Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
MLMH

To anyone else with Martin boxes.... is yours set up MLMH too?

I wonder if he had to set it up like this because I had its switched from Binci to Salpa.

It is really bizarre but the first set of mid reeds are definately longer than the lows.

Re: Re: What I know about Randy's cutting reeds for a Bb accordion

What is done about button number one?

Re: Re: Re: What I know about Randy's cutting reeds for a Bb accordion

You would put a regular set of Bb reeds on the number one row. Since this row is such a low and "bassy" tone, a difference in sound can barely be heard.

Re: Re: Re: Salpa sizes and other stuff

If anyone says they can tell you the brand of an accordion by just listening to it and not seeing it. They are dealing in falshoods.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Salpa sizes and other stuff

I do know that hand made accordions are never 100% alike. I do know that certain builders have certain ways of tuning the reeds. I'm not talking about wet/dry.

People may say that Salpas sound brighter than Bincis. I think it all depends on how the maker tunes the reeds. I've got 2 accordions with Bincis of the same brand.

They sound way brighter than a different brand that has Salpas. In fact one of the reasons I wanted to have the Bincis out of this accordion is because I didn't recognize the sound I'm used to.

The brands of accordions I mentioned, I have played extensively enough to know what they sound like. I couldn't name them by means of a recording, but I know the style of tuning.

From listening to thousands of hours of playing my different brand Cajun accordions, this is not true at all.

Descriptive words on sound

I don't even know if brighter is the right word... Maybe crystal clear, maybe even thinner in someone elses opinion.

Maybe thinner is the word. I don't know enough about tuning reeds to presume, but my favorite builder has written about tuning reeds, but never ever specified how he does it "by ear" to me.

Perhaps the reeds in my favoritve accordions have been scraped "thin" enough to sound brighter?

I don't know how it's done, but I know I've heard Bincis sound different in different brands. In fact, VERY different.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!