Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: discussion?

**** you this isn't a popularity contest, go pull your accordion instead of your pud

JNightshade
Hey Craig how did Creole Stomp turn out?

How the heck I share youtube vid, I tried copying and past embeded code but it dont show up

Well between Saturday and Sunday I learned the first part but that as far as I got, hope Im playing it right sounds like it to me other than my timing may be off idk. Been a busy week between day job and working late in my shop but I have been playing a little bit each day of what I got down so far. Maybe this weekend I can move on the the next part. Yall let know if it sounds right

Craig, you're lookin' good and soundin' good! (Love dat Zebrawood)

I just had to re-learn this song to get in sync with my fiddler, and that's almost like starting over. Went with Chad Huval's version from the Huval Family Band video at Pont Breauxs.

It's a good song to build your chops on - you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. Lache pas!

Merci! Ima have to check out Chad's video. Yea I like zebra wood. I have a custom on the next batch that's gonna be very similar but rosewood veneer on the endplates.

Aw yeah Craig! My goal while offshore is to learn Chere Alice. We need to jam at your shop when I come back in! Hell, even Greezy can come! Greezy, just pick up some gratons from Lougon's on ya way to Lacassine...my coozan Cru cooks up pretty good over-there!

Heck ya Wag, I've been wanting to have something in my shop.

Keep going nobody is put on this earth knowing how to play. Well maybe the Ardoin family

Hey Craig, would that be an "E" accordion by chance? That would put your Creole
Stomp song in the key of "B" since you're playing it on the pull in the 5th. (E,f,g,a,B) I don't have an "E" accordion so I had a hard time following along with you. Until I grabbed my "D" accordion and started playing in it's "Mardi Gras Key"!! (D,e,f,g,a,B minor) Thanks man! I know now more than I knew before! Good job Mr. Vincent, you're doing well on one of the hardest pull songs ever created! It's that very first part that tends to get accordion players. They never can seem to make it sound like Aldus Roger could. That's because Aldus plays it "straight style" without the doubles reach to that pull on 3 and 7. Not reaching for them doubles, Aldus was able to hammer them quick little notes, thrills, and tricks all on just 3 or 4 keys and with the help of his awesome band, making the people and other accordion players think he was a King.

Oh, and heres another example of one of them "Gypsy Key" songs for you to ponder. John Trahan's "Indian Bayou Two Step". It is done on a "C" accordion in what seems like the key of "G", but with a fuel injected "E". If you ever get to learning how to play this supposed "G" song, you may find that you have a hard time playing your seconds with it at some parts of the song. They simply don't match. Well that's because the very rare and supposedly non existent 6th position is in play with all of them "E" Gypsy tones. I hope you have a "C" accordion Craig. Why in the heck did you choose to get that "E" accordion man?:sunglasses:

If you play along with the fiddle and the steel guitar ride, you may notice them Gypsy "E's" come into play even more. The HOLY GHOST sings. And it sings in 3 different places I was talking about on any key accordion. Push on buttons 1/4, 4/7, 7/10. I hope you and everybody else can grasp this concept.

Greezy McGill
Hey Craig, would that be an "E" accordion by chance? That would put your Creole
Stomp song in the key of "B" since you're playing it on the pull in the 5th. (E,f,g,a,B) I don't have an "E" accordion so I had a hard time following along with you. Until I grabbed my "D" accordion and started playing in it's "Mardi Gras Key"!! (D,e,f,g,a,B minor) Thanks man! I know now more than I knew before! Good job Mr. Vincent, you're doing well on one of the hardest pull songs ever created! It's that very first part that tends to get accordion players. They never can seem to make it sound like Aldus Roger could. That's because Aldus plays it "straight style" without the doubles reach to that pull on 3 and 7. Not reaching for them doubles, Aldus was able to hammer them quick little notes, thrills, and tricks all on just 3 or 4 keys and with the help of his awesome band, making the people and other accordion players think he was a King.

Oh, and heres another example of one of them "Gypsy Key" songs for you to ponder. John Trahan's "Indian Bayou Two Step". It is done on a "C" accordion in what seems like the key of "G", but with a fuel injected "E". If you ever get to learning how to play this supposed "G" song, you may find that you have a hard time playing your seconds with it at some parts of the song. They simply don't match. Well that's because the very rare and supposedly non existent 6th position is in play with all of them "E" Gypsy tones. I hope you have a "C" accordion Craig. Why in the heck did you choose to get that "E" accordion man?:sunglasses:

If you play along with the fiddle and the steel guitar ride, you may notice them Gypsy "E's" come into play even more. The HOLY GHOST sings. And it sings in 3 different places I was talking about on any key accordion. Push on buttons 1/4, 4/7, 7/10. I hope you and everybody else can grasp this concept.
Yes sir Greezy that is an E, idk I just love the sound of an E so I made that one. I like that Aldus version. Yea I have a C,D,E and by this summer I should be finish with my C#.
If I get the song down well enough that i think it may help someone else I will post it and play it on my C, I didnt think about that the first time.
Merci!

Well jesus cripes! That's a dam good job on building your own accordions! That talent is way beyond my reach. You're going to go places Craig. I have a good feeling about you. And with a last name like that, I'm pretty sure you live just down the road from me. LOL

Greezy, I already invited you to come hang out and jam with Craig and I, we're over in the Welsh/Lacassine area.

D-wag, We planned to meet at the Lake Arthur Bar. I aint forgot about that. I'm just letting time go by so's you won't associate me with Greezy McGill when I do finally walk up to yall and say, "Hey, mind if I just sit and watch for a while?" I won't bring my accordion the first time. I don't want to scare the people. LOL

Greezy, they only had the jam that one time at LA Bar, it didn't take, I guess. I've been pestering Craig about having jams in his accordion-building shop in Ardoin Cove (Southwest of Welsh, East of Lacassine). Craig and I are both originally from Lake Arthur. In fact, our grandparents were neighbors, and we've been friends since we were toddlers. Anyway, we're both always busy with work and family, but one of these days we'll get it together, haha!

Decided to learn the Amede Two-Step for the 3 weeks that I'm offshore...Here's my attempt at the first part:

Craig - great effort and great accordion. Took me a while to work out 'E' though. One thing, toward the end when you pull six and ten and then pull the eight my ears prefer the pull on the seven.

Don't do it D-wag! That's the devil's song! It is a combination of songs done by Amede Ardoin that inspired Marc Savoy's Amede Two Step. For you and everyone else to understand that, all you need to do it make an attempt to learn Amede Ardoin's recordings. Before long, you will start to recognize which songs Marc Savoy created the Amede Two Step from. Yes, it is catchy and impressive when done full on and at speed, but there's more behind that song than meets the eye, ear, and mind. It is most definitely a "show boat" song for everyone else but Marc Savoy. That's the reason that we didn't play that song at the Savoy Music Center during them Saturday morning jam sessions. Most couldn't do it, but for those of us who knew how to play it and play it well, we would choose not to play it. It was one of the unspoken rules and taboo songs of that particular jam.

Learn it if you want to, but there are so many other songs that you could learn that will actually teach you something on that accordion.

The Amede has a way of teaching you the opposite of good on that accordion. LOL, it happened to be the second two step that I learned and learned very well. Little did I know what I was getting myself into by chasing Marc Savoy's Amede Two Step. It elevated my reputation too quickly. People would always ask me to play it and their opinion and my own opinion of my playing got blown up out of proportion compared to my actual abilities. Before long, my head exploded, lol. Not very funny, take it from me. It is very much indeed a "show boat" song.

If you want to learn it in the good way, learn this version. It is in no way related to Marc Savoy's version except by name. You'll need a "D" accordion though. Hey, you'll even get to learn part of "Madeline" while you're at it.

Whatever songs an accordion player hears and chooses to learn will actually shape his understanding and abilities on that accordion and his perceptions of the Cajun music for most of his playing years. Certain songs will show you certain secrets about your accordion and the music. While other songs will show you virtually nothing special at all and busy you with wasted efforts! Choose carefully my friend. Choose carefully.

Look who else I found that knew about the 6th position or key and sure didn't mention a word about it on the discussion board. The key of E minor on this "C" accordion. 6 got dam years ago he knew. How do I know he knew? Well, in addition to playing on the push buttons 4 and 7(the middle E minor), he's also playing that top most E minor. Buttons 1 and 4 on the push. You don't play those buttons unless you absolutely know about The Holy Ghost Key.

Chris Miller playing "Bon Soir Moreau" with fuel injected E's. The Melancholy Key.

Man this 6 positions conspiracy goes deeper than a crawfish for a cold cold winter! He go DEEP DEEP!

Gosh Dam Jerry! 300 views and counting! Woo Hoo! This could go all the wayyy!

A song for you Holy Greezy:

On nous cache tout, on nous dit rien
Plus on apprend plus on ne sait rien
On nous informe vraiment sur rien...

:smiling_imp:

Christian.....Pas Rien! My Grandmother used to scream that phrase back at my Grandfather when he was trying to coax her into telling him what was wrong with her. LOL She'd scream, "Pas Rien!" translated "Nothing!" And he was supposed to shut up after she yelled this at him. We all were supposed to shut up and go play outside by the mulberry tree when she did that. Do you understand what I'm saying now? You'll have to read between the lines (as always) to get it.

Here you go D-wag. Do you want to learn a song? A song that will teach you more than most people expect it would because they don't have the "ear" like Cajuns do? A song that will familiarize you with so many turns, runs, and reels of the Cajun Repertoir? A "Bad Ass**" song like no other?

Well here you go. But you'll need that "D" accordion. Good Luck. Force yourself to listen to it, especially the second half of the song, or you'll be doing yourself a great injustice.

What a horrible grandmother, Greezy! You must have suffered a lot! I would have hated her.

LOL, she was stern. But under her care, I never suffered one iota of strife nor fear. She protected us with all her might. But we sure as hell knew to never curse or misbehave in her presence. A true old fashioned German Cajun woman. She had to learn English with her children (my mother, aunts, and uncles) that were getting beaten and shamed in public school for speaking the only language they knew, Cajun French. She learned English with them in order to protect them from their teachers. Not so horrible when you think about it.

She would give my Grandfather hell because he often acted the fool with the grand children and letting us do crazy stuff like drive trucks and such at the ripe old age of 4 or so. There is an account of him letting two of his sons take a truck to the neighbors. One drove the stirring wheel, the other was on the floor pushing the gas and the brake. They were 5 and 6. LOL, so yeah, she would get pretty mad at him sometimes. The volume of her voice was set to German standards. So when she was angry and said the words "pas rien!" in a very loud tone, we all knew the dynamite had been lit! Get the hell out of dodge and go to the mulberry tree for a few hours. Ahhhhhh Life! Did I over share? LOL Was that too much?

Chris Miller once typed these words in the description of his video where he plays his version of the Mardi Gras song:

And I quote...
" This traditional tune is a bit odd for Cajun accordion repertoire because it is in A minor. When I first heard this tune in my youth, it was never with a band...it was with solo accordion and/or voice. I provide a bit of stomping hear, there is usually a lot of that on the "Courir de Mardi Gras!" I always thought it had an odd sort of appeal--a quirky, haunting character...guess that really fits for Mardi Gras!"

So, I Greezy McGill decide to look up the definition of "quirky". How in the hell did Mr. Miller know to use the word "quirky", and why did he use that particular word to describe the Cajun Mardi Gras song? I heard he was a school teacher?

-------------------------------------------------------
quirky - characterized by peculiar or unexpected traits (eccentric, idiosyncratic, unconventional, unorthodox, unusual, off-center, strange, bizarre, weird, peculiar, odd, freakish, outlandish, offbeat, out of the ordinary, Bohemian, alternative, zany;)

Something or someone that is strange/not normal, but cool like Greezy McGill
-------------------------------------------------------

LOL, you folks have a great spring and summer. Continue your discoveries on the Cajun accordion. Remember that the pursuit of mastery of the Cajun accordion can be addictive and time consuming, taking you away from family and friends and everyday activities and task. That's because Cajun accordion playing can be and usually is for me at least, "an escape" from the realities and responsibilities of modern times and society. It is like a "Rubics Cube" that makes more and more progressively beautiful sounds every time you turn its rows in the correct direction and get closer and closer to solving the puzzle. Thus, in the end, satisfying our mind's seemingly endless need to find, recognize, and master previously unseen or unnoticed patterns. The recognition of patterns and eventually the ability to apply those patterns to life will usually, but not always, bring about the much sought after good and satisfying feeling of "peace of mind".

Will the world still want to hear Cajun accordion when we finally discover every known and unknown pattern of the Cajun accordion and Cajun music? No, the world won't, but a few people here and there spread throughout the world will. And we will die and be made into legends (or forgotten) by new generations that come after us. But in the end, it is the music, the culture, the legends, and the common lone musician seeking to fit into a world that would reject him or her that keeps it going.

Jerray!!! Over 350 views and counting! See if you can find my message in this song.
"D" accordion key of "D" on the push.
Or, if you're really brave
"C" accordion key of "D" Blues Key.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!