Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Revon Reed's 1957 Courir de Mardi Gras Article

Nice!

Interesting Wade! I got nervous just reading about Mardi Gras. My Agent Orange started to act up.

I hear you're the man that knows how to get things. Especially if it's classic French Cajun music. If so, I have a request. If you have the time and resources and don't mind helping a character such as I.

I'm looking for Oscar "Slim" Doucet's recording of "Chere Yeux Noirs" Dear Black Eyes.
Not to be confused with "Tit Yeux Noirs" Little Black Eyes. << I DO NOT LIKE THAT SONG!

YouTube doesn't seem to be able to get it right as they are showing a few videos under "Slim" Doucet which are titled the Waxia Special and Chere Yeux Noir. Although they are titled differently, they all end up being the Waxia Special. Dang fool algorhythm I guess.

Are you able to put a good quality version of Slim Doucet's Chere Yeux Noir on YouTube? Do you have that recording? If you can put it on You Tube, I will automatically put it on my personal public playlist "Classic French Music" which is available for the world to see, listen to, and learn from. Tu peux aide La Revolucion mon ami!

Greezy, sent me an email and I sent you a MP3 of the song if you want :blush:
I have the Waxia Special too if you want :relaxed:
My email is standing below the text, with my real name :joy::joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Greezy, if you go to the website:

http://npmusic.org/artists.html

you can download "Chere Yeux Noirs" by Slim Doucet, among many others. Here is the address for the song itself:

http://npmusic.org/Slim_Doucet_Chere_Yeux_Noirs.mp3

That's where I found it too a long time ago.
A few days ago I couldn't find it anymore because I was searching for Slim instead of Oscar Doucet :-(
Lovely song :-)

Thanks for the link D-Wag. I used to frequent the Hadacol website myself a long time ago. That's where I first found "Chere Yeux Noir". I had trouble getting on the website at one time and stopped visiting. The links you provided worked well. I was able to save the copy of the song to desktop.

I sure wanted to get it on You Tube though to add to my public playlist. So far, my talents don't include posting or creating You Tube videos. But I sure as hell have learned how to exploit the hell out of You Tube.

Wade, my request still stands for posting Slim Doucet's "Chere Yeux Noir" on You Tube if you are able. In fact, if anybody can do it, I would be grateful. And eventually, I will repay you for your efforts in a way that you won't be expecting.

Greezy,

The interesting thing is........Slim Doucet is playing on a "G" accordion for both the Waxia Special and Chere Yeux Noir!

Thanks to him playing the Waxia Special as a 2-key song, I was able to decipher which key accordion he was using. He plays the 1st part in the key of "D". Which is in the 5th on the pull of that "G" accordion. (For this I followed along with a "D" accordion on the push in "D"). Then the 2nd part switches to the push in the key of "G" on that "G" accordion. (For this I followed along with a "C" accordion on the pull in the key of "G".

As for Chere Yeux Noir. Slim Doucet plays it on the pull on that "G" accordion which would make the song in the key of "D". (G,A,B,C,D) Five notes forward from the "G". And here's the best part...He plays every button on that keyboard! Aaaaamazing for an accordion player way back then! I wouldn't have thought it possible if I hadn't done it for myself after finally figuring out what position to play it in. So, D-Wag, you just helped to solve roughly a 10 year project I've had on the back burner for some time now. Thanks for the link.

Listening to the recordings would make most unknowing accordion players think it was being done in one position when it was actually being done in another better and more versatile position. Steve Riley did the Waxia on his instruction video. The last that I recall, Steven didn't own a "G" accordion back then. Which means he must have figured it out with a "C" and a "D" accordion just like I did. Sneaky Sneaky.

I still need Chere Yeux Noir posted on You Tube folks. So I can share it in a more wide spread and effective manner. So that maybe one day you folks won't have to spend 30-50 dollars on an accordion instruction video. You'll be able to figure it all out on your own for free and consequently, with much more understanding and satisfaction. In other words, you won't be getting robbed of your full potential by some hot shot accordion player trying to make a quick buck off of your inspired ignorance.

Re: Revon Reed's 1957 Courir de Mardi Gras Article (slim on youtube)

Here are the two songs of Oscar Slim Doucet Chere Yeux Noirs and Waxia Special

Chere yeux noirs

Waxia Special

Man, just listen to Slim's "G" sing that lullaby! Old style, old sound! Excellent Sound Quality and True To Key! I now consider Slim Doucet's "Chere Yeux Noir" his greatest "RIFF in the 5th". Gave it to the world, but the world didn't know what it was getting nor did it realize how to apply it.

God bless you and keep you Melo. That's twice now you've come through for me on You Tube postings that didn't exist. I haven't forgotten "The Creole Stomp" by Aldus that you put on You Tube. Still got it and play along with it often. I owe you big time now.

Gone put these two on my world wide public playlist today. Thank You! The Cajun accordion world is better off now because of you my friend.

Now I got to figure out something special to do for you..........

We also need someone with a "G" accordion to figure out what the living hell Slim is doing for the turn of the "Waxia". Personally, I think he goes off on an incoherent tangent using some kind of convoluted sequence from the bowels of his soul!

No problem Greezy !
I love the list you made even if I know many songs from it, but there are some jewels in it which I don't know.
My favourite is Nonc Edward with Paul Daigle and Cravat is very good too :slightly_smiling_face:
I picked Aldus Roger/Creole Stomp from youtube in 2013 and put it back a while ago because I couldn't find it anymore.
Thanks for the blessing, but I'm affraid God isn't with me because I try to play accordion and banjo too. Can't be good :joy: :joy: :joy:
When I heard about the G accordion you triggered me because I get an old G accordion a few weeks ago (Hohner H114) from Hungary. Somebody bought it in London, a second one bought it in New Orleans, gave it to somebody from Scotland, he was going to Hungary were the accordion was somewhere in the house for years and now it's in the Netherlands.
I hope it's not the green accordion from Accordion Crimes of Annie Proulx :joy: :joy:
Don't bother about something to do for me, because you let me laughing many times with your contributions here and you convince me to start learning some songs in more that one way on the same accordion, because it's usefull to become better friends with the one row.

Melo, are you saying that you have a "G" accordion? Have you tried to play along with both recordings? Does it match? I've got to be sure. Slim Doucet has eluded me and many others for long enough! It's time to know for certain.

I didn't do it, but I try it a few minutes ago and I think you're right about the G accordion. But the G I have is an old one and I have to repair some thing before it's good to play. But as far as I can hear he played a G accordion.

Awesome! When you get that "G" fixed up let me know if you are able to create the same magic as Slim. Careful, you may conjure up some kind of ghost if you play "Yeux Noir" just like he did.:worried: :hushed:

Since the original topic of this thread was Mardi Gras, here's a news clip from our Courir in Cameron Parish, complete with an interview of yours truly...first time I've ever watched myself on TV, hah! Accordion and Fiddle players are John Alva Leger and Scott Romero, respectively.

Thanks Wade! Enjoyed that!

2 pics of Revon Reed road between Mamou and Duralde on the way to Basile.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!