Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: just has that one trick chord

a matter of tase i guess but the progression goes c e f g a very nice and simple way to move up the scale in the key of C since Eminor is the relative minor of G.. but E major has nothing to do with the key of C and if you stick it in there the progression cefg makes less sense and I just played it on the guitar.. the emajor derails what the song is meant to do... in my maybe not humble enough opinion.

Re: tunes in minor keys

Peer
... this version is 100 % minor ....
Well, i'd say maybe listen a little closer, she improvises a lot, and does the same trick on the 7th too ...

Ha Nout,

Maybe it's the age, but I didn't hear any or many major thirds(in this case a B), and not one single "gypsy" note (F#), so for me this version is still minor to me.
Of course I had heard all those major and minor sevenths (F's and F#'s),and the switching between them. Fortunately, I'm not completely deaf yet! Very subtle and beautiful indeed!
But IMHO this version of Paddy Fahey's is in Gm, Dorian Scale, with occasional major 7ths.
But, how OT can we get? : Fiddle, not accordion, Irish, and not Cajun, and a lot of notes which are not even doable on a CA! (I tried to play it on my C box (in Dm, the only possible way), but I lack the low A, so it didn't work)
But still, a lovely piece of music. Thanks for posting!
See you monday hopefully around 9 at Tom's. (I have a gig first) so we can discuss this futher if you want!

oops

I was wrong. She plays an Aeolian note too -Eb- and the very last double stop she plays is a G major chord.

oops 2

And, of course, lots and lots of F#s, alternated with F's.

1755, that's another one in a minor key. Sounds similar to the mardi gras song in certain parts too.

Pauline, or Donnez-moi Pauline.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!