Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What's a decent beginner's accordian? What should I look for?

H and T on Hohner reeds are just stamps on the reed plates. H reeds are generally older and have a reputation for sounding better. In my experience, there's more to reeds than just the stamp. Also, my first box was a Hohner with H reeds and it had a glorious sound FWIW.
I would not hesitate to buy Jeff's HA114, before he changes his mind once again :)

Orville Boudreaux
H and T on Hohner reeds are just stamps on the reed plates. H reeds are generally older and have a reputation for sounding better. In my experience, there's more to reeds than just the stamp. Also, my first box was a Hohner with H reeds and it had a glorious sound FWIW.
I would not hesitate to buy Jeff's HA114, before he changes his mind once again :)
Orville,

Thanks for the info on the reeds.

I just got an email from Marc Savoy where he also recommended the HA-114.

-Ryan

RYAN<

Most HOHNERS of a certain age suffer from the wrong owners, hack "repairmen", and or improper storage, not from use.

Impossible to find a mint 1950s-60s HA114 because stuff ages and may need attention. Some a little , some a lot.

and this is usually reflected in the price...usually.

I'll check mine out tonight.. see what gives..

Bought it a couple years ago from Paul Groff, noted box historian, player, repairman-tuner of the highest caliber. Have not played it 10 minutes. I paid $500...
IF that is IF I decide to sell it will be $400.

I can take photos and e mail/send electronically.. IF that is IF I decide to sell it.

I'll post later.

This box has no hack modifications or repairs is about 95-99% original with some minor exceptions... and a bit of wear in the right places....

Jeff Hildreth
RYAN<

Most HOHNERS of a certain age suffer from the wrong owners, hack "repairmen", and or improper storage, not from use.

Impossible to find a mint 1950s-60s HA114 because stuff ages and may need attention. Some a little , some a lot.

and this is usually reflected in the price...usually.

I'll check mine out tonight.. see what gives..

Bought it a couple years ago from Paul Groff, noted box historian, player, repairman-tuner of the highest caliber. Have not played it 10 minutes. I paid $500...
IF that is IF I decide to sell it will be $400.

I can take photos and e mail/send electronically.. IF that is IF I decide to sell it.

I'll post later.

This box has no hack modifications or repairs is about 95-99% original with some minor exceptions... and a bit of wear in the right places....

Sounds good Jeff.

"IF that is IF I decide to sell it will be $400."

That should be jumped on.

Bryan Lafleur
"IF that is IF I decide to sell it will be $400."

That should be jumped on.

If made available I will be jumping!

Keep an eye out on Ebay, Ive bought two HA-114 one for $350 and one for $400 also a HA-114B for $400. I probably wouldnt spend more than $400 though personally.
They can also be retuned dry if you want. My first accordion was HA-114 with hand made finger board and bass box and dry tuned, it makes them much more enjoyable to play. I recently made three finger boards and bass boxes to fit them. I wish I had one "cajunized" as I call them that I could sell you but I dont at the time. I will keep an eye out though for ya!

Craig Vincent
Keep an eye out on Ebay, Ive bought two HA-114 one for $350 and one for $400 also a HA-114B for $400. I probably wouldnt spend more than $400 though personally.
They can also be retuned dry if you want. My first accordion was HA-114 with hand made finger board and bass box and dry tuned, it makes them much more enjoyable to play. I recently made three finger boards and bass boxes to fit them. I wish I had one "cajunized" as I call them that I could sell you but I dont at the time. I will keep an eye out though for ya!
Hi Craig,

I am really hoping that Jeff will sell me his so that I would end up with an accordion in decent working condition.

Personally, if I ended up with a older HA-114, I'd just keep it in its original condition.

-Ryan

By "Cajunized" do you mean removing the iconic Bohemian/Austrain/Saxon/German spoon bass and removing and replacing possibly the best Bohemian/Austrian Saxon/German action on a one row ever made, hairpin springs.. and replacing them with nailed on coil springs ?

"Personally", I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a E-Bay accordeon.

Quebec accordeon techs have been replacing Bass Boxes on HA series Hohners for at least 40 years...Nothing new. Cajun builders have used Hohners as a base and built around them for decades.. Shine Mouton for one.

My replacement fingerboards have thumb grooves and removable front and rear plates, no thumb straps. No, I no longer make them.

BTW Hohners aren't just for beginners. Many seasoned players and professionals use and have used Hohner one rows.

Re: What's a decent beginner's accordion? What should I look for?

Jeff Hildreth
By "Cajunized" do you mean removing the iconic Bohemian/Austrain/Saxon/German spoon bass and removing and replacing possibly the best Bohemian/Austrian Saxon/German action on a one row ever made, hairpin springs.. and replacing them with nailed on coil springs ?

"Personally", I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a E-Bay accordeon.

Quebec accordeon techs have been replacing Bass Boxes on HA series Hohners for at least 40 years...Nothing new. Cajun builders have used Hohners as a base and built around them for decades.. Shine Mouton for one.

My replacement fingerboards have thumb grooves and removable front and rear plates, no thumb straps. No, I no longer make them.

BTW Hohners aren't just for beginners. Many seasoned players and professionals use and have used Hohner one rows.
Hi Jeff,

Did you happen to get a chance to look over your HA-114? Do you think that you might let it go?

Thanks,

Ryan

Side tracked.. my dog died.

More later

Jeff Hildreth
Side tracked.. my dog died.

More later
Very sorry for your loss Jeff.

Thanks

Romeo.. actually AKC registered as Alpha Romeo

13 yrs old

English Cream Golden Retriever
Born in the Netherlands and brought over at 10 weeks.
He was my best bud.

RIP

Jeff:

I'd be devastated .. I am so sorry ..

The following day my wife and I travelled 1002 miles (by car) to visit Romeo's grand-daughter Bella Rose...
Slightly smaller and a spitting image. Had a great visit, a bit sad but worth the trip.
All of Romeo's Christmas gifts/toys were left with her.

My field is empty without him chasing the ground squirrels, crows and turkeys.
We are going to wait a bit before we consider another dog... hard to fill his paws.

Thanks for the thoughts...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!