U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life after Service

I was just wondering what happens to our dog soldiers after their service is no longer needed? I would hope that these guys would get to come home as well.

Forgive me if this has already been addressed somewhere. Thanks.

Re: Life after Service

A resolution was passed by congress in Nov. 2000
which authorized the Department of Defence to setup an adoption program for retiring military Working Dogs.These resolution can be found on our web site, along with an application for adoption.
Most retiring Military Working Dogs are adopted out of Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Tx.
This adoptiong program has worked out quite nicely for our retiring K-9.
Your second part of your question, Yes, These K-9's do come home.
I hope this answers your question.
If anyone has anything to add to my reply, please do so.

I was told about the war dogs yesterday at Luv a Pet in Va. Beach. They are accepting donations for the brave K9 troops serving in Iraq. What got my attention was the manager was told that the dogs do not come home. She was not told whether they were euthanized or adopted out in Iraq. She also was not told why they did not get to come home after having served our country. Would love to know the truth if anyone has it to offer.

I have since been informed by Ron, that the dogs do come home with their handlers. I am happy for the correction and that these wonderful animals do get to come home.