Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Note Bending Accordions....
This came up a while back, and I think there were a lot of questions. Tom Tonin is the inventor of this feature on the accordion. I had the accordion in my possession in '98 for about a month with hopes of recording with it, but was never satisfied with the outcome....
Views: 602   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jun 20, 2008 7:55am
by Bryan Lafleur
FS: Old Acadian, and also a fiddle
I've have two nice instruments up for grabs. The first is an Acadian that dates to the mid 80's, it's in the key of C, and has Salpa #1 reeds, some of the best reeds every built. It's in the key of C, dry tuned, and has one of the brightest sounds I've ever encounter...
Views: 548   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 19, 2008 2:39pm
by Glenn
j
JB
Jam at Fiddlers Green in Austin this Saturday
John Fine, Are we on and locked in? JB
Views: 348   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 19, 2008 10:00am
by Capt. Everett
Cajun & Zydeco learning video on ebay
I've never seen or heard of this one... Check on link #2... Anyone knows about the author?
Views: 480   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 19, 2008 3:26am
by Glenn
w
WF
RVdC: Robert Jardell
Rendez-vous des Cajuns: Robert Jardell Enjoy! WF
Views: 501   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 10:57pm
by WF
w
WF
RVdC: Mary Broussard
Mary Broussard Enjoy! WF
Views: 418   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 10:23pm
by WF
m
Mike W
Back to the Basics 2, Marc Savoy
The "Back to the Basics 2" cd by Marc Savoy has no song names listed. There are 12 songs, with the 13th track being a story spoken in French. The cover has the story printed in French and English, but lists none of the song names. Can anyone provide the song names...
Views: 746   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 12:49pm
by tycobbwannabe
looking for a monarch sterling
if any any one has one for sale let me know and also lookink for a good louisiana made accordion with a decent price
Views: 584   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 9:55am
by Capt. Everett
Housing in Eunice
As some of you already know, I'm moving my family back to Louisiana--to Eunice, specifically. We've been looking around at our housing options, and we'd prefer not to buy until our house up north sells. That leaves renting. Does anyone on this board have any i...
Views: 498   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 7:54am
by Jude the Obscure
blah blah
blah blah blah
Views: 474   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 2:36am
by nout
g
Glenn
Views: 506   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 17, 2008 6:20pm
by nout
looks like the weird c-sharp martin finally sold for $1350
--though the first 2 bids look kind of fake --wle. ===== Marc Savoy Handmade Cajun Accadian Accordion Item number: 260248034916 Bidding has ended for this item Winning bid: US $1,350.00 Ended: Jun-07-08 14:46:38 PD...
Views: 447   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 17, 2008 10:51am
by Big Nick
MARC SAVOY APPRECIATION PAGE
any one check out the MARC SAVOY APPRECIATION PAGE YET? just google it on MY SPACE and it pops up.
Views: 631   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 7:47pm
by tycobbwannabe
recording equipment
hi can some tell me what to get im looking for somthing simple to put in my room to record my jam sessions on i dont want any thing high teck just a mic and stand and somekind of recorder can some one tell me what to buy
Views: 412   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 5:26pm
by nout
Cajun/Zydeco in Birmingham, AL
I wanted to invite everyone in the Birmingham area to come out to the City Stages festival. I will be there with Bayou Roots this Saturday, June 16. We play in midafternoon on the Dance Depot stage and early evening on the Oasis Stage. I hope to meet anyone in the ar...
Views: 555   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 1:58pm
by larry english cu...
fiddle question
i just bought a antonious stradavarious fiddle its about 100yrs old i paid 100 dollars for and im going to have it fixed up it just needs strings tuners and riser so the question is are they good fiddles and did i pay to much for it
Views: 420   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 10:58am
by John Roger
BRAND NEW AUTHENTIC CAJUN FIDDLES
check out WWW.CAJUNFIDDLES.COM in SUNSET, LOUISIANA
Views: 574   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 10:21am
by John
Lyric Clarification, please - Keep Your Hands Off of It
Hi Braves, Say, could someone help out with a question about the lyrics to "Keep Your Hands off of It"? (The Lawrence Walker tune ..) Balfa Toujours covers the tune on Whisky River. It sounds as if Dirk is singing: I'm an old pot liner I lay my pipe al...
Views: 501   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 16, 2008 9:34am
by JoanieBlon
are lee begnaud accordions any good
can some one tell if begnsud accordion are worth buying
Views: 879   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 10:33pm
by griff
bosco stomp please help
im looking for the lyrics for the bosco stomp in french and english
Views: 2968   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 6:34pm
by Kenny
I'm in Sacramento, have pic of the accordions for sale...
To those interested, I can send pics of my two accordions for sale. Vintage black Acadian by M. Savoy. Black, clean and very, very cool. $1600/offer. 99 Martin C, black, very beat, great vibe, big tone. 900 bucks, a great deal on a soulful box.
Views: 570   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 8:48am
by micheal berzas
k
Kees
Cajun & Zydeco Festival Raamsdonksveer (NL)
We had a great Cajun & Zydeco Festival this weekend in Raamsdonksveer. Excellent weather. Great jam sessions with friends Ron, Will and Ed of the Downtown Cajun Band. For me, the most memorable performance was Zydecane. Chis Miller was replacing their regular accordi...
Views: 468   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 15, 2008 8:32am
by Sarah Savoy
Need practice session advice
Okay, I've been playing about 4 months now. I average about an hour/day: 1/3 time doing scales of varying sorts (octaves, octaves + index bounce, octaves + "squeeze" a la Dirk Powell, octaves + triplets, octaves + ring finger bounce, octaves + RFB + triplets); and 2...
Views: 589   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 14, 2008 3:59am
by Jim Pettijohn
d
Dale
Field Recorders Collective CD - Balfa Bros. & N. Abshire NYC 1970
Just received notice of a newly released CD of this 1970 NYC Concert as part of the FRC's 2008 offerings. There's a link to the track list, which includes some "talk" tracks, and to a sound clip (Pine Grove Blues) at Link #1 above. Dale
Views: 419   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 13, 2008 5:51pm
by bryan lafleur
g
Glenn
Views: 539   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 13, 2008 1:23pm
by Rick Reid
p
Peer
notation
Hello Everybody, You Braves have some system to remember all those tunes, licks etc. ? Do you use tablature of some kind or just plain musical notation? or the real traditional way ?(no notation at all) ... I was just wondering!
Views: 627   Replies: 29
Last Post: Jun 13, 2008 3:17am
by Peer
Nouvelle-Ecosse et Festival Acadien de Clare
Hi Maz. Could you email me please. I have a few questions. Thanks!
Views: 516   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 12, 2008 7:50pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
chris miller please write back
hi my name is micheal berzas im from rayne la i was wondering about the show u did at the liberty a while back u played a bunch of iry lejeune songs with one of the vanicors was that show called A tribute to iry lejeune and how can i get a copy of it
Views: 420   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 12, 2008 6:59pm
by chris miller
Lil Nathan & The Zydeco Big Timers SHOW
Lil Nathan & The Zydeco Big Timers SHOW JUNE 20TH 9PM $8 COVER $2 HIGH LIFE RENAISSANCE 425 JEFFERSON ST. LAFAYETTE LA
Views: 317   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 12, 2008 3:43pm
by Glenn
Any accordion players in the Galveston area?
hey everyone: My dad started playing the accordion recently and was looking for players or places in the Galveston area that he could meet. Roy Anthony mrgreenjeansrock@aol.com Thanks! Kevin Anthony
Views: 464   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 12, 2008 10:01am
by Nick Beaudoing
Lost Bayou Ramblers
See link#2 for a swinging video from the LBR. Very groovy.
Views: 444   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2008 2:24pm
by Meloderon
g
Gdugas
Accordion wax question
I was thinking about leaving my old accordion on my houseboat (which is not climate controlled when I am not using it)...At what temperature would I have to worry about melting the wax and how did the old timers get away with this before the days of A/C??
Views: 464   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 10, 2008 6:41pm
by Brett Thibodeaux
n
Nonc D
Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all
Got the hound dog blues, time to break out the harps (the only one handed instruments I have Ha). The oldest hound (Gomer - what J. Lege' named Boudin), yesterday lost using his hind legs. Siezure I suspect. Going to the vet in about an hour the best way I can (...
Views: 544   Replies: 20
Last Post: Jun 10, 2008 5:42pm
by nout
Got Lost Tonight!!
The Lost Bayou Ramblers at the Lake Charles "Downtown at Sundown" concert. And Finally...My Worst Nightmare!
Views: 516   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 9, 2008 4:23pm
by Jim
pearl-like buttons
Does anyone know the manufacture of the plastic pearl like buttons used on the accordion finger board?
Views: 454   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 9, 2008 12:16pm
by kguillo
accordion
hi im looking for any one that got a cajun accordion for sale please cantact me
Views: 441   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 8, 2008 10:50am
by Maz- Acadien du ...
Couldn't Find Gene's Accordion Photo, But...
Here are some fun ones. Somebody a while back was asking for photos of Sidney Brown accordions. I have photographed approximately twenty to twenty-five of the supposed seventy-two that he built. The first one here is the accordion that Lionel Cormier fell on and crus...
Views: 475   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 8, 2008 10:34am
by Maz- Acadien du ...
g
Gus
new traditional cajun cd
For the ones who like trad cajun and a booming guitar (...), the new Cajun Company cd is one to be recommended. On the website you can hear some samples (also a Polka tune that is from European origin definately), but some very good tunes (like tunes fiddle only)...
Views: 495   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 7, 2008 12:46am
by micheal berzas
Nice performance of OST special!
Hi Braves, Say, this is a right respectable live performance of O.S.T. Special at Mulates. Anyone know who the players are? (Maybe it is stated somewhere & I've missed it?) Merci! --Big
Views: 543   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 8:44pm
by CB
lyrics?
Anyone knows lyrics Lawrence Walker, Another nail in my coffin?
Views: 467   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 2:11pm
by CajunSerb
Lanse Grise accordions #1
Well, I was going to wait to post this, but decided to go ahead anyway. After months of sometimes frustrating, but, in the end, very rewarding work, I've finally got a working accordion. It is made with Binci C reeds and is out of some as of yet unidentified wood o...
Views: 612   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 11:02am
by bryan lafleur
n
nout
digging in Texas lyrics question
Hi, does any one got more (french) lyrics for two common "show stopper" songs; Diggi Liggy and Grand Texas? Got these so far: Diggy Diggy Lo from a Tracy Schwarz CD: C’est ma soueur, Diggy Liggy Lo, Qu’a marie Diggi Liggy La Et ça reste...
Views: 364   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 4:01am
by nout
Pine Grove Blues / Mon Negresse - Vocals Timing?
Hi Braves, I would suspect that most have heard and have played "Pine Grove Blues" AKA "Mon Negresse" by Nathan Abshire. I haven't had much luck, leading this tune at jams. Maybe it's my arrangement? It seems to me that the timing in the verses is more...
Views: 596   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 6, 2008 12:27am
by David Sousa
Austin Cajun Jam is locked in.
First jam in Austin will start at 1pm June 7 at Fiddlers Green Music Shop (see link #2). We'll play for at least 2 hours. Right now we are thinking first and third Sat of every month. Time is changeable. Sorry to the couple of people who showed up last Sat. Hop...
Views: 326   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 5, 2008 5:15pm
by Capt. Everett
review of 8 recorders
Here is a link to the Electronic Musician review of 8 recorders: http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_studio_pocket/ -David
Views: 489   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 5, 2008 5:04pm
by Gus
What fiddle to buy?
I know this is an accordion discussion group, but I figured some of you could help. I am looking to learn how to play the fiddle (Cajun Style). I have never even touched a fiddle and have very little knowledge of the subject whatsoever. I have looked several p...
Views: 528   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jun 5, 2008 5:02pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
Raams
Hey guys Just wanted to say I'm totally excited about heading off to Raamsdonksveer tomorrow night and looking forward to seeing those of you I know and meeting those of you I don't. We're playing twice on Saturday and once on Sunday before driving back to Paris,...
Views: 565   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 5, 2008 4:54pm
by Gus
n
nout
small SD card audio recorders
Hi Y'all - since i'm trying to find out what the "best" modern type of microphone included SD card hand held recorder is, maybe some of you have practical experiences with a Tascam DR1 or an Olympus LS10. A lot of you have probably seen or worked with an Edirol R9 or...
Views: 459   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 4, 2008 8:09pm
by DP Mandell
Fiddling in B-flat .. how they do that?
Hi again Braves! Man .. I'm full of questions this week! Can anyone tell me what the traditional method is for a fiddler to handle a tune that's played in Bfl? Does one use a standard tuned fiddle? Or is there another tuning trick to allow the fiddler to...
Views: 473   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 4, 2008 3:47pm
by Capt. Everett
Festival in Raamsdonksveer
Hello everyone. Just wanted to get a little more information about this festival. I will be playing there next week with the group "ZydeCane." I am looking forward to meeting as many braves there as I can. It will be my first visit to Holland so I really could use...
Views: 590   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 4, 2008 1:31pm
by BJ
Leon Chavis & The Zydeco Flames - "Holla @ Me"
For those zydeco fans in da house, Leon's brand new CD, "Holla @ Me" is the best CD I've heard since Chris Ardoin's, "Sweat" release a few years back. You can take my word for it, this one stands out. His songwriting, singing, and playing is very enjoyable on Holla @...
Views: 432   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 4, 2008 1:22pm
by Brett Thibodeaux
p
Peter
CD release party Cajun Company
Cajun Company just released their 3rd CD, called La Prairie Ronde, in Amsterdam. A capacity crowd (225) welcomed this CD with a lot of enthusiasm. Follow this link, more to follow in due time.
Views: 394   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2008 5:06pm
by Peter
M. Cecil Fontenot , Accordeons Marque de Fabrique:
Bonjour, Le 17 mai, 2008, ma femme et moi ont rendu une visite avec monsieur Cecil Fontenot a Ville Platte, Louisiane, pour achete son accordeon qu'il a fait a la main, (marque - numero trente-trois), en erable naturel, avec six couches de lacque sans teintur...
Views: 510   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jun 3, 2008 4:38pm
by nout
Savoy C Box Re-Listed
Have you Braves been following this auction? It was listed at $1,500 and now re-listed at $1,375. Too bad that money is tight right now. For $1,375, I could drive to work a couple times :-) --Biggeroo
Views: 599   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 3, 2008 2:05pm
by Gus
g
Glenn
Huapango on a 7 button single row
Off topic as usual.. interesting to see a well-known Tex Mex accordionist wally gonzales playing a hupango ( in 6/8 time ) on a single row 7 button box.
Views: 622   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 3, 2008 1:11pm
by RPr
New to the boards and getting back into my accordion
First off I would like to say hello to all. I was surfing the net the other day and came across this cool forum. Was born and raised in Lafayette La, and now brining up my very own family right outside of Carencro. I had started playing around with a 10 button C a...
Views: 566   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 5:42pm
by Ginny Tormey
another lyrics request: gone to the country by Racines
Can anyone help me ? I`m looking for the lyrics to this song. I don`t know the French title Thanks Wilfred
Views: 454   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 5:13pm
by Wilfred
Video of new F accordion
Made an early morning video of Lovebridge Waltz on the F Bon Temps that Jude Moreau just built me. Such a sweet accordion! This is on myspace video. I would have slapped this on youtube, but they haven't gotten the audio/video sync issues straightened out. It's...
Views: 522   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 3:01pm
by JimPettijohn
New CD! Twin City Two Step: Cajun/Zydeco Music from Minneapolis/St. Volume 1
hey everyone! just wanted to let you know that I just produced a new CD called Twin City Two Step: Cajun/Zydeco Music from Minneapolis/St.Paul Volume 1. This CD is out on my new label called 409 Recordings. Features 9 bands from the Twin Cities and 18 songs! T...
Views: 431   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 1:32pm
by Big Nick
Crowley Two Step - Thanks to Rusty
It's videos/lessons like Rusty's that keep people like myself continuing to progress with songs like this. I thank Rusty for posting these lessons.... Not as good as his but I tried.... LINK 1.. Brett Thibodeaux
Views: 592   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 2, 2008 12:09am
by Rick Reid
j
Jim
Someone on Ebay has their head stuck up their arse
You gotta laugh http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380013045730
Views: 638   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 1, 2008 9:33pm
by larry english
g
Gary
Acadian Bb for sale on ebay
Nice Bb in blue. Link #1
Views: 616   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 1, 2008 7:59pm
by Kirk M
n
nout
name of a tune
Hi Y'all Nobody seems to know the name of this tune, and if it's a traditional or not .... maybe one of you? Link #3: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7u5EdNnFY - Nout
Views: 373   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 1, 2008 6:50pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
anyone know the lyrics to ton meilleur malheur
hi friends i'm listening to a neato version of ton meilleur malheur by t-sale, i'm sure i've heard someone else do this song.......maybe hackberry ramblers? does anyone know the lyrics to this song? thanks, much. roger w
Views: 419   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 31, 2008 4:12pm
by Marc
How do I get a bass spring quickly for a cajun box?
I broke a bass spring on my Bb Swallow box. How could I get a replacement quickly?
Views: 438   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 30, 2008 10:32pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
Charlie Ortego
I have an old Master bought from Ken Smith some years ago. I was sad to hear that Mr. Ortego had died. I spoke to him on the telephone once and found him very kind and helpful but never saw him. Does anyone out there have a photograph of him that I could access to pu...
Views: 388   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2008 12:04pm
by Mick Mills
Louisiana Folk Roots announces first Cajun & Creole Kids Camp
Louisiana Folk Roots, the same organization that presents the Dewey Balfa Cajun and Creole Heritage Week, is pleased to announce its first Cajun and Creole Camp for Kids. The day camp will run in two separate sessions, June 16-20 and June 23-27, at the Acadiana Cente...
Views: 439   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 30, 2008 10:29am
by Henry Hample
d
Dale
Allons A Lafayette (aka Lafayette Two Step)
I'm working on Allons A Lafayette. It's low for my voice singing along with my C accordion, and it's not much better on my D accordion. The key of G is where I'd like to sing it, as Courtney Granger does on Ray Abshire's "Arrete Pas La Musique" CD. Does anyone kno...
Views: 445   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 29, 2008 12:33pm
by Dale
Seconding?
Maybe "seconding" is the wrong term, but I'd like some advice on how to chord a 3 chord song (push songs and pull songs) in the background, like when I'm singing or someone else is taking a lead. Assume a C accordion, not that it makes a difference in positioning....
Views: 606   Replies: 15
Last Post: May 29, 2008 11:22am
by Jamey Hall
Lyric clarification - Musicians Paradise
Braves, I'm not sure that I've transcribed this verse correctly .. What is this word "Ayou"? Merci!! --Big Quand je vas mourir, je veux aller Au paradis des musiciens Ayou ça se met tous ensemble Et ça chant de belle chansons. Ayou...
Views: 496   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 28, 2008 5:58pm
by bryan lafleur
Regular Cajun Jam here in Austin
Looks like we've finally got a time and place. Saturday starting at 10am at Fiddlers Green Music Shop on W. 35th st. If it works for Marc Savoy, it can work for us here in Austin, TX First organizational session May 31st. Marlon McAllister has got dancers and coo...
Views: 427   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 28, 2008 6:48am
by Jude Moreau
a
Andy W
Views: 393   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 27, 2008 2:00pm
by BJ
n
nout
Reed plate attachment; for the builders & fixers
Hi y'all - I found with a maple Bon Cajun C i bought from one of the posters here that the sound was a little nasal sort of. - by ways of experimenting i took all the reed plate treble side screws out, after first A-B comparing the middle bank s's behavior. Had someo...
Views: 371   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 27, 2008 1:53pm
by DP Mandell
g
Glenn
Baffetti GL II FBbEb playing Vallenato style
Certainly off topic style-wise for this forum, but most all of us have seen this box in the hands of Chris Ardoin or Andre Thierry or others... this Here is a little sample of what it sounds like on the musette switch playing Colombian Vallenato music. I will...
Views: 467   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 26, 2008 8:34am
by Glenn
n
nout
AP tuner for windows
Hi y'all further down there's a lengthy discussion on tuning, and the mention of buying an expensive peterson strobe tuner as the way to go. I don't think this is really necessary; i bought a peterson VSAM last year but rather use an old Roland TU chromatic tuner mo...
Views: 346   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 26, 2008 4:54am
by nout
j
JB
Learn Somethin' New Everyday
Speaking of You Tube®: My wife always says my powers of observation have dimmed somewhat, but I did notice something interesting when I got a little side-tracked on Y-T a few minutes ago. There was Maz & Big Nick and Cajunfid playing The Midland Two Step...
Views: 409   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2008 11:21pm
by JB
d
Darryl
zydecoonline.com - Double clutch and 3 Row
Just been listening to www.zydecoonline.com I think?? I've found two songs from the rolling song list that are good examples of : "double clutchin"...( refer posts recently ).. ..select song S203 Keith Frank " Dreams Come Alive " and S207 Chubby Carri...
Views: 430   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 24, 2008 7:51pm
by Darryl
Science of wet tuning (especially for those who understand accordion tuning)
I discovered something while tuning the Hohner to 10 cents off... It seemed (to my ears that) the dissonance between the wet mid bank and the rest of the reed banks (L,H,M) was not even among the notes while sounding all together. Particularly the lowest and some...
Views: 556   Replies: 21
Last Post: May 24, 2008 4:47pm
by larry english
t
Toby
Another pic for the list
This is my "Crown" key of D. Walnut wood, Salpa reeds. Some of you probably recognize it from a few weeks back, it was for sale (still is! lol!) I played one of those Gro Bec accordions at Mitch Reed's place a couple of years ago- not bad at all. Everyone has posted...
Views: 2019   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 24, 2008 11:39am
by Toby
I love that pic!
Very nice. Gus: Can I share this pic?
Views: 471   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 24, 2008 10:18am
by Maz - Acadien du...
Youtube tune name?
What is the name of the tune being played by Briggs in the above video? Thanks, Greg
Views: 456   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 23, 2008 11:15pm
by Greg in KC
n
nout
Bryan's new born baby: congratulations !
Hi Bryan: send your new baby's piccy to Joanie, it's really something to be proud of ... Nout
Views: 356   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 23, 2008 3:40pm
by Bryan Lafleur
r
Ryan
YouTube Cajun Music
I keep watching new videos of Kaleb Trahan playing and just wanted to know if he plays shows anywhere around the Lake Charles / Lafayette area. The more I watch him play the more impressed I am with his playing. He makes it look pretty easy!
Views: 512   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 23, 2008 12:15pm
by Brett Thibodeaux
Any random tips/info about playing triple row?
I'm going into this blindly, it's a little strange after playing a one row for 6 years. Any suggestions, tips, etc? Jim
Views: 858   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 23, 2008 9:46am
by craig
going to Sulphur
My wife and I will be in Sulphur on the last weekend of May for a family reunion. We will be staying at Sam Houston State Park, Friday and Saturday night. If anyone knows about some music on that weekend you can e-mail me. Jerry
Views: 543   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 23, 2008 7:25am
by Ganey Arsement
Acadian Model 2 on eBay
There is an accordion that has recently come and gone on eBay (link below). It was an Acadian Model 2, but what exactly is a Model 2? Does that mean that it's improved from earlier models? Is it preferable than a Model 1, if there is such a thing? The one in the auc...
Views: 505   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 22, 2008 9:51pm
by Ganey Arsement
FALCON Photo
This is a photo of my New FALCON C and Kaleb Trahans 2Key FALCON. I have played several single and two key FALCONs and never really noticed the obvious difference. The flapper valves are much longer to allow for the 6 reed banks. I can't believe that I have never...
Views: 717   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 22, 2008 5:40pm
by Bruce Weeks
Here's a nice and tight sound...
Just the way it should be, on link #2
Views: 554   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 22, 2008 3:20pm
by Gus
Views: 519   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 22, 2008 1:50pm
by Rick Reid
j
JB
Can you speak French & German in the same sentence?
If any braves are headed to the German Belt of the Texas Hill Country this weekend, believe it or not there is a Crawfish Festival in Fredericksburg. See link # 1. Good music, dancing & food. And yeah, there will be an Oktoberfest in October, complete with oom-pah...
Views: 376   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 22, 2008 12:25am
by Rick Reid
r
Ron A.
Great photo!
Now that's a great photo - beautiful Miller and Savoy accordions, and a nice, dark fiddle (with the tailpiece with the built-in fine tuners)for good measure! Is this the first in the series of everybody's boxes?
Views: 571   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 21, 2008 5:18pm
by gus
JimPettijohn ?
Hello Jim! Are you there? Could you please email your email address to me? I'd like to ask you an accordion question :-) I'm at: big(nospam)nick@execpc.com (Of course, remove the "(nospam)" prior to emailing!) Merci! --Biggeroo
Views: 477   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 21, 2008 10:29am
by Rick Reid
G Hohner now 10 cents wet, have a listen
Spent a couple hours bringing it up from 5 cents to 10. The chords don't sound as good, but single notes sound better to me. Can't decide what I like better. Man, this low Hohner is a hard monkey to play. I'm looking forward to getting my Acadian in 'G'. Wh...
Views: 432   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 21, 2008 9:05am
by griff
Yet another makover of the G Hohner
Didn't really like my first attempt at decorating the Hohner, but this new paint job suits it better I think
Views: 467   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 20, 2008 8:13pm
by JimPettijohn
Hi (strictly personal)
I've been missing all the crazy (and, of course, even more often interesting) messages than run around in here. I haven't been around in about a year, I guess. I broke my computer in January, two days after I moved into my new apartment. Finally found a place in Par...
Views: 731   Replies: 19
Last Post: May 20, 2008 5:16pm
by Bayou Dancer
The diabolic diatonic
I sat down with my accordion last night a played for a little while before I stood up. It didn't take long for me become completely bored -- I literally ran out of melodies to play. Is it just me, or do most of y'all find out that there's only amount you can pla...
Views: 530   Replies: 23
Last Post: May 20, 2008 3:31pm
by Nick B
k
Kenny
Waltz of Regret - Lawrence Walker
Howdy from Texas, Here the latest song I am attempting to decipher. Please excuse my continent french ears. Some of these phrases don't make no sense. Lawrence Walker Waltz of Regret Oh, Quel mémoire cher ‘tit coeur Toujours même à p...
Views: 498   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 19, 2008 10:08pm
by neal
g
Gus
ghost acadian on ebay again
This 'ghost' acadian(s) is/are back on ebay. I would swear it was the builder himself on the background (and it were 2 different accordions). Gus
Views: 574   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 19, 2008 2:46pm
by Brett Thibodeaux
OT: Gift Ideas
Ok... so I know this is really off-topic but I honestly have run out of ideas. I'm going to Europe June-July and I will be staying with several families (friends) in different countries. I wanted to give each of them some sort of gift just as a small thank you for...
Views: 536   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 19, 2008 2:07pm
by Sarah Savoy
g
Gus
'donnez moi les' lyrics
I am looking for the lyrics of a version Robert LeBlanc put on the cd "a la veille chez Robert" It seems totally different than the other versions I heard. Gus
Views: 501   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 19, 2008 8:01am
by Dowell
k
Kirk M
Bb Acadian mint condition
I am selling a mint condition (guaranteed) Bb Acadian. $1800 plus shipping. Thought that I would offer it here before putting it on E-Bay. I will send picks upon request. Kirk Menier
Views: 597   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 18, 2008 8:06pm
by John Morris
La valse de Bayou Lafourche
Good morning, I have an old record album with various artist on it and I am wanting to know about a song that Happy Fats did with Doc Guidry. I can understand almost all of it but there are 3 words in it that I can't make out. If anyone has that song "Bayou Lafou...
Views: 451   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 18, 2008 1:01am
by Jerry L. Moody
r
Ridu
accordion
Hi, i would like to start cajun accordion, can somebody help me with the search for an adaquate instrument? because i live in europe the rate of exchange is particularly favorableit in the moment. greetings
Views: 496   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 17, 2008 12:18pm
by Gus
n
Nonc D
Ghost Whisper - As in Cleoma's Ghost ?
So what's a person to do when they can't sleep? Well perhaps if ya have an accordion and a collection of French music, ya look for Ghost's. I've often wondered why someone doesn't compile a cd that provides the essentials of guitar and fiddle to great songs.. and...
Views: 451   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 17, 2008 10:57am
by Rick Reid
Steve Riley video - "ring finger bounce"
This technique is near the beginning on his first instructional DVD. Has anyone else here tried it, and did you have as much trouble as me with it? I can do it, and it's getting easier with practice, of course - but it ain't easy! Any tips? And then comes the r...
Views: 573   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 17, 2008 5:52am
by craig
Marc Savoy Selling Rights to Acadian Accordion to Hohner!
April Fools! (Somebody had to do it!)
Views: 575   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 16, 2008 9:07pm
by testyourself
Here's a decent photo.....
Aint a picture of all my accordions, but my nephew is wailin' on stage!
Views: 605   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 16, 2008 3:12pm
by DP Mandell
Cd release party The Cajun Company
More info on their website : link 2
Views: 509   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 16, 2008 12:16pm
by David # 3
Vote for Us
Somebody doing a poll here on Southern Gospel Groups. Thought I'd pool my resources just to see what happens Here's the link http://www.joomix.com/ just scroll down and check The Bruce Weeks Family Band Maybe we'll win a catfish supper Bruce Link #2
Views: 600   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 16, 2008 10:53am
by Gus
New accordion heroes
A new friend from Baton Rouge sent me a copy of Wayne Toups' "Reflections of the Past". Have y'all heard it? It kicks butt! I wasn't as crazy about some of his rock 'n' soul stuff I'd heard before, but I loved this - I've been listening to it all week. I can't ge...
Views: 445   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 16, 2008 9:18am
by Jamey Hall
Photo of my accordion
I guess this is how you want it submitted: The second photo is the best IMO Capt. e < img src=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26572710@N05/ >
Views: 496   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 16, 2008 12:27am
by Rick Reid
n
nicole
video about Leo Abshire on myspaceTV
A friend sent me the link to this page. There is a video about Leo Abshire & the Cajun Tradition : http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=32891849 Enjoy!
Views: 513   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 15, 2008 11:03pm
by roger w
Submitting Photos For the Header
When submitting photos of your accordion for use in the header, please send them full sized and unedited to my email address which is listed above ~ joan@maison-t-bayou.com. I will take care of the cropping and any additional editing that may need to be done. Thank...
Views: 589   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2008 7:30pm
by JoanieBlon
Views: 476   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 15, 2008 4:50pm
by Rick Reid
Je passé, the four fiddle version
Link 1 , a little clip from the Netherlands Wilfred
Views: 483   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 15, 2008 2:05pm
by Wilfred
w
WF
Just an idea... box showoff
Just thought of this. With the cooperation and approval of Joanie, maybe each member of the forum can send the best picture they have of their accordion. Each month, she can post a different picture at the top of the main page with a small caption at the bottom st...
Views: 535   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 15, 2008 6:18am
by JoanieBlon
Trouble getting Savoy video
I ordered the Wilson Savoy video a couple of weeks ago, and got an e-mail saying thanks, we'll send you a confirmation and tracking number when we ship. I've heard nothing since, so I'm guessing it hasn't been shipped. I e-mailed again to ask what's up, but haven't...
Views: 419   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 14, 2008 5:27pm
by Jamey Hall
Valse des Vachers fiddle arrangement?
Hello Braves! I've been working on both accordion & fiddle parts for "Valse Des Vachers" as of late. I've been using the first Mamou Playboys CD to model the accordion part. But, I've found what I perceive to be a dang near lovely little fiddle variation...
Views: 414   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 14, 2008 4:59pm
by Jerry L. Moody
g
Gus
another hohner, Jim
see link #1 (hope it works) Not the hohner, but the player is pimped Gus
Views: 545   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 14, 2008 4:19pm
by Gus
n
nicole
back of town two-step
I just learnt Back of town two-step at camp, but don't have any recording of it. I found an Octa Clark version of Neal's site. Neat. Can anyone suggest other recordings of that song? Thanks Nicole
Views: 501   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 14, 2008 12:57pm
by nicole
n
Nonc D
An old dose of Double - Clutchin' - prolific style
I am constantly reminded that immersion is inclussive of many styles. While I am somewhat a "died in the wool traditionalist" there is so much more that goes into the mix to be considered. Perhaps for a lack of extensive "TRAPS" (back in the day), there was a ryt...
Views: 602   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 14, 2008 12:04am
by Rick Reid
Views: 430   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 13, 2008 7:20pm
by JimPettijohn
d
Daniel
Lyrics
Looking for the Lyrics to a few Songs Tu Le Ton Son Ton (Clifton Chenier), Bernadette ( Willis Prudhomme) and Jolie Catin (Boozoo and Bois Sec)
Views: 513   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 13, 2008 3:16pm
by meloderon
Gettin' Another Martin!
I was set on getting a Dino Baffetti triple row. I posted a while back about what keys to get. Junior Martin's grandson Joel has one and I asked to try it out. Well I did and I couldn't get it to sound as good as Joel did . . . must have been something with the acco...
Views: 494   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 13, 2008 10:52am
by Tony Broussard
g
Glenn
Tirolean Blues in Bb on Diatonic
Tirolean Blues in Bb... on diatonic
Views: 455   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 13, 2008 9:17am
by Glenn
Jude the Obscure
I had the pleasure of meeting Jude Meche, his wife and their son this weekend at the Liberty Theater. I don't remember if they were traveling back on Sunday, or today, but I hope they were spared the wrath of any tornadoes in Missouri. Let me know when you are saf...
Views: 425   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 12, 2008 9:34pm
by Gene Losey
Shine Mouton accordion in A for sale
This just in from Andrea's list. I personally know nothing about this accordion. Please address questions directly to Jamie. (I do have the attached pictures I can email to you if you want -DP) For sale: One Accordion, handcrafted by the legendary master acco...
Views: 844   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2008 4:40pm
by DP Mandell
w
WF
Cadien de Church Point
since lyrics are a popular forum request... anyone have the lyrics to this converted-to-Cajun song? Thanks. WF
Views: 490   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 12, 2008 3:17pm
by Christian
Yet another Hohner re-working. This time a G
Got me a G Hohner from the early 1980's The thing was badly out of tune, not to mention NOT Cajun tuned, as all HA114s are expected. I spent a good 10 hours straight with only a pee break retuning and cleaning it, raised the buttons, etc. After Cajun tuning i...
Views: 456   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 12, 2008 4:43am
by catmelodeon
m
Marc
Air valve. Question for accordions players
Maybe a stupid question for you (but not for me) : How do you use in best the air valve when you play accordion ? Marc.
Views: 573   Replies: 23
Last Post: May 12, 2008 12:06am
by Jim Pettijohn
La Robe Barree - lyrics anyone?
Can anyone write down the lyrics to La Robe Barree? I've got it on 3 CD's and no lyrics on any. Ann Savoy handed out a transcription at one of her afternoon singing classes at 2007 Balfa Camp, but I lost that. Merci to all. Steve Blais
Views: 476   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 11, 2008 11:29am
by blue norther ste...
l
Leslie
Marc Savoy accordion on E-Bay
That Savoy accordion that was so controversial was sold (see completed listings) and relisted by the same guy. Any ideas?
Views: 645   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 11, 2008 3:32am
by DP Mandell
Who made up Johnny Can't Dance + recording of it on revamped G Hohner
Need to know who cam up with Johnny Can't Dance, or if it's considered public domain trad. Recorded it with the G Hohner, the link is above on website link #1. Refresh the page if you hear silence ~ Jim
Views: 574   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 10, 2008 4:22pm
by Daniel
Anecdote at Lafayette Music Shop...
My friend just got back from Lafayette. He went to the big Music Shop in Lafayette (I think that's the name of it). He asked for a "Tit-Fer", and the guy had no idea what he was referring to. The clerk went and got the manager, and my friend asked again if he had a...
Views: 536   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 9, 2008 6:10pm
by Rick Reid
n
neal
place for used records lps 45s 78s
I went to this place in Lafayette for used lps, 45s, and they also had some 78s. Pioneer Trading Post 5903 Johnston Street Lafayette, LA It's on Hwy 167 going south, just south of Acadiana Mall on the same side of the street in a little strip mall with Albert...
Views: 469   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 9, 2008 8:09am
by Bryan Lafleur
g
George
external mic installation
I would like to install an external mic to my MARTIN C accordion. It seems that most players have installed a SHURE R65. Does anyone out there have any detailed installation instructions on mounting, as well as the electrical hook up.
Views: 426   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 8, 2008 2:55pm
by DP Mandell
a
andy W
Update on 'Accadian' on ebay
Emailed the guy about his ebay box - see link. I pointed out that he had posted photos of two different accordions. he told me that he had in fact two accordions. I asked him which then was he selling, the dark timber one or the light timber one. He told me that he'...
Views: 638   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 8, 2008 10:46am
by Rick Reid
k
Kenny
Need Help with "Tramp Sur La Rue" French Lyrics
Could y'all please help me with the french lyrics to this song? Je ne peux pas comprendre Nathan. Mais J'aime bien. Here is my best guess: Mais, moi j’ai assis, aujourd’hui. Mes misères jongler. Sa calvaire. Des armes passe. Con****e m...
Views: 514   Replies: 16
Last Post: May 7, 2008 9:56pm
by JB
Hohner 114 in G up on Ebay
In case anyone is interested a nice 114 up on Ebay. See link #1. It is the older style in almost new condition with the original box. Ready to be cajun tuned and re-decorated. Take that funky screen off and paint the flappers etc. Capt. E.
Views: 458   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 7, 2008 6:57pm
by Jim Pettijohn
j
Jeaux
Tramp on the street
Did not know proper etiquette on where to post this on the thread below. Since it was getting on down a ways I decided to post as a new thread. If my memory serves me correctly, in the late 40s or early 50s, Roy Acuff did a song by this title. I recall the tune b...
Views: 352   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 7, 2008 4:49pm
by nout
Another Hohner HA114 for sale (in Quebec)
Check out link #3 for an HA114 in C for $425 Cdn. It is in Trois-Rivière, between Quebec city and Montreal.
Views: 474   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 7, 2008 1:08pm
by Capt. Everett
Decorated the G Hohner....
I couldn't think of anything else to do with it. Different, eh?
Views: 461   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 7, 2008 3:53am
by Gus
miced up the 3 row
Sat for a couple hours experimenting with four different mic elements, and ended up using the Shure 65. Seems the old stand by, while not quite as hot as the other capsules, had a broader frequency range, Also had a little bit of grit to it - maybe because of its ag...
Views: 405   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2008 1:08am
by David Sousa
d
Darryl
Sidney Brown and his Music
I was talking with Greg Brown ( Brigg's Father ) recently and he told me he was directly related to the late, great, Mr. Sidney Brown. ..( clearly that's where Greg gets his accordion making skills from ( Tee Cajun Brand ) ..it was always in the genes. I found th...
Views: 1849   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 7, 2008 12:31am
by Darryl
j
JB
Establishing a Do-able List.
OK, for the sake of discussion, Let's say you are an upper-level Beginner, working on improving your act, and you want to have at least 10 numbers in your personal repertoire of songs that you can play without undo screw-ups. You want to stay with Waltz, 2-step...
Views: 488   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 6, 2008 3:52pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Cajun Guitar Players?
Hello Braves! I know this is a stretch .. (especially since this is an accordion forum) but, would anyone know of an available Cajun Rhythm Guitar player in the South-Eastern Wisconsin area that would like to do some gigging? (Or, where to locate one?) I&#...
Views: 580   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 6, 2008 1:30pm
by Big Nick
Interesting Bb/Eb two row
Recently acquired, really cheap, an old Hohner "Venezia" two row tuned in Bb/Eb. First two row I've ever seen tuned that way. Needs tuning and new leathers, but still plays. The bellows are lavender with little white snowflake like dots, green papers printed with h...
Views: 278   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 6, 2008 10:42am
by Capt. Everett
Transcontinental Jam
Just read about about this on another music forum and thought it sounded so cool, I would post it here. Apparently in Audacity, you can mix several tracks. So, lets say Jim lays down an awesome track with that new squeezebox of his, He then sends it to a resident Bra...
Views: 456   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 5, 2008 5:07pm
by nout
testosterone = where music came from
Especially Cajun music. If you listen to the old hard hitting riffs, it had to do with BALLS. Unfortunately not the other, as many may believe. At least there's no physical fights in this forum! But don't complain about testosterone, Joan. Kick me out if y...
Views: 473   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 5, 2008 4:04pm
by Rick Reid
What Key?
I've been doing extensive research with my harmonicas trying to decide what key to get my next box in. (yeah, I know, a harmonica is like playing with only the two middle reeds open, but I still like them) Last night Bb sounded really nice. My favorite song on Charl...
Views: 456   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 5, 2008 10:23am
by Rick Reid
Another Acadian up on Ebay.
Link #1 . Pretty box, strange description, seems like someone who really doesn't know Cajun Accordions. Didn't give the key (assume C) Looks new and probably a fair price, but he needs to write a better ad to get it. Case? Capt. E.
Views: 538   Replies: 33
Last Post: May 4, 2008 2:38pm
by Karl
c accordion
hi, hey thanks everyone, lots of great tips. today i called john doucet from the list that was recommended and he sounded like a great guy and had 2 made. price seemed good, 1600. funny, maybe the numbers on the list had changed their area code or something but he w...
Views: 496   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 2, 2008 9:10pm
by DP Mandell
3 row micing question
I've had good success internally micing single rows, but on a three row, what about under the grill? I realize that won't pick up the bass side, but other than that, are there any other disadvantages? Steve
Views: 469   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 2, 2008 7:50pm
by Joel Johnson
g
griff
Cleoma Breaux and Joe Falcon recording
There is cut on the 'Allons Boire un Coups' cd that just strikes me as being so well done called 'Mon Bon Vieux Mari' with Anna Laura Edmiston in lead vocal. I just found this tune by Cleoma and Joe Falcon called 'La Vieux Soulard et sa femme'. I had never it befo...
Views: 486   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 2, 2008 5:33pm
by Harlan
Balfa 2008 Closing thoughts & photographs
Hello Braves, I’d like to post a few photo’s that we took at Balfa 2008. I would have like to have taken more photo’s, but if you’ve ever spent a vacation through a view finder, you know that you can miss a lot by doing that I t...
Views: 578   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 2, 2008 5:05pm
by Capt. Everett
g
Glenn
Saulieu 2008 who's going?
We are planning to be there( if health, family etc permit ). Wondered if anyone else is heading back ? Glenn ( in Italy )
Views: 469   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 2, 2008 4:47am
by BJ
Realplayer 11 - Not Bad
I just recently upgraded to Realplayer 11 and am pretty pleased with the extras. The main addition is the ability to steal/download html videos from anywhere. This works great for YouTubers. I was able to take some old videos that I found somewhere online and...
Views: 484   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 1, 2008 2:35pm
by Brett Thibodeaux
l
laren
Anyone have lyrics for "Two Step de Tante Nana" AKA "Chez Moreau" (Pine Leaf Boys: La Musique)
I just discovered this forum and it's great. Anyway I am looking for lyrics to the tune "Two Step de Tante Nana" which I've heard Preston Frank do many times. The same tune with additional lyrics by Cedric Watson appears on Pine Leaf Boys "La Musique" and is called "...
Views: 556   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 1, 2008 11:33am
by Maz - Acadien du...
Couple of Fun Weekends Coming Up!
Just got a call from Jesse Lege'. Looks like I'll be playing with him on the 10th at Contraband Days here in Lake Charles and that night at the Liberty Theater. Also possibly at Nunu's this Saturday, but not confirmed. Man its good to have Jesse around again. Shou...
Views: 406   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 1, 2008 5:22am
by JimPettijohn
Some odds and ends about signing and vocal ranges.
In a previous thread, we were discussing different voice ranges and how that plays into the choice of accordion key. I thought I would expand on that topic a little. In particular, what are the delineations of vocal ranges for male singers, and what are the perce...
Views: 607   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 6:29pm
by Rick Reid
Lyrivs - Quand J'Etais Pauvre - s'il vous plaît?
Hi Braves, One of the featured tunes for Balfa Heritage 2008 was "Quand J'Etais Pauvre" (When I Was Poor). Somehow, I did not get a copy of the lyrics! Would anyone be so kind as to either post the lyrics or direct me to a source! Merci Beaucoup! --B...
Views: 511   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 3:04pm
by Marc
still wanting a "c" cajun accordion
hi all, i am still looking for a used c louisana made. i would like to find out about poullard. i think i met him and liked him alot, last week and i heard he also makes accordions. i might try to save up and get one of the big 3, but i thought i would...
Views: 409   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 11:38am
by Maz - Acadien du...
New Bon Temps (pictures/sound clip)
Just received my new Bon Temps accordion in F, by Jude Moreau. This baby sings! The sound of this F accordion reminds me of a cross between a nuclear submarine and a merry-go-round. Thanks to Rick Reid for helping me graphically design it! Anyway, here's som...
Views: 702   Replies: 27
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 11:15am
by Jim Pettijohn
Another recording on the 'F' Bon Temps
Ever since I first heard Marc Savoy's "Made in Louisiana" a few years ago, I knew that I NEEDED an 'F' accordion. The sound of waltzes reminds me of a carousel. Playing this thing makes me hungry for cotton candy. True, this is not a typical Cajun soun...
Views: 429   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 10:51am
by Capt. Everett
EQ and compressor fro Accordion
Thought I would start a new thread on this. I met Russ when he and his band Redline Zydeco were backing up Willis Prudhomme a couple of weeks ago. I checked out his setup and he had the Boss EQ hooked up to a Rocktron Big Crush Compressor. I was impressed by the s...
Views: 680   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 8:20am
by testyourself
a
Andy
Poullard accordions
I'm loving the look of those three boxes. When did he make these? The little designs on the front remind me of John Roger's accordions. Andy p.s. any chance of more pics of those accordions, including close-ups?
Views: 2222   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 8:19am
by testyourself
n
Nonc D
When you think you're not learning .. are ya?
With or without the intervention of accordion lessons from another person, can ya continue to learn? Ever wonder? May sound odd, but I have put the accordions away for extended periods (now and again), returned and still managed to learn something just by listeni...
Views: 535   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 10:16pm
by Maz- Acadien du ...
A new box. What key?
Just sent a letter off to Danny Dyson about ordering a new box. I've decided on a "tit noir". I want metal buttons, brass if he can get them, gold/red flappers, black/red bellows.I want it tuned in D, but after some recent postings here, I am thinking about A. I coul...
Views: 412   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 6:22pm
by Capt. Everett
Blackpot festival, October '08
Hi Braves, here's a new festival in Louisiana that you may want to consider. It seems to be right after the Festival Acadien. It looks pretty interesting (link #2). Gee, I would make a good rep for their tourism department!
Views: 397   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 12:53pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Check out this young lad playing "Porte d'en arrière" like a pro
On link #2, this was taken at the last Mardi Gras in Eunice with the Mamou Playboys. His name is Briggs Brown... Wow!
Views: 525   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 12:42pm
by Bryan Lafleur
c
Chuck
Technical Question
Can I capture individule audio tracks from my instructional DVDs, into iTunes? I could then listen to exactly what I'm learning through my iPod. Seems like this should be doable, but I'm not enough of a computer guy to know how. Thanks in advance for any help. Chuck.
Views: 459   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 10:42am
by Chuck
j
Joey G
Accordion Lessons/ Lafayette
Hey guys, I am thinking about taking some lessons as I feel I have kinda hit a point where I'm not learning anything new. I have considered a few people in the area (I live in Carencro) for lessons. I don't know if Steve Riley is still doing them or not, but I...
Views: 583   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 1:15am
by Rick Reid
How much, for what & when?
All the talk these days about inflation & the price of gas & food going up got me thinking. I'd be interested to see what people paid over the years for a new hand made accordion purchased from the builder. I'll start it off. Mine is an Acadian purchased about...
Views: 588   Replies: 16
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 7:19pm
by chris miller
c
claude
3 rows boxes and bluesy sounds!
I always read , on this board, how good, some recently purchased box,second hand or new, sounds!. I'm sure that accordions, in terms of the sounds that they emit when being played, can be slightly different then others, of the same style. Micings, tuning, r...
Views: 474   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 5:16pm
by Capt. Everett
w
WF
RVdC: Sheryl Cormier and Cajun Sound
(View in 800x600.) Enjoy WF Sheryl Cormier and Cajun Sound on Rendez-vous des Cajuns. Song: Tit Galop Pour La Pointe Aux Pins. Sheryl Cormier and Cajun Sound on Rendez-vous des Cajuns. Song: Leroy Broussard's "Big Boy Waltz"
Views: 480   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 5:02pm
by Nick B
Balfa Heritage 2008 - The good, the bad, the etc.
Hello Braves, For those braves lucky enough to have attended this year's Balfa Heritage week, how did it go for you? What did you like the most? The least? (Besides having to return home!) We've just returned home and am just beginning to sort it all ou...
Views: 554   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 10:54am
by Capt. Everett
c
CJG
Jimmy Breaux
Jimmy Breaux (accordionist with Beausoleil) has just purchased a new Martin in the key of D. Sold his red Gros Bec to a collector. Also be on the lookout for Jimmy's new CD coming out soon. In studio getting final mix as we speak. Jimmy Breaux and Friends Recor...
Views: 508   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 9:23pm
by Jamey Hall
w
WF
Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival - Schedule of Events May 2, 3, 4, 2008
May 2, 3, 4, 2008 BB Crawfish Festival Friday, May 2nd Crawfish Stage 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Ray Abshire 7:45 pm - 9:45 pm Pine Leaf Boys 10:00 pm - 12:00 am Dustin Ray & Southern Groove Festival Stage 5:15 pm - 7:00 pm Feu Follet 7:15 pm - 9:15 pm Geno Del...
Views: 460   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 6:18pm
by WF
Triple Row - What keys to get?
I have a Bb Martin and looking to get another box. I wanted to get a Martin D. I was at Junior's place yesterday and saw a triple row on the table and tried it out. It was a GCF. Man, I always wanted one, and playing that one just made me want one a hundred times mor...
Views: 603   Replies: 33
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 12:56pm
by larry english
d
Dowell
Balfa Camp Jam Pictures
I thought that you guys would like see a few pictures taken at the Jam Tent at Balfa Camp Saturday. The young boy in the middle of this picture surprised everyone with his extremely good playing. He played Bois Sec's "Quo Faire." Dowell Lafleur
Views: 466   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 9:16am
by Big Nick
n
nout
For the builders & reparers amongst y'all
Hi; i recently bought that Ervin Lejeune Bb on Ebay, also out of sort of nostalgia, met Eddie on a tour in Europe back then ..... Alas the guy selling it wasn't really honest about it, actually lied pretty much about it, and it needs some fixes. If you wanna now more...
Views: 501   Replies: 21
Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 5:55pm
by Jim Pettijohn
Free Cajun Classic Music - MP3
I have about 130 Cajun/French CD's and I was to the point where I felt that there wasn't anymore music out there that I would like to have. This site proved me wrong, lots of great classics that you can't find anywhere else. Check out Link #2.. Brett Thibodeaux
Views: 529   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 10:31am
by nout
Lost Bayou Ramblers at Blue Moon Saloon
Check out this new clip on link #2. Cool stuff.
Views: 460   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 11:31pm
by Gary
b
brian
crown accordion
anyone ever heard of/played on an accordion like this one. check the #1 ebay link
Views: 772   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 11:08pm
by Toby
Lost Bayou Ramblers performance
Heard The Lost Bayou Ramblers perform for the first time this evening in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I am glad that I did, because I can now add them to my list of bands or musicians whose music I enjoy -- without trying to get too big of a list, being an old folgey....
Views: 354   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 9:21pm
by Matt O'Quain
Swallow Accordion
There's was a new unsold one sitting in Floyd's Record shop in Ville Platte yesterday. He only uses natural unstained wood and makes four a year. This one is curly maple. The $1600 price tag seems like a bargain for the way it plays. Very tempting...
Views: 649   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 6:37pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Cajunfid on YouTUBE - Sounds good
Check out link # 2. Very smooth player....
Views: 551   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 6:35pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Mamou Playboys coming to C. Texas
Just learned Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys coming to "The Oaks" in Manor (just ne of Austin) on Fri. May 30... GOTTA GO !!! They come this way occasionally, but I always seem to miss them. Capt. E.
Views: 274   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 5:31pm
by Capt. Everett
What makes the "difference"?
I've reposted this, as it seems a good point for discussion: I really don't quite understand why one hand-made LA accordion would handle better than another if the strap adjustments and the depth of the keyboard are the same. Sure, round plastic buttons feel diffe...
Views: 595   Replies: 20
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 12:41pm
by Capt. Everett
Mamou Cajun Band
Just wanted to share this. Among the little treasures on YouTube: Cyprien Landreneau playing "La Talle d'Eronces". Christian
Views: 417   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 10:59am
by Capt. Everett
w
WF
Swamp N Roll Archive Videos
Enjoy! Swamp N Roll Archive Videos WF
Views: 462   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 10:09pm
by Pdubya
Crawfish Festival Next Weekend - Band Schedule
Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival May 2, 3, 4, 2008 Musical Lineup! Friday, May 2nd Crawfish Stage 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm Ray Abshire 7:45 pm - 9:45 pm Pine Leaf Boys 10:00 pm - 12:00 am Dustin Ray & Southern Groove Festival Stage 5:15 pm - 7:00 pm Feu Fo...
Views: 467   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 9:08pm
by Darryl
Old Susanna
I found out this morning that this makes a pretty peppy cajun sounding tune!!!!!!!!!! Bruce
Views: 434   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 5:35pm
by Capt. Everett
Please with my new Blue FALCON "C"
I am currently engaged and plan to get married in July 2009. My fiance wanted to get me something nice so she ordered my present a year ahead of time thinking it would take a year to build. 3 months later my present was completed. Shocked that it had only taken 3...
Views: 850   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 4:06pm
by MarkS
Minnie White, God bless 'er
Check out this little lady http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqIX8l9ADo&feature=related She plays a two row and doesn't even use an arm strap. Tough little old bird!
Views: 380   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 1:32pm
by Jim Pettijohn
w
WF
Map: Cajun Louisiana Sites
A map of Cajun sites to visit while in Louisiana. Cajun Louisiana Sites I've seen several posts entitled something like "Where should I go while I'm in Lafayette?" Here is a map showing several recommended places by CADG members like you. Feel free to submi...
Views: 548   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 1:03am
by Rick Reid
Savoy accordion on ebay
Just saw this on ebay if any is interested. Link #1
Views: 642   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 12:07am
by nout
What was your weirdest request
When I break out the fiddle, quaranteed someone'll shout out Devil Went Down To Georgia. When I break out the accordion, around here, most people just stare trying to figure out what it is. Although once, I strapped on the box, and someone shouted out Free Bird. Told...
Views: 591   Replies: 26
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 6:22pm
by David Sousa
Key question.....
Okay, not an accordion player (yet) but have a question about the key of instruments versus the key of songs played, scales, etc. So on a C accordion you would play tunes in C and G? What type of scale does it have for the ten keys. I am a guitar player (mostly by...
Views: 485   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 2:29pm
by RPr
Song "Redwing" b-part very similar to "High Point"
Looking up Hohner Panther on youtube and came across a song from a different genre that has a b-part with an uncanny resemblance to High Point Two-Step See link above in Website Link 1
Views: 464   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 12:35pm
by Bruce Weeks
Pineleaf Boys live on line
According to the web site, Pineleaf Boys are broadcasting live video from the Blue Moon tonight at 8pm (theor time). Not much details - not sure if it'll be on theor site, Blue Moon's site, or somewhere else. Anybody have more details? Steve
Views: 509   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 8:53am
by WF
n
nout
reed layout
Hi, Can anyone help me with a "home made" reed layout, for a Cajun accordion, or has a reed layout scheme. Maybe taken measurements for various sizes of reeds? thanks, -nout
Views: 319   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 5:21am
by nout
Hohner Panther reviews?
I'm debating buying one. I don't care about the key it comes in, just about what breaks on it within the first few months. Any reviews?
Views: 394   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 5:35pm
by David Sousa
De Fa Tras Cajun Fest this last Saturday...
My wife and I had a good time at the Cajun Fest this last Saturday. We got there about noon and left about 9pm. We enjoyed all three bands, danced about as much as we could, had our fill of gumbo, boudin, shrimp and crawfish. Of the three bands I liked Charles Thibo...
Views: 297   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 10:32am
by Capt. Everett
Lyrics "Ma mule"
It`s a very nice tune, and i can play it, but can someone help me to the lyrics? The only version I`ve heard is sung by David Johannsen singer of the NY Dolls, are there any other known versions? Wilfred
Views: 422   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 12:41am
by JB
s
Scott
Triple row, and a question for Maz
Hi All, I'm looking for a lower priced triple row in F-Bb-Eb. So, first question, Maz, if you still have it, any interest in selling your Panther in that key? Next, any suggestions as far as what to get? I realize that the Hohner Compadre only has two sets o...
Views: 380   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 4:49pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Have Balfa Camp Songs been announced?
I am looking forward to showing up for a couple half days if I can and wanted to knoew if the "Camp Songs", that is those three songs that that are focused on every year, had been announced. Anyone know? Janet
Views: 450   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 4:01pm
by Christian
Record CD stores in SW Louisiana
I am heading down to Lafayette for the International Music Festival this week. Can any one help me with the location of record/CD shops in the area that would carry Cajun music by some of the older practitioners. I'll have a car for a few days, some distance is OK....
Views: 416   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 1:23pm
by Rick Reid
Not a Cajun box, but interesting, Any coments Glen??
A Gabbanelli for sale on Ebay. Am I right? It can be switched from FBE to GCF...two accordions in one! Never seen that before. Probably very heavy. Capt. E
Views: 532   Replies: 17
Last Post: Apr 20, 2008 5:20pm
by nout
n
nout
For Nicole - Melodie
Hi Nicole - i was wondering what kind of reeds were fitted in your Melodie - i just bought an old cajun box with brass reed plates & steel reeds - sounds very old fashioned, ringy and sweet & softer compared to Bincis; a bit like the Segura Brothers' "New Iberia Polk...
Views: 369   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 19, 2008 4:11pm
by Andy
Question for the fiddle "connaisseurs"
Hi Braves, my brother lent me (for the long time) a very old fiddle he picked up at an antique shop. It's in very good shape, and the inside has a small label that says "Made in Nippon". There is no year. It came with a very old wooden hard case that looks like a cof...
Views: 507   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 19, 2008 3:38pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
w
WF
Swamp N Roll: Dustin Ray and Southern Groove
Obviously influenced by Wayne Toups and Steve Riley. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9YN8Lr8T18 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t0C6vXfOvA Enjoy! WF
Views: 551   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 19, 2008 12:54pm
by Toby
n
nout
for rick, a subject on subjecting subjects
Aye Sailor, my cap 's off, & you win at a yard arms length: i noticed we're probably the last ones finishing off 50% of the properly started subjects with a probably too scary & murderous attempt for the others to do join the fun; even the more so when the subject ha...
Views: 413   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 18, 2008 12:51am
by nout
n
nicole
pictures of melodie accordion
Here are pictures of Melodie accordion, made in Quebec by Sylvain Vezina in Montmagny. (link #1 above) It has pearl buttons, all maple box and flappers (notice the absence of metal corners) and handmade bellows made by the builder (he learnt how from some Italian...
Views: 1529   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 10:15pm
by Andy
temperature and sound of reeds
Is it me or do reeds sound much better in somewhat colder temperatures (nothing below 65 degrees mind you!) When I play my accordions in air conditioning they seem to sound much better than in the same room with very warm temperatures.
Views: 384   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 4:19pm
by RPr
lyrics to valse de marais bouleur
hello friends does anyone have the lyrics to the old song la valse de marais bouleur? harry trahan's version just gives me the frisson....... any help would be really appreciated.... roger
Views: 568   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 12:41pm
by Marc
A Bit Off Topic But Look at This Beautiful Box
Okay, I love Cajun music as much as anyone. In fact, I love it so much I am selling my Irish double row. Check out the link #2 above. It is a beautiful handbuilt double row, 3 voice accordion (note the stop on top). Made of oak by Cairdin in Ireland. A sweet soun...
Views: 464   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 7:47am
by Glenn
y
Yves
Joe Bonsall and the Orange Playboys
A great CD came out on Swallow Records with a selection of 27 of Joe Bonsall's releases, including Wilson LeJeune on steel guitar and Floyd LeBlanc on fiddle. Absolutely a must!!!
Views: 456   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 7:44am
by Harlan
s
Scott
Triple Row vs Single
OK, before I go after the triple row, is it: -a little bit more challenging than single row -a medium amount -vastly more challenging, don't even think it unless you're seriously committed. Thanks for the input! Scott
Views: 531   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 11:33pm
by Joel Johnson
s
sabra
Dennis McGee, Jr.
I just read in my hometown newspaper (Texas) that a Dennis McGee, Jr. had passed away at the age of 80 in a VERY small town called Mineral. The obit said that he was the son of Dennis and Gladys (Courville) McGee, born in 1927 in Chataignier, LA. I don't know if hi...
Views: 492   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 6:20pm
by JB
s
Stoffe
Modify my Cajun King
Hi everybody. Just got my brand new Gabb Cajun King delivered and already I´m sitting with the screwdriver and welding iron in my hands. I´ve mounted a microphone on the inside of the bellows. Real cool and different sound! When I was sorting this thing out...
Views: 335   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 4:43pm
by nout
h
Hal
Soft sided Igloo accordion case
Sure nice of Igloo to make a case for LA diatonics! can't find one locally and can't tell which ones would fit right. Can someone point me to the correct one? Hal http://www.igloo-store.com/product_list.asp?SKW=softiglobasics
Views: 462   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 2:13pm
by steve from Jerse...
Gerry McGee...
Three years ago, I was checking out guitars at one of the huge chain shops in Tokyo, and saw a guy shopping for a Strat. He was about my age and the Japanese man with him was doing his best to pull every high-end Fender Japan guitar off the wall. I looked closer...
Views: 411   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 8:45am
by Tom Quinn
How Much Should Accordion Lessons Cost?
This is a good question. Many people would say $20 dollars an hour, some would say $25 dollars an hour. Some more or some less. Some would say "well it all depends on who it is and if I know the person". When really the instructor should ask themselves what am I...
Views: 2185   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 12:49am
by nout
OK .. Let us try 180 (90) pbm
Hi Braves, I've posted "take-2" of Midland Two Step at 180 bpm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgh8cGi1Hs Does this tempo sound "comfy"? Not rushed? Too fast for Granny? Merci beaucoup! --Big
Views: 519   Replies: 18
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 12:36am
by Rick Reid
k
Karl
little repair work
Hello all Last night while sitting in my kitchen playing, my five button lost all action / spring. Help! what do I do to get it back? Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to find someone. I live in Mich, so I fear I may not easily find someone who can...
Views: 452   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 11:24pm
by Jim Pettijohn
Jim Olivier Dead at 57
I don't know how many of you on this board know of or remember Jim Olivier, but I found this obituary for him in today's Lafayette Daily Advertiser. I remember watching his Passe Patout show on KLFY in the early morning before school. Back then, it didn't really...
Views: 671   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 4:50pm
by neal
Views: 512   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 2:39pm
by Glenn
Would this case fit a handmade Cajun accordion (see link).....
Anyone have one of these, are have an idea if a handmade will fit inside them? See link 1
Views: 452   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 2:27pm
by gus
t
Toby
Key of D may need new home
Hello Everyone, I have a Crown accordion in the "D" key that I am considering selling for financial reasons. It is in very good condition with a case, and I will try to post a pic here. I think I have one posted on the Yahoo gallery group site if you want to check. I...
Views: 552   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 2:23pm
by Toby
Who's going to Balfa Camp?
Hey everyone, I was just curious to see if any Braves were going to be going to Balfa camp this year. I will be out there during the roots heritage day playing with a New Orleans based Cajun band, Bayou Deville. John
Views: 531   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 15, 2008 1:07pm
by Rob Krumm
Question for the "connaisseurs" on an antique box
Hi guys, today, I was browsing antique shops in Halifax. I came across an old single row diatonic. The size seems just a bit smaller than a Cajun and it is a bit lighter. It is black. The brand reads: "Kalbes's Imperial Accordeon" The bellows leak quite a bit...
Views: 423   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 14, 2008 9:24pm
by larry english
n
nicole
side effect
Has any of you experimented this side effect from playing Cajun accordion seated? A depression has formed in my right thigh, just where I sit the accordion to play. I've been playing for 6 years now and this appeared only a couple months back. I read so...
Views: 495   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 14, 2008 11:03am
by Rick Reid
King Accordions
Hey Braves; I got the chance to try out a King accordion at Gabinelli's this week. Did you know that their corners are not mitered or butted but joined by an offset where the horizontal parts of the frame fit into a grove cut into the vertical parts of the fram...
Views: 560   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 13, 2008 11:40pm
by Capt. Everett
r
Read
cell phone ringtone file
Appleinsider is what cell phone ringtone file hillary loses it is expecting fifty million buttons bigger. Now we are todays machine telugu ring tones and amanda? Im ringtones on memory card a lot less cooling thereby choke - pedaling and invite you takin notes will t...
Views: 320   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 13, 2008 8:53pm
by DP Mandell
d
Daniel
Is there
Is there really such thing as a bad Accordion builder, as far as Hand made goes. And who would you all advise to watch out for. . . If it is safe to ask this question. And also is there anyone in this room that is From St. Martins Parish, La. Daniel
Views: 568   Replies: 14
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 11:11am
by Daniel
g
George
tuning
I read on one of the recent posts that after 50 hours of play on a new accordion, it should be returned to the builder to have the tuning tweeked. I own a MARTIN key of C box, with over 50 hours of playing time. Is this really necessary?
Views: 467   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 11, 2008 4:49pm
by Capt. Everett
Another accordion
I have my Junior Martin now a few weeks and I'm getting used to it. I'm very glad that I have a Louisiana made one. I'm not the first player, but it plays very fine and it sound very good.
Views: 535   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 11, 2008 12:52pm
by gus
ACCORDION FOR SALE
I have a Bon Cajun acordion that I bought from Larry Millar a few years ago - I have wrestled with it for a while now! It is in "C" - never been gigged, just played at home. Is there anyone interested/anywhere I can sell it??
Views: 506   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 11, 2008 12:47pm
by gus
Stamping your feet ??
After the dance issue, I really want to know when I'm have to put my feets on the ground while playing a waltz or a two step. I think that in a waltz the stamp is on 1 and 3. And in a two step on 1. I have seen it in many movies that they stamp on that number.
Views: 493   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 11, 2008 10:07am
by Ed
No Wikipedia article on Cajun accordion? Help needed!
I've been doing some editing on Wikipedia, and just realized that there's no good coverage of Cajun accordion! It gets a very, very brief mention in the following article, but that's about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatonic_button_accordion I'm going...
Views: 401   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 6:25pm
by nout
n
nout
technical questions for builders/makers
Hi, and this is seriously meant Rick, down boy, lay off, & some day on some planet i might buy you a beer if you do, or even don't ...! - REEDS; about breaking in new reeds (binci in this case): - i have found that well & toughly used (non rusty) reeds sound sort of...
Views: 401   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 6:19pm
by gus
Which box to buy?
I am about ready to order a new box (probably from Danny Dyson) tuned in D. I have narrowed my choices down to two possibles: Link #1 is the box I now own. Link #2 is a great black box made by Larry Martin. Link #3 is a beautiful walnut box by Marc Savoy. ...black o...
Views: 433   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 5:51pm
by nout
Converting a $20 toy accordion into a real child accordion
Here at link #2 something worthy. Apparently, a guy at Dancemaster accordion took a $20 toy accordion, replaced the crappy reed with some hohner reeds.. here's the product you YouTube. Not bad. I wonder how much these replacement hohner reeds would cost? Good idea fo...
Views: 478   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 5:12pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Toads love my box
I was playing back on my screen porch the other night and I notice two toads had come out of their holes to listen. They sat up tall and didn't move a muscle until I stopped and they popped back out of view. Is this a good thing? Capt. Everett P.S Any of you b...
Views: 345   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 11:43am
by Rick Reid
Gorgeous Bon Cajun in C for sale on Ebay
This Larry Miller box made of old birds-eye maple recovered from the bottom of Lake Superior is freaking beautiful! Key of C. Link #3 above. I love the wood. I've got to consider something like that for the next one I order. J. Everett
Views: 596   Replies: 23
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 10:22am
by Capt. Everett
Can anyone hook me up with 10 Hohner HA 144 springs?
Before you mention Hohner in Virginia, they are not being helpful at all for the bellows I've ordered or the fingerboard. They have 1 person working part time in replacement parts. I'm not exaggerating either, there is only one person. I'd be willing to pay 15 d...
Views: 411   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 9:54am
by claude luneau
New CDs from Savoy/Michot/Watson etc
I just noticed a CD I had never seen with Wilson Savoy, Cedric Watson and Louis Michot from Lost Bayou Ramblers... That should be interesting, has anyone listened to it? What about the new Pine Leaf Boys CD? Any feedback?
Views: 546   Replies: 16
Last Post: Apr 9, 2008 7:07pm
by gus
50th wedding anniversary song - (Mon Vieux Mari) lyrics
I have that song on one of my CDs, but I can't remember which one. It's about a 50th wedding anniversary in French. Does anyone know it? Anyone might have the lyrics? It goes like that: Hé,vieux mari....
Views: 375   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 9, 2008 2:32pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
n
nicole
my new baby
Hi y'all, I've got a new baby at home. Thought I'd share a picture with you. I didn't remember how demanding a new accordion was on arm muscles... I'm doing some serious exercise here! But it is getting more flexible and sounds absolutely great... and loud....
Views: 679   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 8, 2008 12:48pm
by nicole
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!