Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amadie Twostep - "desperado"-version

Thanks for the article Tom. Very interesting. I've been listening to the sound samples, but my noise isn't among them. The tea kettle sounds comes nearest, but mine is a lot higher, and quite loud.
Fortunately, I'm not getting depressed from it, let alone suicidal, but I can imagine some people do. But sometimes it's going a bit better, so that's a relief. Not at this very moment, but then again I have to admit that I played a few notes on my 114 this morning without earplugs. I wanted to get a bit closer to Amédé! (very stupid to do that now).
I've had tinnitus for some 18 years, but, compared to now, very slight. A lot of people have it, especially musicians, and it didn't bother me too much.
But lately, I had some very noisy gigs, and it started to get worse afterwards, so it could be damage.
At the same time the chronic infection I have in my right upper jaw (since about 18 years!) got worse, so there might be a connection with that, as most of the noise seems to come from the right side. I will have it treated, and then see what happens.
I just want to warn all you Braves to be very careful with noise. It can happen to anyone, and in most cases there is no way back! And I can assure you, it's no fun! Be sure you have some earplugs in your pocket, especially in small, noisy, jampacked places. You can get them in your drugstore for a few bucks. Take care!

Peer, was your only exposure to loud sounds through music, playing in bands? Did you have some other occupation that put you in an atmosphere of loud noises?

No, just as a musician. Not even on stage with a loud PA, because I always play and sing unamplified. But people who are talking very loud, especially in a small space, can be terribly loud too. I never worked on a buildingside or anything.
The first time the tinnitus really became bad was after playing an hour or so on the banjo (clawhammer style, new hobby). Then it came and went; I had some noisy gigs, and then it stayed. Now i quit playing music altogether, even at home. A few tunes on a muted fiddle with the strings tuned down is all I can handle. Playing a CA triggers it again.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!