Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Swamp Pop accordion

Thanks I'll definitely check out Rick Reid
I got a couple of records by Mel 'Luv Bug" Pellerin and I believe a few of his tunes fit into the swamp pop tradition.
The arrangements for accordion sound good too , although the piano -horm sound more defines the style wouldn't one have to admit?

Re: Re: Re: Swamp Pop accordion

Well, if ya check out Rick Reid, you won't hear much swamp pop! Rick Reid spends most of his time listening to a lot of Travis Matte, drinking Budweisers and tellin' lies to pretty girls.

But I do agree with you about Mel Pellerin. His tune about Holly Beach is one of my favorites of his (My Little Cabbage runs a tight second). I'm not an expert on swamp pop, but I'd say Cookie & The Cupcakes were probably the pioneers of the genre. And to reiterate, Johnnie Allan is a guy I can listen to anyday -- anytime. I just like his style, his voice, his jewelry and he's got an awesome barber.

I think the swamp pop signature is the horn section, for sure. The tenor and alto saxes with a trumpet accompanied with a piano. To me, that's what I hear when I think of swamp pop -- kind of a blue-eyed soul with a li'l country twang.

A lot of old-school zydeco artists mixed in a respectable amount of swamp pop into their repertoire, albeit with a piano accordion on top a bed of horns.

So really, it kinda depends on the style of swamp pop that makes you grin -- there's a Cajun/country style and a Creole/R&B style. I'll tell you this -- it's all good...

That does it... I'm movin' to Louisiana.

R!CK

Re: Swamp Pop accordion

Steve Riley and the L'il Band of Gold use accordion in their swamp pop arrangements. You can hear samples at the Amazon link.

Re: Swamp Pop accordion

....another swamp pop compiltaion, you can listen to sample at the link:

VOL. V - Krazy Kats / Louisiana Swamp-Rock & Pop
TRIKONT US-0167
1. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: The Promised Land [02:03]
2. BEAUSOLEIL: Zydeco Gris-Gris [02:58]
3. RICHARD,BELTON: Un Autre Soir D'Ennui [02:40]
4. BERNARD,ROD & CLIFTON CHENIER: My Babe [03:12]
5. DAIGLE/ELKINS & CAJUN GOLD: Loup Garou Two Step [02:56]
6. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: It's Just A Sad Song [02:17]
7. MATTE,DORIS: Hey Teet Fille [03:10]
8. RICHARD,BELTON: Bosco Stomp [02:15]
9. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: South To Louisiana [02:19]
10. BERNARD,ROD & CLIFTON CHENIER: Shake, Rattle & Roll [03:20]
11. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: I Knew The Bride [02:51]
12. JAGNEAUX,RUFUS: Opalousas Sostan [02:33]
13. RICHARD,BELTON: San Antonio Rose [01:43]
14. MARCANTEL,NANCY TABB: Jambalaya [02:28]
15. COOKIE & THE CUPCAKES: Mathilda [03:10]
16. ALLAN,JOHNNIE: Ju-Ju Man [01:38]
17. RICHARD,BELTON: Just A Dream [02:47]
18. RICHARD,BELTON: Who-Diggie [02:06]

cheers, henning

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!