Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Learning Cajun Accordion Resources

Hey Ryan, looks like you're starting out with the DVD's eh mon ami? Well unfortunately, they'll only teach you how to play certain songs. What they may not teach you is how to get to know and understand your Cajun accordion and what it's construction and reed/note lay out order can allow you as the accordion player to accomplish with said instrument.

Your greatest source is right where you are now. The Cajun Accordion Discussion Page. Especially the writings of Greezy McGill, 33rd Degree Master Musician, and THE BLUE MAX.

Last, but not least, the old Cajun music. Every Cajun accordion player out there learned how to play accordion by listening to Cajun music. So what do you want to learn? The style and technique of the "Johnny Come Latelys", or the styles and techniques of the "Old Master Pioneers"?

May I suggest learning exactly what your accordion is capable of before you go any farther, or be doomed to be a player without the essential Base Foundation.

Oh, you want me to teach you the Base Foundation? Not necessary. It's all right here in the discussion board. Do not let your ignorance of the proper resources keep you at mediocre accordion play levels. This has been the down fall of so many that have come before you. LABEL THE GOT DAM VALVE COVER FINGERS OF YOUR ACCORDION WITH BOTH THE PUSH AND PULL NOTES!

You label them valve cover fingers, in time you will "Smoke" every last one of the so called experts on them got dam Cajun accordion instruction videos.

Greezy McGill
Hey Ryan, looks like you're starting out with the DVD's eh mon ami? Well unfortunately, they'll only teach you how to play certain songs. What they may not teach you is how to get to know and understand your Cajun accordion and what it's construction and reed/note lay out order can allow you as the accordion player to accomplish with said instrument.

Your greatest source is right where you are now. The Cajun Accordion Discussion Page. Especially the writings of Greezy McGill, 33rd Degree Master Musician, and THE BLUE MAX.

Last, but not least, the old Cajun music. Every Cajun accordion player out there learned how to play accordion by listening to Cajun music. So what do you want to learn? The style and technique of the "Johnny Come Latelys", or the styles and techniques of the "Old Master Pioneers"?

May I suggest learning exactly what your accordion is capable of before you go any farther, or be doomed to be a player without the essential Base Foundation.

Oh, you want me to teach you the Base Foundation? Not necessary. It's all right here in the discussion board. Do not let your ignorance of the proper resources keep you at mediocre accordion play levels. This has been the down fall of so many that have come before you. LABEL THE GOT DAM VALVE COVER FINGERS OF YOUR ACCORDION WITH BOTH THE PUSH AND PULL NOTES!

You label them valve cover fingers, in time you will "Smoke" every last one of the so called experts on them got dam Cajun accordion instruction videos.
Thanks for the info! I prefer the older music without drums. What are the limitations of my accordion?

Among the videos included in the link provided by the other guy, I’d specifically call out Chris Miller’s excellent 5-part breakdown of the Lovebridge Waltz:

https://youtu.be/s5yRgMUjBpI

Bassman
Among the videos included in the link provided by the other guy, I’d specifically call out Chris Miller’s excellent 5-part breakdown of the Lovebridge Waltz:

Thanks for the tip!

Bassman

Yes, I have to agree 1000% on that statement.

I think its one of the BEST lessons out there. Period..

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!