Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
does anyone know the name/lyrics of this song?

Hello you all,

On youtube I found a recording of a song (I like a lot) played at the festival of Saulieu in France by Emilie Vidrine and friends, and I would like to know title and if possible lyrics.
Here's the link of this recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jBR9Dc0sTA

Looking forward to your feedback

regards, Jos

Re: does anyone know the name/lyrics of this song?

This a song recorded by Jim Oliver "Just Like A Cajun" The song you are listening to is just played faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIlXXLLswE4

I believe that's "Ta Petite Robe Courte." Check out High Performance, Paul Daigle, and Tracy Schwarz - all on YouTube. Lyrics on CajunLyrics.com.

Funny. I'm working on that one myself, as we speak!

The tune is similar but the lyrics are to the song I posted

Jerry, I'm just an Anglophone from T-Town, but Sam begins with a phrase that that sounds like "Va mettre ta p'tite robe courte," the lyrics published for the Daigle/Elkins version of Ta Petite Robe Courte.

I don't hear that in your song, but I agree the melody is the same. As my memory serves me, there is also an old American song with that melody.

Maybe someone in Laffy can simply ask Sam Giarrusso or one of the Vidrines?

He mixes the lyrics from both songs I think. Tit Robe Court is a copy cat song so I always go to the older songs. . And Oliver probably stole the tune too

I am listening to it on my iphone and yeah it's Tit Robe Court, when I listened to it on my lap top I skipped the beginning of the song and went to the where he started singing the second part. Hat's off to you. It's a song I don't listen to. I never cared for Robert Elkins music. When Paul started playing without him I liked his music better

Yes, Emilie Vidrine/S. Giarrusso, P. Daigle/R. Elkins, Savoy Family band... all sing the 'Tite Robe Courte lyrics that can be found at Cajunlyrics.com... And to my ears, the French singer in the Tee Franglais video has a completely incomprehensible articulation (particularly in the first part), unlike the Cajun singers who sound much clearer.

Christian, the singer, Samuel Giarrusso, is a native of Troyes, France. I guess dat's da way dey tawk!

Hello you all,
I have that CD Cajun Gold and just listened to that song and indeed this is the same song but much easier to understand.
Given we learned french and use it reagularly (in Belgium there are three parts, a flemishspeaking, frenchspeaking and germanspeaking part) and we understand these so we'll be able to determine the lyrics.
But without your help I would never have found the link to that Daigle-Elkins' song.
One comment still: most french singers are rather easy to understand, but this one (Samuel Giarrusso) is really hard to understand.

Thanks a lot!!!
jos

Yes, and now he lives in Louisiana.

Marc

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!