U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where are K-9 units based?

Hi,
I am trying to educate myself about K-9 units and hoping someone to help. Are K-9 units in all the military forces? Are there K-9 units at bases in NC, such as Cherry Point, Camp Lejuene, or Fort Bragg?
Can donations be taken to the units on base to be transported to Iraq, to save on postage?
Any info regarding k-9 units in NC would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for a wonderful website!
Thanks

Re: Where are K-9 units based?

Elizabeth,

All the bases you have listed have Miliary Working Dogs working on them.

In most cases "State Side" these Dogs and Handlers are assigned/attached to Security, or Militay Police Units (MP).

Your best bet is to contact the base/bases, and talk with the MP unit NCOIC or Commander.

Do not be offended if they act secretive, remember there is a War going on.

Semper Fi
Perry C. Money

Thank you so much. This was very helpful information. The more information I read, the more inspired I get about the MWD. I will see what I can do.

Thanks again

Elizabeth,

The following might interest you.

Dennis Lewis as part of their annual "God and Country" program in Wayne County, NC. is planning a program at the "War Dog Memorial" in Pikesville, NC.

Although the program is still in the planning process it will included the laying of a wreath for each of the branches of the service by veteran dog handler, and the reading of the names of the 4,000 + dogs that served in Vietnam.

A bell will tole after each dog's name is read.

The program is scheduled for 31 May, 2008.

We will update the information as more details are available.

Semper Fi
Perry C. Money

Thanks for the valuable information. Oh that would be great to be a part of that. Please update when more inform is available.
Thanks again, Elizabeth

hey,
i'm looking for active war dog units it seems most are attached w/air wing units as far as the usmc goes
being a former usmc k-9 i seem to only be concerned w/ the usmc
i have found a few stories like the marine k9 that was adopted by a kia marines family a first finally the va is reconizing k-9s