U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
adopt Belgian Malinois

I am trying to adopt a Belgian versus purchasing from a breeder. I have the adoption application but I have written a few emails and made a few calls to phone numbers listed on the Lackland AFB website with no answer. Could you please provide me any contact information, names, email, phone numbers, etc. If anyone can help i would appreciate it. I would like not to purchase from a breeder. Thanks.

Chris

Re: adopt Belgian Malinois

Chris, I want to start a training program for the dogs of Lackland AFB that 'washout' from the 12-wk bootcamp using experienced, convicted veterans, who want to train these 4-legged veterans as service or companion dogs for veterans. These men and dogs will meet what federal guideline currently exist to qualify these dogs as assistance dog status.

We already have two qualified training programs in existance in our facility: one for Canine Companions and another for a no-kill shelter. I just need outside structure guidelines for a program such as I'm proposing to rescue and adopt MWP dogs. My Department (ODRC) has tentatively approved the process and supports it, but I need the structual support and a written proposal outlining the details to push it through the approval stage.

Unfortunately, I currently lack the ability to design a regimented dog training program, as my own lab is spoiled rotten and sits only when she wants to. So, if you can assist me or know any military dog handlers to advise me, I'm asking that you have them contact me at the below email address.

You may ask, how does this help you adopt a Belgium Malinois, and I can't say that it does. But for every dog we successfully retrain and adopt out from Lackland keeps it from being euthanized.

If my program starts, those approved for adoption will receive a dog that neither animal nor owner will ever want to live without.. So, any support you can offer, I'd like to hear.

Sandra Reiter (Denney)
sandra.reiter@odrc.state.org.us
740-774-7050 x2555 M/F 7:40-3:20 EST