U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Father's dog in Aleutian Island War Dog or Pet?

Hi,
I have been working on my family tree and as I was watching a movie the other day it talked about a WAR DOG Training program. It made me start to think about my father (Charles Tholey), who past away nine years ago. He was stationed in the Aleutian Islands during WW II. He always told me stories of his dog named Lanny. I always thought it was just a dog that he found and decided to keep. I even have a picture of him with my Dad and a sign saying where he was. Is it possible that he was a war dog, even though my father never actually mentioned that. I also remember him telling me that he was trained to only take food from my father to make sure he never was given any food that would hurt him.
I know he served in BTY D 10th CA WWII.

If there was any kind of record of the dogs it would be wonderful to include Lanny in our family tree.
Thank you. Jackie O'Brien
Any input would be appreciated

Re: Father's dog in Aleutian Island War Dog or Pet?

It is quite possible that your father's dog was a Military Working Dog.

I assume that CA in the unit name stands for Coastal Artillery.

Historically during WWII the largest number of dogs were used by the Coast Guard as security along our coast lines, and no doubt at our costal defense positions including the Aleutians and Panama.

You might acquire or look and find a copy of your father's DD-214, this document may/should contain all of his jobs skills and duty stations while in the military.

Let us know what you find out.

Semper Fi
Perry C. Money