Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Beginning accordian

I would add that learning the treble side first, then slowing way down and adding the bass is the way I did it. Too much going on the treble side to memorize before trying to add the bass in the manner I described.

Re: Beginning accordian

nunya
My two cents on working the bass side in with the treble side.

Learning the two hands separately will not get you there, not very soon. Your brain still has to learn to coordinate them together. Your hands are not naturally wired in your brain to do two different things at the same time. Our nervous system is wired symmetrically. You have to train yourself to break that.

What I found helped me is to slow the songs down SO SLOW, that your mind can begin to think of what each hand is supposed to be doing, and when. It will be really slow to get there, and won\'t be much fun.

As you start playing to that slow sound (I rely on hearing it in your head), with both hands, you can start to integrate it together into your head.

Again, it won\'t be fun. It will be work.

To what nunya says, I would add that when I come to a measure that is particularly difficult to coordinate between two hands, I'll practice that measure by itself over and over, maybe 50-100 times, until muscle memory really begins to set it.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!