Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

Nice little town, I used to drive though it all the time on the way to my deer camp. It's about an hour to two hours away from anything remotely Cajun but if that and lots of pine trees don't bother you, it's a nice quiet little college town. Just don't expect much excitement.

If you want to see glimpses of the town watch the movie Steel Magnolias. It's a chick flick, but it was filmed in Natchitoches. In fact a guy a used to work with is from there and one of the characters in the movie, the ornary old lady, is based on his mom.

Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

Very historic small town right on I49 about an hour south of Shreveport, I drive through it every time I go back home. If I am not mistaken, I believe it is the oldest settlement in Louisiana. About 4 hours from Dallas. Very pretty place, probably quite a few existing Victorians available if you are into old.

Re: Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

Thanks Brian (and others).
We have contacted the realators in the area to work up
some properties (land/lots) for us to see... we will fly to the big D in Oct and drive over to ck. em out.
Wanna tie up the land parcel as the first phase.

Plan to build ... our youngest is a master carp. (and more) both commercial and res. so he is up to building his momma what ever she wants including the tudor guest house in back for him and his hound dogs (Boudin and Graton hee hee)which we have adopted since he is all over the country though based out of Dallas.

You're right about the existing Vic's as there seems to be a gob of B&B's in that town. ahhhh nice porches for squeezing, That's the thing about victorians for what I'm talk'n about.

Another life change (perhaps) in a world of evolving ideals, sometimes it means going home in some odd way with no fear...as long as it is closer to family, and, it is.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

...and if ya find yo'self with some lagniappe idle time in da Big D, let me know Nonc. I'll meet'cha for a shake and a squeeze! Yuh got a fan here! (Might as well catch me here before I move off to Lake Charles at some point down da road!)

Yer accordion in arms,

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

If you do, let me know, I'll come be the audience/beer fetcher.

Forgot to mention, Natchitoches is about 2 1/2 hours from my usual destination just au norde de Mamou.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

You're in the loop, mon ami de Texas!
What a riotous triumvirate we would be!

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Natchitoches Louisiana - any one know about it?

You know there's always the deep shady veranda all around, high ceilings, and 2-foot thick walls of bousillage to consider...

http://www.nps.gov/cari/tour_arch_bousillage.htm

I've heard of walls with ears..... Hair? Yep, could happen

Steve,

That's interesting about that bousillage insulation thing.

I recall going to the barbershop in my Pops home town when I was a boy (young smart eleky teen type that I was). This old barber was pushing about 95 on the life meter and was still clipping hair! Same barber all those years from when Pop was kid. Naturally, Pop got a hair cut from him, with me watching every move of that barbers hand (never saw anyone that old cut hair). That hand wabbled like he was in a siesmic San Francisco earth quake; some old timer palsy type'a thing that could put a dandy vibrato on and accordion (if he played that is).

When it came time to lather Pop up and trim around the ears with a straight razor... I sat there and wondered how in gods earth, I was gonna explain my dad having no ears.

Bottom line: That old barber (so he said), had swept up hair all those years and filled his walls with it as insulation. A lice could think he died and went to heaven if he ever got in that mess.

So Anyhow: Pop got nicked a good one by that Barber... When he was done, he asked if I wanted to jump up in the chair and get trimmed up... There was'nt time for that man to ask me twice! I found the coming and going door to that joint faster than you know who could get the news... Back at the car, Pop says 'what the heck got hold of you son' "Well, your old and tough Pop, and I am young and tender, I figured if that old shakey barber could cut through your hide, I would'nt stand a chance getting out'a there without some kind'a major damage!"
We laughed a good one and went bass fishing in Sager creek the rest of the day... No scars on me from that true episode.

Hair and mud... insulation.. hummmm I suppose.

Nonc D

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!