Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cleoma Falcon Created a got dam Maelstrom

That's ok Boudreaux, I was just trying to be funny with the "retain yall got dam comments" thing. Your **edit** actually helped me out with the answer to all this mess. And thanks Mr Guy for the encouragement too. Didn't mean for it to be taken literally. But certain comments from some folks challenging what I am trying to do could have steered this post in a whole new direction and possibly away from a solution. As I am finding out, "Allons a Lafayette" is a difficult matter in itself! It was the first recorded Cajun song. How many times has this song been worked over and changed or made better or worse, or made easy or more difficult than its original recording? And then, that "original recording" turns out to be "NOT SO ORIGINAL". It was a knock off of "Jeune Genes de la Campagne". Why the Falcons didn't do it in its original name and form we may never know the exact reason. Maybe the words "Allons a Lafayette" made it more relatable to the listening audience both Cajun and non Cajun. But ever since..this song has been twisted and turned every which way but loose. Even Harry Choates fiddle was tuned odd! Starting with the big string down to the smallest string the tuning he used was GDGD which was a cross tuning that allowed him to play the high and the low parts with one fiddle. He was the only fiddler in the band, but it sounds like there might be two. He veered away from the Cajun fiddle down tuning of FCGD which probably confused things even more.

Now, getting back to the accordion. Which key is Allons a Lafayette being played in? It is definitely being played in the key of "G"! How do I know for sure. Because I took my "D" accordion and played along with Jesse Lege's band which is using a "C" accordion. I played that "D" accordion in the 3rd position and I was able to follow along with a sound match for most all of the song. And when you play a "D" accordion in the 3rd position....wait for it......YOUR PLAYING IN THE KEY OF "g".!!!!!! But there is still more. It aint over yet. So, by now, WE SHOULD NOT feel guilty at all for not knowing what the heck is going on with "Allons a Lafayette" or not being sure. This song is twisted in an unusual way, with time and circumstance playing a part in helping to twist it. There is still a factor I haven't talked about yet. It is a recording of Marc Savoy playing "Jeune Genes de la Campagne" on a "D" accordion. I'll get into that on the next post, but for now, here is a video of Jesse Lege and Mack Manuel's version for you to play along with. But just to twist it up even more, (WHY DON'T YOU TRY PLAYING THE B-PART WHEN JESSE IS PLAYING THE A-PART AND PLAY THE A-PART WHEN JESSE IS PLAYING THE B-PART. You'll find it matches up either way!

"ALLONS A LAFAYETTE".

Re: Cleoma Falcon Created a got dam Maelstrom - by AJ - Apr 14, 2017 10:10pm

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!