Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wanted Diamond Brand/Globe's/Sterlings/Monarchs and Falcons

I understand about the gear aspects of having alot of gear with collecting certain instruments and the value etc. What key is you classic in? And is more tuned for the ole cajun sound or more Zydeco. Thanks for the reply. Just keep me posted if ya might let it have a new home.

The accordion brand played by Nathan Abshire in that video I think is a "Sterling". Hell, it could even be a "Starling" He's playing his version of the "Hicks Wagon Wheel", later to be named the "Domino Two Step" by Abshire. Below is a news video about that accordion and it is implied that the accordion was made in Lake Charles, Louisiana. But we have two accordions made by Sydney Brown in our family and there are no name brands on them! At the time I believe Sydney Brown was making accordions out of Lake Charles. But when expanding the video screen below, I'm seeing "Sterling". Unfortunately, the news interview doesn't even say what brand name the accordion is and puts that video pinup right in the way of the accordion many times.

http://www.kplctv.com/story/35449114/famous-accordion-now-owned-by-kinder-family

That's the 1st view I have ever got to see of the side of that accordion and it sure does look like a sterling above where the reeds are.But when they say it was made in Lake Charles La, Maybe they meant to say it was refurbished there. Thanks for the new clip. I am glad to see its still around. SO does anybody have a email or phone number for Justin Manual? :grimacing:

I found out today its a Starling. That Nathan was playing

Would you be willing to email a pic or two or Cajun Classic you have.My email is Buzzzd03@yahoo.com. And do you know what key its in? You don't by chance have a Starling in your collection do you? Or a Sterling?

Hank3, with you being on the search for accordions, does this mean you'll be recording some Cajun music in the future?

What is a original Monarch worth these days?
I have one and I think it is in the key of A.
Michael

About 5 years ago somebody had a pristine Monarch or Sterling that brought $3500 from a northeastern buyer.

Travis Matte has been trying to sell a refurbished (modernized) Sterling D on eBay for a couple of months at $1500 with no takers.

Age, condition, and key govern. A is not a popular key, probaby 4th behind C, D & Bb. If it's mostly original, I'd guess $75 for a non-player, $300-$500 rough, $1,000 good, $2500 excellent. Those are prices fired from the hip, but a general yardstick.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!