Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Personal Tastes and Endless Debates

"Joel Savoy " ??

The only thing "over the top" was the thread started by "Wilson Savoy"

Re: Re: Personal Taste, blabbery and Southern ways

Rick... I am surprised you have a goat to get. When the bbq brisket runs out, shinnerbock and roast goat can't be all that bad within a metro plex area.
While some may contend that the art of fine blabbery is not fully appreciated by lower primates, I can only hope that the unfortunates can come to grip on such communicative abilities, and grow.

As for Wilson (here is a prospect): Regardless of what folks may think, he is destined to be a great musician (if not already)and inheiritor of a specific legasy. His youth is no differant than many.. nor is his sensitivity towards matters of his musical calling. This brings into focus some of the real mannerisms of Southern upbringing. Defending to the death and standing by others, is simply characteristic of old ways, stemming from southern roots. This is not just simple blabbery, and folks need to realize the variations of who, what, when, where and why a person would lean towards such stuff.

Rick (not to single out just Rick, as it applies to many) asks; Are things changing? Is this board a critique for musicians ? Ans. Yes to both. Old folks of Southern staunch mannerisms will tell you things have changed. Communications mass media 101 will further tell ya that an audience can be swayed in a direction by the heirarchy of influence on most any subject (even music or musicians). I believe Rick and many others know that facet very well and mean well to the spark of getting others to comprehend what it is all about.

So for the sake of personal taste and debate; Those of us coming into this music (or those that are emmersed or wish to be), you can not fully emmerse yourselves without a comprehension of Southern cultural mannerisms (good or bad). Understanding the paradigm shift from cultural norms of old, to that of the new. To avoid that understanding, simply builds walls where we (outsiders) are sincerely (mostly) seeking to scale them in order to advance our understanding. Some southern folks do have problems with bits and pieces (as it may be)when it comes to the cultural norms of a set of southern ways. I am convinced that young Wilson is a product of old upbringing (re: Southern mannerisms) and teatering on living in a modern world of many variations of people and belief systems. He is also caught up in a contemporary world that houses many forms of media conversation that spans a globe. When the debate hits the forefront of bravenet (one form of media), we need simply remember that certain mannerisms do exist as a product of who he is and what he has been taught. I understand such matters (as do others), where many may not (and perhaps need too). Things have changed, while there are still many that practice, live and die the old ways of Southern folks.

In my traditional blabbery fashion, I will leave ya this to ponder:

I once witnessed a grandmother put a couple bumps on her grandsons head with a cane. This young boy failed to say "Yes Mam" to my wife. I felt pretty bad for the boy, yet at the same time knowing, such was the ways and mannerisms in Southern Mississippi.
Today such stuff still exists, and I suppose depending upon where you are, could result in a dandy pair of chrome bracelets and a cot within a jail cell for child abuse. Freedom of speach (it is a fine gesture) till you land yourself in the middle of stauch Southern Americana ways that may still house a set of rules for living and carrying on. Once understood, no finer more gracious folks will you find on the planet. It is in the knowing that matters. Eat more goat.

Live and love, it's cool.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Personal Taste, blabbery and Southern ways

Enjoyed your commentary -- as always, Nonc D!

By the way, the whacks from the cane have healed!

Goat ain't bad,

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!