Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: "If I'm wrong, then you wrong"

Pogoyo:

Is that P O, po, Y O, G yo yo?

If so, I'd like to order some Hasitall.

Cory

Re: Re: Re: Re: "If I'm wrong, then you wrong"

You got the right Pogoyo chere! But I drank all the Hasitall.

Re: Crooked Accordion Breaks

I have friends who are avid collectors of old Missouri tunes. They often modify the measures of songs so they can be used for square dancing etc.

My own choice it to listen to a song and do it the way I think it sounds best. Usually it is the odd phrasing or strange tunings that attracted me to the song in the first place. I believe this is how it was been done historically. That is also why regional styles developed. Since local musicians shared music and techniques they tended to evolve a similar style.

Unless you are trying to learn or demonstrate a particular person or style there is no reason not to do it the way it sound best to you. Chances are that is how the musicians you are trying to copy did it.

RPr

Re: Re: Crooked Accordion Breaks

I guess I have to go with the gut feeling, sometimes you feel like playing exactly how it is on the vinyl and sometimes you feel like being Peter Frampton, all in all, it's a feel, you're making music, if everyone played The Back Door the same way I think the song would have becoming quite booring over the years. It's all about a flavor of life !!! imho !!

Re: Re: Re: Crooked Accordion Breaks

I think you are wrong there my man. I prefer the original version of the Back Door and never get tired or bored listening to it. But hell I never get bored listening to Cajun music.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!