Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The best thing to come out of Southern Comfort

There's a Rolling Stone article on Ry Cooder from years ago in which Dewey Balfa said that after he lost his brothers Will and especially Rodney, he almost gave up music entirely. But when Ry Cooder, the musical director of the film, had him play in the movie, his spirit picked up and he continued to perform another dozen years. So, in a way, that film was important to the continuation of traditional Cajun music.

They don't often get Cajuns right in the movies. David Straithairn does a good accent in Passion Fish. And Adam Hebert is playing in the background of a Charles Bronson-James Coburn picture, Hard Times. I think there is a Nathan Abshire song in the Paul Newman movie The Drowning Pool.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Louisiana movie...

This should start you on the right foot: NFB, National Film Board of Canada. when you do a search on their site, type in "Acadian exile",as they have 2 long documentaries on the subject.
Then there is the CBC. witch is the Canadian Broadcasting tv in Canada and witch has done "many" documentaries on the subject.
Enjoy your search, at lest this is a good start I hope.

Claude.

Re: Louisiana movie...

IF you are looking for good cajun music in a movie, get BELIZAIRE THE CAJUN, good stuff

Re: Re: Louisiana movie...

I have never seen that movie, I need to.

J'été Au Bal has some good music also.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!