Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tuning questions

Some builders sharp the F very slightly and others leave it standard. In early days of Louisiana builders and tuners it was a common practice to raise (sharp) the F (4 pull) until it was perfectly in tune with the A (5 pull). I find that the practice is not as widespread possibly because there is a bigger variety of performance keys (F for example) and a bigger variety of instruments that the accordion has to 'agree' with--chromatically tuned steel guitars and pianos. The players of the other instruments starting complaining about the F note sounding out-of-tune and being hard to play with so many modern builders/tuners no longer tune the F slightly sharp. Check with the builder if you are unsure...they can tune it either way.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tuning questions

Thanks for the information.
When we started to play Cajun, one of the members of my former band always complaning about the bass-side of the accordion.
Now we play traditional cajun with only guitar, fiddle, tit fer and accordion.
Is it better to tune the F higher now to get a traditional sound?

Re: tuning questions

Thanks Jean...I appreciate it

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!