Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Buying a beginner accordian

Although I have not personally played on of those Chinese accordions, I can tell you that I have not heard any good reports regarding their playability.
You might try searching this forum for comments from people who have owned such accordions.
If you can find one (and they do become available from time to time) I'd say you’re far better off if you can locate a used genuine Louisiana built accordion.
I know from personal experience that having tried to learn on a very leaky Hohner 2-reeder that I was ready to give up on learning the instrument ..
If one has a “C” accordion, of course, you can play in”C”. From there, it gets a bit technical ..
If you play in the key of “G” on a “C” accordion, you will not have the “F#” .. just an “F” natural, so you'll be in Mixolydian mode .. Which is very handy for playing blues as you have a flatted 7th.
Playing in “F” is also possible, but now, you won't have the “Bfl” ..
You can think of this as if you were playing a piano but are restricted to the white keys only ..
Hope this helps a bit?
Best of luck in your quest :-)
--bn

Victoria, are you located near Crowley, LA? I would say try to get your hands on an older "C" accordion that is going for sale at around $500 to $1200. Before you buy it, have an experienced accordion player go with you and play on it. By experienced accordion players I mean someone who sounds like they know what they're doing when they play and have been playing for at least 15 to 25 years. A Cajun player that seems like they want to help you. Oh, and don't just jump at the 1st chance to buy any old accordion. Be picky! And haggle on that price! They are all over priced. I've heard of some people jacking up the price to $3000 dollars when the got dam accordion was only really worth $1500. Do not be fooled and be very suspect to all comers, unless you know them personally and then only be half suspect of them. LOL

Jr Martin in Lafayette used to have some older accordions that he would sell for a lower price, or you could go to Mouton accordions north of Crowley and see what "Greg" tells you he can do. Or you can wait for a Hohner HA-114 to come up for sale on the paper or online, or an older Cajun hand made.

Victoria,
I have the Cajun made Dove accordion that I bought from Dane, Bassman, several months ago and have recently upgraded to an Acadiana. I haven't gotten around to listing it but hope to over Thanksgiving. If you want more information or links feel free to email me ahead of my listing it.

It was the perfect instrument to learn on and test the waters of Cajun Accordion.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!