Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jam songs

Wednesday’s Blue Moon, Friday Begnaud House, Saturday Vermillionville, and Sunday I go to Bayou Teche Brewery...I am hoping to make it to Tom’s Fiddle and Bow though soon.

What’s your top ten songs for the jams? I don’t care about your theories, just your top ten songs

Madame Soustan, Saturday Night waltz, Grand Prarie Waltz, La Valse de Bayou Lafourche and not the Balfa Tout Jour's made up song, La Chemin Qui T'a Pris

Diggy Liggy La, Pauve Hobo, Chere Bébé, Eunice Two Step, Madeline

I started not to give you my list because of your snide remark about my "theory" you should have given Greezy and Blue one the same I might add the same **** advice

The comment is directed at everyone reading the post, Blue in particular.

It doesn't take long before somebody has their nose outta joint. Love this forum.

Funny you included that line while asking me for my list, you shouldn't have taken the short cut and included it while addressing me. Mr Guy you seem to be suffering from the illness you described.

funny you and Mr Guy didn't comment on my list of songs.

I wasn’t asking you for your list I was asking anybody reading the post. It was directed at any future poster to get it back on topic. No where in that post did I mention your name. I was using the word you in the plural sense.

Your question followed my post you started this ******* by asking for songs. You only had to ask once. Not only are you having problems playing the right songs you are having a problem communicating

Obviously I needed to ask again because only one person actually answered the question posed, If you are going to feel some kind of way about it or feel personally attacked that’s for you to figure out and work through. It’s got nothing to do with me.

1. McGill makes good points, however, Greezy and the Blue Max are the same person, so he is essentially just talking to himself.

2. Jerry, Josue was not talking to you with that "theory" line, if anything, he was talking to Greezy/Max. Chill out. Just because his comment followed yours doesn't mean he meant it for you.

3. Every Jam I have ever been too, "La Porte En Arrière" is played, because usually it's one of the first songs a beginner learns to play nowadays, and most everyone knows it.

4. Qui est pret pour le Mardi Gras? I know I am! Et la bouteille est bue! Tout à l'entour du fond d’hiver!

Hey Joe Sue, I understand your frustration with having to come up with 10 songs or so to have ready for your jam sessions. In your case, you're attending 3-4 different jam session per week. Do you keep playing the same 10 songs or do you learn 40 songs?

You don't want to hear theories and such, you only want a list of songs. That's just what I figured. Another accordion player wanting instant results without having to pay the price of patience.

Figure out your own got dam list. The other thing is, you didn't go back and read. Not long ago on this forum I opened up a playlist to the whole got dam world. On that playlist there are currently 137 different videos and versions of Cajun songs with what key accordion is being played, and the which key of that accordion is being used to play the song. I'm even starting to add which fiddle tunings are best to use for each song. I figure you can go and do the work yourself and find out how to get to that list and pick your got dam list of songs from it.

4 jam sessions a week man? That is almost to the point of sickness. Don't you have to work for a living?

I'm not being mean to you, I'm only trying to steer you into a point of view that may serve you more better.

Oh, and D-wag, why you hatin? I don't like the idea that you say that I'm only talking to myself and no one is listening. That is very hurtful that you would say such a thing. Is that your complete understanding of my efforts? That I am some crazy guy that mutters nonsense only to myself? That anything I say or type is useless to anyone else?

Greezy, I did not say that at all; you always have great topics and source knowledge...which confuses me as to why you use so many different personalities. It's kind of off-putting for me to see you hold conversations with yourself. We all know that you are The Blue Max and 33rd degree Master Musician...you're not fooling anyone (well, your not fooling me, anyway) so I find it very odd that you feel the need to pretend to be different people. But, like I said, you are one knowledgeable dude when it comes to Cajun culture and music.

Greezy, I apologize, please don't let my smart-ass remarks discourage you from posting.

Ok D. Thank you for that. I must have read your comments using my combative personality yesterday. To you too Joesu'(can you tell us how to pronounce your name). I may have come off pretty hard on you as well. For that, I also apologize to you both. I'll be the first to admit that I do have multi personalities. They all serve me well depending on the situation LOL.

D-wag, an explanation of the different personalities....they are stick figures. Don't ever forget that. If you ever meet us in person, they will hide themselves but, the attentive person might be able to detect them within us. We use them due to the nature of the internet. If we were to use our real names identifying our person or persons, with all the controversial things we tend to say, the guilt and worry of the judgment upon our persons would be too much. We already tried it and it did not go well. Ok, I will go back to speaking in the singular now. This multi personality talk is starting to freak me out too.

Joesu', I used to attend jam sessions myself. The older players that I knew personally, never carried a written song list. They didn't carry a song book either. They played the songs that they felt they wanted to play or they'd play the songs that someone at the jam would request. Sometimes, the fiddle players would start a song and the old accordion players would either pick it up or not play along at all. Sometimes, some other accordion player at the jam would pick it up instead. As time goes by, the well practiced accordion player will be able to pick up on just about any song and pull it off as if he knows it provided the song being played is within the keys that his accordion, and he himself, the accordion player is capable of playing. You really need to communicate with the fiddle players at them jam sessions. Get their input and find out which key they prefer playing in according to how they have their fiddle tuned. Then, with time, you practice playing songs on your accordion on those keys. You do realize that a fiddle player (and guitar players too) prefer certain key songs when he or she is playing fiddle or guitar? Just like accordion players prefer playing in either "C" or "G" on the "C" accordion. Let these hidden facts guide you and your list making.

The list isn't so much to carry to the Jams, it's for home practice and learning the lyrics and finding them on records. If 4 people would give 10 songs, that's 40 new songs to practice the lyrics etc...

I'm glad no one included La Porte En Arriere in their list. Used to love that song and now can only listen to the original.

My short list that I'd play at any jam and most fiddlers should know.

2 steps
Eunice
One Step de Chameaux
Midland
Port Aurthur Blues
Walker Special

Waltz
Criminelle
Vacher
Platin
Sosthene
Minuit

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!