Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups' accordion keys

i agree rick...wayne is THE man in Zydecajun...i'll add a couple more wayne knockoff's...dustin ray and kevin naquin.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups' accordion keys

I always thought that Kevin Naquin was trying to emulate Steve Riley. He's a decent player, but he doesn't have Steve's voice or range.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups' accordion keys

I agree with you on that, Joan. I remember Kevin coming to jam sessions when he was 14 or 15 years old and he had been taking lessons from Steve. He even had his "C" accordion made almost identical to Steve's.

St. Petersburg FL Cajun & Zydeco Festival

Johnny ~ Didn't know you would be attending the Festival! My husband and I were there Saturday and Sunday, although we didn't stay for Wayne Toups. Mike doesn't like driving back over the long bridge to Tampa late at night when the drunks are out.

Tee Joe from this forum was also at the Festival.

What did you think of Horace Trahan's new band and new songs? Last I had heard, he was taking a break from performing due to Christian commitments. Guess he's off on a new tangent. Horace is HIGHLY talented and ALWAYS CHANGING!

Re: St. Petersburg FL Cajun & Zydeco Festival

Hi Joanie. So sorry we didn't get to meet. Were you the guys in the Mardi Gras outfits? I met Horace and his band at the motel we were all staying at. I liked his first set. We missed his second set. I thought the Reggae influenced message songs were very creative. I don't know what the crowd thought but since it was all very danceable, I bet lots of people never even heard the words! The only criticism I have is that since it was a festival and not a bar, he shouldn't drink and smoke while onstage. Since it was a family oriented affair it might have impacted negatively on some people who were hearing the music for the first time. But then Horace is still real young and does his own thing. Like he says, it is all good. And it was!

Re: Re: St. Petersburg FL Cajun & Zydeco Festival

I think the couple in the Mardi Gras costumes was from St. Martinsville or another Louisiana town. Saturday I was wearing white pants and and orange top. Sunday I was wearing a greenish dress. Most of the time I was just hanging around ~ sometimes up near the stage ~ as my husband doesn't dance. Sorry to have missed you.

Re: St. Petersburg FL Cajun & Zydeco Festival

Joan,
Do you know if there is anyone in the area who teaches the cajun accordion?
I did not know there was a difference in the times when the drunks are out and what is the difference between the drunks at night and the everyday drivers?
from Lakeland

Cajun Accordion Teachers Near Tampa

Sorry Leon ~ I don't know of any Cajun accordion teachers in this area. In fact, the only Cajun accordion player who plays reasonably well who lives in this neck of the woods (IMO) is Greg Taillon of Orlando who performs with The Porchdogs.

I started a search for a teacher about 7 years ago or so. Met Gentry McCauley, Cory McCauley's brother (Cory is an EXCELLENT traditional player) in the process, but never found anyone to help me out. Greg Taillon has too many irons in the fire to do any teaching on a regular basis, but offered to sit down with me sometime and show me a few tricks. Never got to the point where I took him up on it.

If YOU ever find a teacher in Central Florida, be sure to post it here!

Re: Cajun Accordion Teachers Near Tampa

Will do and Thank You for the reply

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!