Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
What's so bad about using Mojo as a brand name?

What's so bad about using Mojo as a brand name? Just curious.

I am not aware of any offensive connotations of the word. It has been very commonly used in blues lyrics for many decades, and I don't recall that it was ever considered to be objectionable. Is there some bit of history in this regard that is unknown to me?

But here's any interesting observation. The brand name is not really "Mojo". On the accordion in question, instead of the letter "J", he uses the symbol for the treble clef, which is somewhat like "&". I dunno how to enter the actual treble clef symbol here.

The treble clef symbol is often referred to as the "G" clef, and G happens to have the same sound as J in Mojo, so it hangs together rather nicely, if you ask me.

I find that it makes for an attractive logo.

Re: What's so bad about using Mojo as a brand name?

Something either has MOJO or it does not. Calling something (particularly something you made or did) MOJO is a faux pas..Mojo is something that develops, not manufactured.

Not unlike moronic, self exhalted (sp), pompous, American lawyers calling themselves "esquire".
Esquire means "landed gentry" and NOT attorney or lawyer or jongleur. If you see an attorney with a sign or business card that says "esquire", avoid. Crass, clumsy and classless. Find a professional.

That is what MOJO and Esquire have in common when you apply it to yourself.
It's just a simple self absorbed, grandstanding, arrogant gesture. It is like complimenting yourself in public.

Aside from that, the origin of the word MOJO has nothing to do with Cajun or Zydeco.. it is a Gullah word:
"THE ORIGIN OF MOJO. "Mojo" is magic, magical ability, and the power to get things done. "Mojo" first appeared in the 1920s in the southern United States from the Gullah word "moco" (magic), Gullah being Creole spoken by some groups of African-Americans"

Moclefo.. great name. Are they butt jointed ?

That's pretty hilarious

Good job they didn't use the forte symbol!

Fortissimo British humor, AJ.

When i think of the word Mojo... the only strong reference i can think of is the movie "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"... very funny movie where Austin Powers refers to his Mojo ...

"Carry on accordion"

"CARRION" accordeon ?

Nothing bad, but there is a "faux-Cajun" Mojo, he has a lot of youtubes and wears a purple feathered hat.

In the Chicago area, maybe?

He's fairly famous, as these things go. :)

He does play Cajun accordion and several Cajun songs, as well as other genres.

wle

" Prince " ?

no, not 'prince'.../

MOJO & The Bayou Gypsies - Better Get Ready

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!