Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: But joints mitered joints

My 00-17 was authenticated by Martin as a 1939 and it had a 1 3/4 nut.
Many early n1939 Martins were 1 3/4. Martin confirmed this.

Martin went to the ridiculously narrow 1 11/16ths the same year the idiotic Phillps screw hit the market.

Not being smart with you but what is the right way to play a song? I've heard the same song done by multiple people and no two sound the same.I was under the impression that improvisation was the key to folk music.

If you are asking me, you're asking the wrong guy...

Come on Tommy we all know you're the Bobby Fischer of the accordion. Who else would I be asking?

I dunno, maybe another nut sack that doesn't use his real name.

Maybe *******s prefer anonymity
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are a pretty sad excuse for a man. But you've infested the Cajun accordion boards for years so it isn't anything new...

Hilarious

Hey Jeff, tell all that to the many Cajun fiddle players that built their own fiddles out of cigar boxes and sewing thread. They had a deep desire to play the music more than the desire to have an awesome fiddle made by some world renowned wood worker out of Italy. I did not build my first accordion out of a cardboard box though. But I purchased the first accordion that came available to me. Sold to me by another Cajun whom I knew to be trustworthy. He never said "This is the best accordion there is because it has miter joints!" LOL, he sold it to me because he couldn't bring himself to learn how to play the dam thing. In fact, he didn't tell me a whole lot about the accordion except that he wanted $500 for it, and that was it! No mention of miter joints nor butt joints. Didn't even tell me what key it was in. Didn't matter to me because when I grabbed it and started pulling and pushing, within 30 minutes, the god dam thing was making the music that my grandfather used to make! And I was hooked forever more. Not once did I even give a second thought to the corners of my new accordion at that moment. LOL, we could go on and on here.

Hey JNightshade. Who gave you the impression that "folk" music was about improvisation? Was it Wilson Savoy? I recall hearing him say that on some video once. Is that where you got this notion?

LOL, yes it is all about improvisation......until you learn how to play the songs in the way they were meant to be played. Ahahahaha

I'm not making fun of you nor disrespecting you. Just looking at it from the point of view of a player that's gone over the hill into the realm of the masters. There are several "right" ways to play the same song. Depending on the circumstances, who's listening, and who's playing. But there's only one old way. That's the old way that send chills, draws a tear, or makes the heart skip a beat or two. That's the old way that inspires a youngin to want to buy his first accordion and play this very "un cool" Cajun music on a very un cool instrument that his forefathers played.

Wow, Greezy, that's the first post of yours I ever thought, "this guy knows his stuff." I agree 100 percent. Every song has its words, every tune has the chord and note progression that makes it unique. Sure, you can put a little tinsel on that tree, but it better be 95 percent the song or tune or you are blowing it out your butt.

Jeez, I agree with Greezy. Maybe there will be peace on earth after all. Go figure... -L-

We're good I didn't think any disrespect was intended. It was either Savoy or Big Nick that I read that quote from. Now as far as the old ways is that from trying to copy someone's style or is like Tommy said %95 and put your own tinsel on the tree? I understand there is a standard for songs but how much room is there to play with?

Holy Toledo, even Nightshade and I agree. North Korea is next!

That's the great minds thing you always heard about

The difference between a Classical guitarist and a Flamenco guitarist comes down to the Classical guitarist is stuck in a rut playing the tunes (they are not songs as they are not sung) exactly as they were played/written before him/her. The Flamenco guitarist has a basic rhythm (compass), melody and format, but is free to improvise and "make music" ... not bang it out rote.

I have ZERO problem with Cajun fiddlers and Cajun made fiddles.

But a professional, production, mass produced accordion shop has the skill, the tools and the option of doing a miter. No miter, no sale.

In another life I was a rare and exotic and instrument grade hardwood broker.. self employed.

My main market were violin and bow makers. I know a bit about the instrument. My wife is a violin player. First chair/concert master at one time.
She has a LANINI hand made violin. She has upscale bows. She played well. She no longer plays which is a pity.

Fun, honest instruments can be made out of simple materials with simple tools and the result can give great pleasure to the builder the player and the listener.

No excuse for a butt jointed accordeon when mitered cornered, better quality (IMO) can be had for the same, or less, money.

Buy what you want.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!