U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My son is Looking to go in the Military and work with dog

My son wants to go in the Military to work with dogs but it has been hard finding info about which branch is best. As a mother I am scared of him going in the Army or Marines in a time of war so I was hoping that the Navy or the Coast Guard has what he is looking for, if anyone can help us it would be greatly appriciated.
Thank You
A mom looking to
help her son

Re: My son is Looking to go in the Military and work with dog

I would like to do the same. GOOD LUCK!!!

Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas is the main provider for military K9 training dogs to most of the brances of the service......
Their K9 School is also located here...........

Dennis

Ma'am,

Although every branch of service has MWDs, Dennis is correct in indicating the importance of Lackland to the MWD community. Most of the cadre and trainers are Air force and Army and it is the home of dogs for the DOD (Department of Defense).
Now if your son desires to get into the K9 field then he has more options in the law enforcement arena (MPs)since they have several types of dogs (narc, pedd, etc), but keep in mind that the Army Engineers have dogs as well. It is not widely known that Engineers have dogs since it is a relatively new program, but they are currently doing great things in countermine operations and IED defeat. Ask any handler, once you get the leash in your hand, it really doesn't matter if you are putting on a bite sleeve or searching a house for explosives, it's always a good day when your K9 buddy is with you. Once your son gets his foot in the door in the K9 community, he will have many options open to him. I would encourage your son to continue researching and to talk to recruiters about job options in each branch. I wish you and him the best of luck.

v/r,
Jason

I, myself, am joining the Army right after graduation this year, and plan to become an MP. I would love to become a handler... What do I have to do to become one?