U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MWD Funeral

I know that this sounds morbid, but I am receiving a retired,11 year old German Shepherd from the USAF soon. I am so proud of her. She has served her country for over ten years. Now she gets to just be a dog. But when the time comes when she does have to go to a special place, are retired MWDs eligible for a military funeral? I would also like to find a bandana that she can wear that says she is a veteran but cannot find anyone that carries them. Thanks.

Re: MWD Funeral

Did you ever receive a reply to your questions? My husband and I were just talking about that the other evening. A military/formal funeral is the least that these dogs deserve. A bandana identifying them as special is a terrific idea.

No, the do not. I contacted the Veterans cemetery in Washington state and they said, and I quote; "we do not do military honors for dogs, only Veterans." I'm with you, I believe they deserve their honors just as their human counterparts, they too are veterans and I will be fighting to get them for our retired MWD Marco B127.

One of my USAF Sentry Dogs got Nephritus and had to be euthanized. Necropsy performed by Vet. I made a wooden box, put remains in, dug a whole and buried him in the kennel area. A cross was put on the grave with the help of a couple of friends. Next day I had a new K-9. As close as I ever saw to a ceremony.