Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's in a name?

Folks I don't understand it. We have a character on here that goes by four different names. And some of you wait for his next post on playing the accordion in ridiculous positions. Here are the names Greezy 33rd Degree, Blue Max and tonight he sprung a new one Old Geezer. If any of you need his help on playing the accordion, you are really in bad shape. He has been challenged by a few of us to put up or shut up and it hasn't produced anything. The only way we are ever going to be rid of this garbage is quit responding to his post. If you want to learn go to you tube it will be time better spent

Re: What's in a name?

Jerry, I think that those "ridiculous positions", which all exist, are learnable, provable, and demonstrable, play the most important role to understanding Cajun music and hold the answers as to why Cajun accordion players struggle with their accordions for so long, yet remain mediocre players. Don't be so hard on Greezy. He's really onto something here. It's like the holy grail of accordion playing. Why do you want to see him crucified so badly? He's only trying to give unto you the power of knowledge that is being denied you by others and most importantly, by your very own unwillingness to accept such enlightenment and power. I can personally attest to the fact that Greezy knows what he's saying because, believe it or not, he can demonstrate his knowledge on a moments notice, and he can also explain it more and more as he learns these "tricks" both in real time and from information realized in his past. It is a wonder to behold! The man is driven and cannot be stopped by anyone but himself. I sure would like to know what lit his spark far back in his distant past. And what material his burning fuse is made of.? Because it's frickin nuclear! A great wonder to some, yet dangerous as o hell to others.

Re: What's in a name

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMFAO to show how ridiculous your point is, fiddle players can't play in the different positions on the fiddle most bring to fiddles to the gig 1. standard tuned 2. tuned down. Secondly most vocalist can't sing in different keys so the they stick with the two basic keys. Thirdly the guitar player will have to learn different chords as well. And finally Cajun music today is strictly dance music. Few if any listen to the lyrics and if they do the songs by some make absolutely no sense. Finally the dance crowd could care less what key the band is playing in. So take your music theory and shove it up your ass.

Re: What's in a position on the violin

It's possible to play on the fiddle on more positions :blush:
I remember it from the time one of my daughters gets violin lessons.
It's another thing, but they are positions.

If you want the original sound with you need to tune the fiddle lower for a C-accordion and normal fiddle tuning for a D-accordion.
No idea how it has to be for other accordions and when the accordion is played in one of the more complicated keys/positions. I suppose that the fiddler need to play much more so called double stops ?????

Here an example of violin positions :joy: :joy: :joy:

Of course it is Melodeon the point is most fiddle players can’t

Jerry, I know a Cajun fiddler that lives just down the road from me in the back of Gueydan that knows how to play the 1st and 2nd position on the fiddle. He recently retired from playing Cajun music and doesn't even want to talk about it with me. LOL

Thank You Melo. That video pretty much just served Jerr his own foot. How's it taste Jerr?

Remember Melo, there are more tunings for the Cajun fiddle than just DGAE and FCGD. I think, if I remember correctly, that there are like 12 more! I just looked over at my little guide sheet in a dimly lit room and I think I counted 14 total? LOL, crazy isn't it? But for some of those possible tunings, the dam strings start popping as I have very recently discovered. LOL So when that happens, I cross that particular tuning off of my list. The fiddle shop is all the way over der in Eunice, or in Lafayette at SOLA (Anya Burgess-Bon Soir Catin and Fiddle Luthier). I cant be runnin over there to get a new set of strings every time I retune to one of these lost cross tunings. Someone needs to invent a kapo for the fiddle maybe?

your ignorance of how to play a violin or fiddle is obvious who ever you are Mr. Accordion Guru

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!