Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wet tuning?

So i hear a lot about wet tuned accordions and i do favor one of the mid banks being wet tuned but can anyone tell me where it comes from and what its it's mainly usedfor?

Re: Wet tuning?

By setting one of the mid banks sharp, a dissonant pulsing or warbling sound is created. It sounds more like an organ. Typical wet for a Cajun box is 15 cents, also 10 cents is popular or half-wet 7.5 cents for milder effect. Some 3-rows go up 20 cents.

Zydeco players seem to favor wet tuning. Also I have found more wet tuned Cajun accordions in the western Golden Triangle area, whereas most prairie and bayou Cajuns seem to prefer dry.

If you have a wet-tuned box, you can choke (partially close) or close the off-tuned bank for drier/dry sound. If you choke a dry-tuned box, the bank goes flat, so you don't get the exact same effect as the sharp method.

Re: Wet tuning?

First:
Anything than octave or unison tuning is by definition "wet"

If you have a 2 reed or 3 or 4 reed box tuned unison or dry, you have a concertina sound.

I like some degree of "wet" so that my boxes don't sound like concertinas.
Also

There is a thing called "difference tuning" Meaning anything flat or sharp of (A440) or your base tuning will give you more "presence" and believe it or not more "projection" and volume"

And of course this has zip all to do with "Cajun" or "Pythagorean" or "just" tuning or 12 TET tuning.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!