U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
need some help

was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. someone who is a current or past handler. recruietrs are no help. im prior service, now army reserve goin back active, switching to mp, only reason is to get into handler school. anyone have a contact name or something, i need info on the best surefire way to get into MWD school. this is the only reason im goin MP. can anyone help

Re: need some help

I'm a current handler in the Army. If you going to active duty Army as an MP, get some road experience (i.e. law and order work, civilian does not count) and at least one deployment as an MP under your belt. After that, you've got a couple years experience as an MP, right? Now go to your Kennel Master at the kennels where you are stationed and tell him/her that you want to be a dog handler. They will work with you, interview you, and decide if then you are K-9 School material. You could also reenlist for it, but we both know what that means! K-9 is an elite group in the military. DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY! There is a proud and noble tradition here. Don't let those who came before you down. Talk to the guys at the kennels. Talk to other handlers. It's a lot more than just playing with a dog all day. You are that dog's primary trainer, handler, caretaker, pooper-scooper, medic (until you can get your partner to the vet), partner, and friend. You got to want it. Don't let us down. Wait a few years as an MP, get some L&O experience, a deployment, and in the meantime, talk to the other handlers at your homestation kennels and learn all you can before you go to school. Make yourself known. I hope this helps.
-SPC John Marek