened to Rex

I have come across 3 personal photos of my uncle's dog Rex, a newspaper (don't know what paper) photo captioned: It's six pairs of eyes and ears on northwest beaches during coast guard night patrol. Chuck Slager, left, carries a walkie-talkie for communicating with his station. Vergil Abbott and Rex, the German shepherd, accompany him. Both men seaman 2d class, carry sub-machine guns.
Also, I have a certificate from the War Department Office of the Quartermaster General Washington, DC to my aunt and uncle. "Appreciation is expressed for your patriotic action in donating your dog Rex for use in connection with the Armed Forces of the United States" It is not dated but has a raised seal and a number (7958) on it.
One personal photo of Rex is dated December 1942. My uncle served in WW2. I'm looking to find out when, where Rex served and what happened to him.

Re: What happened to Rex

Elaine,
If you don't get a response from the website, try contacting the Dog School at Lackland AFB in Texas. They have a lot of old records. If they don't someone at the school might be able to give you a number to call or an address to write..
Joe Gajewski
Philadelphia, PA
jgajewski11@comcast.net

Thanks Joe, I'll give it a try.

If that doesn't work out, let me know, I have one other idea...
BTW - I'm not into any social media crap (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, facetime, etc.) Just straight cell calls and text messages... Found out too many of the social media gets hacked an awful lot...
Joe Gajewski

I inquired at the Lakland AF Base but have heard nothing. I just sent a message to the National Archives so I'll wait for a response from there. Thanks for your interest. If I don't get a response, I'll send you another message. FYI I don't do any social media other than email.

I just received a message from Chris Wellingham. No info but wants to assist. Hope this gets me somewhere.
Thanks Elaine

I hope Rex is okay, do you have an update?
Tsadik Law

I hope the dog is fine now. Our company is willing to help, please see https://www.gilbertdogwalker.com/

Hoping for Rex's recovery...If you need any help, we are willing to give support.. Just let awning company near me Wildwood NJ know..

Any update about him?
Allan at Auto repair in mesquite texas

For all who are concerned for Rex, thank you but: Rex was a German shepherd who served in WW2 effort circa 1942. My inquiry is where he served and was he adopted out after his service or did he remain with his handler until his death. He had belonged to my uncle who donated Rex to the war department during that time. I have 3 documents regarding the above. If you have any suggestions as to who I can contact I would appreciate that info. Thanks, Elaine

Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first” sports! Townsville Lawn Mowing Services

Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us. Banquette Seating Upholstery Sydney

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming. Concreters Maitland

Concrete Contractors Wagga also wants to have this kind of feature where readers can express their thoughts. Hence, this is the reason I will visit you again because I just love your articles.

I hope Rex is okay. We at dumpster rental riverside ca will pray for Rex.

Thanks for letting us comment here. Visit me if you need some expert for digital space. digital agency townsville

hanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming.
Foundation

Nice knowledge-gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. New Boat Dock

Thank you for the good insight! Much appreciated. Keep it up guy's.
visit now

Great blog! Thank you so much for the information.

Hola, después de leer este increíble escrito, estoy muy contento de compartir mis conocimientos aquí con mis colegas. Instalar Canalones Vizcaya

Nice post to hang on. We at Painters Prince George really loved the way the stuff was provided in this article. This has given very useful information

Great! I am so thankful for your site, Victoria Soundproofing Insulation

This weblog is fantastic. I really like studying your articles. Keep up the good writing! You realize, a lot of people are hunting around for this info, and you can help them greatly. Visit also our best
roof restoration rockhampton

thanks for sharing... drywall contractors fort worth tx

This actually answered my problem, thanks! Visit my website https://www.tejadosalcaladehenaresmadrid.com

Hoping that Rex is fine. Do you have an update about him?

spray foam insulation

That it's not all.

Emondage Mascouche

Hope Rex is doing alright now. It has been a while so just wanted to check in. website

Any update about this post? Would glad to read more content here. santa cruz roof repair

Hope he is doing alright. Bess of luck. metal roofing company

Any update about this post? roofing companies green valley

Your article is more than just a post to me. I ambeing honest with you you have captured my reader’s attention of ghmed with unique and engaging content.

Great site to visit, interesting content you shared here. mechanic saskatoon

Any news? There are a lot of ways to find out what happens to him. You can try posting to social media if anyone knows what happen to him back then.
Cheers,
John @ photography services

What ended up coming of this?

Alex @ Drywallers Ottawa

I want to thank you for this great idea! I love every bit of it. I have a bookmark you look at your new things. Read more from arreglar cubiertas Torrelavega and learn more about this.

Appreciation is expressed for your patriotic action in donating your dog Rex for use in connection with the Armed Forces of the United States best drywall repair

Wow, this is actually an awesome site. An old friend I once knew had started meet ups for military, which has been amazing to be honest. Love to see War Dogs getting dedication auto detailing El Monte

Any updates to this? I hope he was found :) mobile detailing company Baldwin Park

My uncle gave me info about all the famous War Dogs - Stubby, Chips, love that. Hoping all for the best auto detailing El Cajon

auto detailing Clovis

Keep up the great work, I completely agree with your comment.
office kitchen cleaners in Derby

Hey, thanks for sharing! Piiper Consulting Services AB

Hey there!!! I was looking for this info around the web and finally found it. Thanks washington dc basement waterproofing

Wow! great blog post! this is interesting I'm glad I've been drop here, such a very good blog you have I hope u post more! keep posting. Green Waste Removal Townsville

What does The United States War Dogs Association do? what to do when a moving company rips you off

War dogs have been used for a variety of purposes, such as tracking, scouting, and even detecting explosives. ADU garage conversion san francisco home addition Mill Valley

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, I hope that you manage to find info on Rex. If you can't find any please tell me so I can ask around my favorite commercial roofing in Jacksonville fl to see if they have a way to find info on Rex!

I hope Rex is fine. https://www.deckbuilderssf.com/

1 2