Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tuning a cajun accordion

I have a harmona/welty that's in pretty bad shape, I'm slowly doing it up and am thinking of having a go at tuning. It has removable reed blocks so I'll be able to use a tuning table if I decide to go down that road.
Was just curious though- how the heck do you tune cajun accordion reeds when the blocks are glued in? Can't be a straight forward job.

Re: Tuning a cajun accordion

It's really not that hard, once you involve your third hand.

'Spose that would be the third hand that also comes in handy when playing triplets!:wave:

No AJ, I think what Bryan is talking about is the little hand and arm that grows out of Cajun accordion builder's sternum area. I wish I had one! Man, the things I could do with one of those!

Just keep in mind, AJ, if you tune the reeds out of the accordion, they may change a bit when you reinstall them, so you may have to do some touch up in place. The top (push) reeds are easy, just need to slip a thin metal strip under them for support. The pull ones on the bigger reeds are not too bad if you have a reed hook to lift them out of the slot. On the small ones, I just pop out, tune, and stick back in. Sounds more daunting than it is. After you're done, make sure to reheat the wax to reseal. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Thanks Bryan that's very kind, think I'll tinker with harmonicas to start with and leave my accordion to the professionals for now so I don't lose too much playing time.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!