Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thumb Strap Leather

Bryan Lafleur
Most leather I\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve seen used on thumb straps is cheap leather of varying degrees. The best leather I\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve found for not stretching, longevity, and suppleness is bridle and latigo, all made for horse tack. I also like to use slightly thicker than normal straps. It feels a bit weird at first but they break in quickly and then feel very secure to me.
Thanks for the tip..

The strap that is on there I got from Charlie at CGM it stretched .

My thumb is getting a bit chaffed from the sharp edge of the Velcro I put on.. It does work pretty good no stretch yet but I presume will take a while. By then tho my thumb will be raw … ;-)

I have a couple of Tack shops here... Can you give me the name of make of bridle that you use for the thumb strap.. Tack shop here has a gazillion different makes..

tnx

I cut my own. Ask if they have pieces. Latigo is probably the best for being supple and will stretch the least. It's the leather they use on the cinch strap. You need 7/8 or 1". I usually use 1". Most you buy is real thin. I like using thicker, like 8 ounce. It feels bulky for a bit but breaks in and feels very secure.

Bryan Lafleur
I cut my own. Ask if they have pieces. Latigo is probably the best for being supple and will stretch the least. It's the leather they use on the cinch strap. You need 7/8 or 1". I usually use 1". Most you buy is real thin. I like using thicker, like 8 ounce. It feels bulky for a bit but breaks in and feels very secure.
Hi Bryan

Well thanks for that I just ordered some get in couple of weeks..

I ordered Latigo 1 inch 8-9 ounce which the girl said was about 1/8 thick..

tnx again

Thanks Bryan, I just used the information on strap material quality for a friend of mine. Seems he broke his thumb strap it was so old. I appreciate the inside scoop on the leather. The cinch strap makes perfect sense. I checked the leather on my old Red Wings used to pull the boot onto your foot. It seems perfect, but too dang short.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!