U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where would I even begin?

Claire,

Try the VDHA website.

Also if the dog was a Pincher then he may have been
used by the USMC since most of their dogs during WWII were Pincher.

I have a list of all the USMC dog KIA's on Guam and Iwo Jima maybe he was in that bunch, I will look and see when I get home from work.

Perry C. Money
USMC Mine and Booby Trap Detection Dog handler
usmc8672@yadtel.net
pmoney@championindustries.com

Great! Thank you so much! I would just love to find out some information about him so that I can tell his story to my kids. I would really hate for his memory to be forgotten by our family simply because the ball was dropped and the story wasn't passed down to the next generation. I appreciate your help!

Claire,

I'm still searching.

I've check all the grave makers at the K-9 Cemetery on Iwo Jima (reviewed the orignal photos) and did not find his name there.

Next we will review the names from Guam (26) Pinchers were killed in action there.

The commander of he USMC dogs during WWII has passed away, but he did publish a great book title "Always Faithul", I will read it again and look for the name in it.

If we don't find it there then we will contact the
the USMC History Division at Quantico, VA.

Contary to common belief the militry keep very, very good records, problem is always very to look.

Semper Fi

Oh Wow! Thank you so very much for checking! I am really hoping to find something. I am going to contact the library in Ohio that may have the article about Red's death. It may have details -- and it should at least have a date. That newspaper shut down a very long time ago, so I am hoping the library will have it's back issues on microfiche. I don't know if the military kept the owners names in the database too, but Red's owner's last name was Steiner.

Thanks again. I hope I can do something to keep Red from being forgotten.

Claire,

A total of 25 USMC Doberman Pinchers were killed in action during the Liberation of the Island of Guam.
24 were buried on the island, and 1 was buried at sea.

Kurt, Skipper, Ni, Missy, Blitz, Bursch, Yonnie, Ponocho, Prince, Cappy, Arno, Pepper, Koko, Tubby, Fritz, Duke, silver, Ludwig, Bunkie, Hobo, Emmy, Max, Brockie, Rickey were all buried on the island, and Tam was buried at sea.

Please go to the following website for the history of USMC War Dogs starting in 1935, from there you can go to a lot of places and just might find the answer to your question, and I will continue to search also.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1878/wardog.html

or just type (war dogs) in in your search window and scroll down until you see the usmc 1935 reference in the title.

There is no doubt that the records exist, just a matter of looking in the right place, or asking the right person.

Semper Fi

Thank you. I really do appreciate it. If I find him I will pop back on and let you know!

Since I have been looking for him, I have been able to read some of the history. After reading more about these War Dogs I am convinced that they need to do a really good movie about them. They are really quite incredible, and I think that most of us are just unaware of all they have done in the Armed Forces.

Thanks again!

C