Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Accordion Prices

Interesting observation...

This country was founded by folks with guts and visiomn

It was not a country for parasites

Work or die.. harsh and simple but true

We are a nation of cushy consuming whiners...

We value the corporation more than individuality

Yuppies yes yuppies and my generation was the first to be called such and they richly deserved it

their creed.. image before substance...

before that there was a watered down version that started in the economic boom after WWII.. keeping uop with the Joneses.. but the yuppies outdid that

The problem is that philosophy will only work for a while

Here we have a country that dotes on the likes of MArtha Stewart.. and MArtha Ray and movie stars and MAdonna and the corporate CEO's and Nashville formula performers...

what happened to the admiration for American skill craft and inginuity (sp) admiration for integrity and honesty without the slavish adoration for the monied and the famous... e admire the greedy and the "clever" the biggest cons ....
not the folks who really accomplish something worthwhile

There was a period call the Mission Period or Arts And Crafts that started in the late 1880's in England and lasted till the 30's in America.. It was a revolt against mass production and slickness
and technology..

there is a possibility this will happen again...maybe not in my lifetime

Take my home town of Pacific Grove Calif Sold our family house there after 45 years back in MArch
That was a town that was on the beach,, but humble beautiful as it was the yuppie trash had not yet emerged form their pods so that anyone could live there.. black, white, Chinese, Portuguese rich poor or in between now...
Yopu look down the street and the cheapest rig is a 3 year old Humnmer..... and the cheapest house is 750 square feet and over $500k.... why
disproportionate value

so it is absolutely whitebread top to bottom...yuppie haven..... no value and no class but money
Image before substance.. and these new folks have the audacity to call PAcific Grove "the last home town"
they are clueless.. they weren;t there when it was a real hometown... carpetbaggers all...
Tore down the 135 year old church that was an icon in the west.. tore down the 1880's public swimming pool at the ocean to build a restaurant,, ad nauseum
image building

Ahh where were we ahh yes

It is greed folks ... and myth making
but no time to go into that...

back to accordeons

Accordeons are a commodity

what one person can make another can make and sometimes even better

I don't begrudge anyone 20 accordeons... I used to have 12 now I am down to 3 and may get a 4th

It is now time for the VW or Model A of accordeons and there is a good chance it will come from the Peoples Republic and not the mother country or Murrica

The Orient Express

So true Craig........

That the Eastman corp was started by buying the book and the vidoes by Benedetto Going to China to a violin making shop who had been there for at least 4 generations taking some of the finest wood in the world.. Spruce and maple from Tibet, and absolutely kicking butt
( and some of this wood and some of these instruments have benn reputed to have come through Eastern Europe and passed of as made their)

Gibson is a very large corp it makes lots of instruments .. they have dogs and failures like anyone else

Eastman makes quite a few instruments most by hand... and like Gibson has some failures and some dogs

But having played and owned lots of Gibsons from 1915 Mandos to first year snake head to a pre war archtop to a 46 J45 and a Heritage and a 25 ball bearing banjo and so on.. the later the worse they got. Gibson is a classic example of a company living on its reputation.. and no Gibson Family member has worked for the Gibson Corp since 1908

It is my opinon Gibsons are grossly overpriced and they are known for being consistently inconsistent
Living on their own legend

I firmly believe that Eastman tries harder.

I won't currently own an Eastman as I have differences of opinon with their American management and management philosophy and some of the technical details of the instruments But would I lay out $8K or more for an L-5 when I could have the best of the Eastmans for around $2500 ?

So what if Eastman or another company with talented builders decided to go for it, accordeon Central
With that absolutely killer maple and spruce and high quality bits and pieces..and skilled instrument making crafstmen and women ...watch out

Read the other discussion group posts about Gibson, their quality or lack of same their abysmal (sp) "customer service' their grandstanding publically on banjo and manadolin forums when they help somebody who was blown out by several dealers and by their own warranty dept..... instead of just shutting up and fixing one of their famous failures without the fanfare .. as in one of their managers who often posts there.. call me direct and I'll get it handled for you.. I have clout.. see me help opyu I am good guy... .. anyone with one of their failures should be able to walk into a dealership or send the instrument to Gibson and have it fixed without the hassle..

It is Gibson ( and other American instrument manufacturers) that are smug and arrogant , greedy and blind...and that is what will be their undoing
( unless of course they continue to buy their competition and close them)

I am not advocating Chinese products.. I'd rather see instruments made in America and fairly priced

And I have an idea......

Re: The Orient Express

When the string instrument companies first started producing in China the results were pretty gastly for a while. They still are for many of the mass production musical instrument companies over there. (Stateside "set up" still means a lot, especially with the fiddles.)
I imagine the name on a company's lable got changed as employees knowledge of the craft improved.

In the end I don't think Eastmen and the other China based companies are going to continue producing inexpensive products in China. At some point their employees are going to demand a healthy work place and a pay check that can afford them their own house, car, health insurance and education for their children through college.
Yeah, the American dream.

And when that happens I imagine Eastman and the rest will pull up stakes and move production to another less expensive developing nation's sweat shops.

Re: Re: The Orient Express

If the Eastman employees wanted their salary doubled this would increase the price by about $200 US by the time every one decided to take their mark up

And India is the next great manufacturing frontier.. in many areas cheaper than China

Spanish guitar makers are now setting up on the south west coast of India...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!