U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: k-9 psds/ survivor syndrone?

i just want to hear from dogmen my real brothers.
and hopefully anyone i served with
and thank you big bro,s. 50s 60 70s
now 2ks for your service

A good friend of mine, Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Searfoss(retired) served as a dog hangler USMC Sentry in Morocco.

Prior to that Tom served in Europe, and graduated fron the Sentry Dog Combined Service School in Germany.

Tom join us in Vietnam in the fall of 1970 and served as a Mine and Booby Trap Detection Dog handler.

If you will go to vdha.us and then click on "war dog unit" then click on "USMC" then scroll down to "Sentry" you will find a short list of USMC Sentry Dog Handlers.

Also click on "Mine and Booby Trap" and you will find Tom's name and e-mail address.

I suggest that you contact him directly.

The other unit that I was think of was the short lived 35th Marine Exp. Force that landed in Angolia in 1975, pulled out, stood down retired the flag, and then was activated again as the 26th Marine Exp. Force.

Semper Fi
Perry C. Money
USMC Mine and Booby Trap Detection Dog Handler
Vietnam 1970 "Missy" 7K37

Sir,

I just wanted you to know you can share your story on this board anytime you wish. While a teenager I was a cashier at a local grocery store. The security guard there was a former U.S.A.F. recruit whom served in Vietnam. He was a K9 handler. I wish to God I could remember that man's name and position. Anyway, he shared with me a experience he had to endure while serving in Vietnam. He never spoke of any other experience except that one during the brief time we worked together. Forgive me if I can not give enough information as this was over 13 years ago I was honored for him for sharing his heartbreaking story with me. Here it is to the best of my recollection:

"I was a K9 handler on point in front of my unit. (He told me the K9's name but I can't remember) We were clearing a sector. All of the sudden my dog gave a alert. I was unable to pinpoint the enemy due to the thickness of the vegetation. Soon the dog started growling which he was not suppose to do. It would give up my location. After trying to silence him he only continued to grow more agitated. The enemy was very near. I had to make a decision give up my location and face death or permanently silence my K9 partner. I had no choice but to slash his throat and take his ear that had his serial number back to command. After that I refused to handle another K9 "
My co-worker refused to tell me anything else. I saw him breifly mentally slip off back to Vietnam. I saw him shudder and didn't speak the rest of the shift. I can't imagine what K9 handlers of war dogs have had to endure. However Sir, share your story so that we the younger generation can appreciate your sacrifices. Remember the VA system will let you down but God won't.