Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Internet Discussion Forum of Long Ago

and what does this have to do with learning to play the perrodin two step?

look to the top of this page...what does it say? Cajun accordion discussion group ...not bible school. i'm sure that if you look you can find a religious group/page to ponder that subject.NOT FOR HERE.sorry for the short rant but this sort of stuff isn't for learning the accordion.

Totally cool thanks CJ

hell, somone had to say it.... might as well have been me, ain't scared. Now lets learn a new song, keep squeezing and as Mitch Reed says stay inspired.

I have been on his ass for a long time to put up or shut up. It's nice to have some backup but he can't backup his **** and even if he could it wouldn't be interesting nor inspiring.

I had the privilege to meet a Cajun who sounds like the old masters and is probably considered an old master now Mr. Robert Jardell. What a fine three hours spent listening to him perform.

Right you are Randy. Jardell can bring it old style better than most. He's very aware of keeping it traditional and he sticks to it. Yet his name does not get mentioned as much as those that would break tradition and create "new" Cajun Music. I believe he likes to keep sort of a low profile for the most part. He's just a regular ole Cajun with a day job, just sitting right there in the little rural community of Morse, Louisiana holding all that talent for whomever might come along. Well, he's not really that old in body, but his soul is definitely from the old times. Dewey Balfa even had Jardell as a replacement for Nathan Abshire at one point in time. There must have been something special about Jardell. Imagine Dewey Balfa driving up to your house to see you instead of you having to go see him. It was documented on video.

For CJ,
Let he who hath ears to with, hear. And he who hath eyes to see with, see. If all you want to do is learn the Perrodin, there is plenty of discussion about that song right here on the board. There's even a few sound bite videos posted of it done by different bands / instruments. The problem with the Perrodin is that it is a (very fast) two step done on the push in the key of "C" (1st position) on the "C" accordion in most all cases. Two steps on the push tend to be difficult to master because the Cajun accordion player's muscle memory for most two steps has been conditioned over time to play two steps on the pull (in the 5th) for the most part. It is a good practice to try and convert (to the push) as many two steps as you can that were meant to be played on the pull. I would start with Je'tais Au Bal. Do the melody and the turn on the push. It is very possible, but takes some work to pull it off convincingly enough. Once you get good at it, try converting Johnnie Can't Dance to the push. After that, play a two step like "Talle de Ronces" aka Wafus Two Step that was meant to be played on the push. Familiarize your fingers with all those push combinations and progression orders at two step speed.
This is the problem with many accordion players. They want it NOW! Yet they refuse to apply patience, their eyes, and their ears which all tend to feed the conscious. You must "Choose" to directly embed knowing and wisdom into your conscious without distraction!! Play one song at a time, but learn to play that one song in all of the positions that are possible on the Cajun accordion. Hell, play them at waltz speed and two step speed if you can. Not all of them will sound good at first, but it is possible to make them sound good eventually.

I digress for one part of what I said above....The Perrodin is done on "D" accordions most of the time, but there are some recordings and videos available where it is done on the "C" accordion.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!