U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
s
Sharon
Army WWII war dog search
I am hoping someone can help me locate where I can find what happened to a dog that was donated in 1944 to the Army. My father donated his German shepherd and has always wondered what happened to him. My father is dying of cancer and I would really like to give him t...
Views: 987   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 30, 2007 2:53pm
by Sharon
j
jo
info on a marine and his dog in vietnam
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me. My brother went to school with a marine who was killed in vietnam during 1969, in south vietnam. He mentioned to me that this marine was killed in action with his dog and that he believed he was a dog handler. However, I...
Views: 993   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 18, 2007 5:56pm
by jo
c
Claire
Where would I even begin?
Hi my name is Claire and I am an Army wife and an Army mom. I have one soldier at Benning and another in Iraq. Needless to say I have a soft spot for soldiers... and especially the ones who start out as puppies! :) My maternal family has a War Dog hero from WWII t...
Views: 1047   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 16, 2007 3:51am
by Claire
Dog Teams KIA
I'm working on a slideshow for our tour of duty here in SW Asia. I wanted to end it with a list of all those dog teams who have been killed in action since WWII. Although i can easily find the Vietnam info. i've had no luck with any war prior or since. Does anyone...
Views: 982   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 15, 2007 11:27pm
by SSgt Eric Fritz
School project- helping war dogs and handelers.
Hello all, my name is Josh Bailey and I am president of my schools boys service club. As our major project for the 2007-2008 school year, I brought up the possibility of sending supplies and matierials to war dog teams in Irag and Afghanistan (We did something simila...
Views: 947   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 13, 2007 12:33pm
by Roger
j
jo
interested in writing an article about war dogs
Hi I am new to this site, but I find it fascinating to learn about wardogs is there anyone interested in telling me their stories so i can write an article about it and also have an exhibit to educate others.
Views: 874   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 3:38am
by Perry C. Money
Rest In Peace( Cpl Wiens & k-9 Cooper)
On 7-6-2007, Cpl Kory D. Wiens, 20 years old, and his K9 Partner, Cooper, were killed by an IED while on patrol in Muhammad Sath, Iraq. They served with the 94th Mine Dog Detachment. They were reportedly the first military working dog team killed together since the i...
Views: 906   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 1, 2007 8:30pm
by Ron Aiello
Fallen Marine Memorial Run
please visit www.fallenmarinememorialrun.com Thank You
Views: 1049   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 22, 2007 7:37am
by Richard J Monde...
Lost K-9 Buddies
Does any one know the where abouts of two Air Force Dog Handlers Curtis Henthorne and Tim Elliott. Both were previous K-9 instructors at Lackland. Curt Henthorne had been stationed at Kadena AB '84-86. Elliott at Fairchild AFB, 87-91, Clark AB 91-93? Anyone who ma...
Views: 1070   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 20, 2007 1:35pm
by Elgin "Casey" sh...
WWII dog trainer/photographer Lt.Col. Glenn I. Miller, any info on him?
My grandfather Lt. Col. Glenn I Miller (Army)(Calif.) was ordered to incorporate dogs in the war. I have not found any documentation with his name to date. I used to have some transcripts from the war with this order. THEY HAVE SINCE BEEN STOLEN ALONG WITH TRAINING...
Views: 931   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 18, 2007 12:08pm
by Cindy Hasch
Handler Down
ALCON, It is with deepest regret that I inform you of the loss of one of our own. This past weekend, MSgt Reginal A. Cook of the 341st Training Squadron was killed in a traffic accident. At approximately 0145 on 20 May 06, while riding his motorcycle home, he a...
Views: 1295   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 12, 2007 10:41am
by Delores Dickinso...
Needed: bullet proof vests for our Police K9's
The SSD K9 Unit received a generous donation from an anonymous citizen who specifically wanted the donation used to buy bullet proof vests for our dogs. We were able to outfit 9 of our 13 dogs. We are now raising money to outfit the remaining 4 K9 teams. K9 Storm...
Views: 870   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2007 4:31pm
by Brian Amos & K9 ...
Working dog handlers/dog trainers in civilian life
I would like to talk to or email with former dog handlers that made the move into training after their military careers. I was an Army MP dog handler stationed at Ft. Ord CA. worked total of 5 dogs, an old bio shepard, 2 questionable shepards, 1 at school that liked...
Views: 926   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2007 1:22pm
by Lila
possible wedding donation
I am getting married this coming November and in lieu of a gift, my fiance and I are interested in making a donation to an animal organization. I saw your article in Just Labs and we are interested in your program. If at all possible, please email me information re...
Views: 902   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 15, 2007 12:04pm
by Ron Aiello
needing info for a WWII history project
Hello- My 15 yr old daughter could choose ANY topic for a WWII project, and she has selected war dogs. We are dog lovers and proud owners of two incredible shepards. If anyone can supply us articles, use of the dogs, etc for this project, it is greatly appreciated...
Views: 846   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 10, 2007 8:49am
by Andrea
looking for any information
My father, an ex-marine who served in Korea, had a German Shepard that he trained and could no longer keep. He sent him to the Marine Corps around 1967/68. We have a picture(not in very good shape) of the dog, Brutus, and his handler. The back of the picture says Da...
Views: 907   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2007 6:40am
by Tom Gregus
U S War Dog Commemorative Stamp Update
On April 14 2006 I sent in a formal request to the Citizens Advisory Stamp Committee requesting that a U S War Dogs Commemorative Stamp be issued to honor our U S Military War Dogs. Along with this request were signatures that our organization has been coll...
Views: 973   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 10, 2007 8:12pm
by Last.Tango
z
Zoe
Military family looking for a Smoushond Dog in Germany. (Darmstadt area)
Hi, After doing loads and loads of homework about dog breeds and what one would suit my family I have come to the conclusion that we should look for a Smoushond due to their lovely temprement and loyal ways. They are very popular in Holland and we are stationed in Ge...
Views: 856   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 5, 2007 12:18am
by Zoe
Would like to name my new female in honor of a war dog
My name is Justin Krage. I have a female Vizsla on the way. She will be my new field dog (hunting). I would like your permission to name her in honor of a fallen war dog. Please provide me with recomendations/suggestions as to who I should name her after. I would als...
Views: 925   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 17, 2007 4:17pm
by Justin Krage
War Dog Discharge Papers
My father's family dog was a war dog during the 1940-50s (sketchy time frame). My dad, MSGT Don Darmer, Retired, was issued discharge papers for the dog when the dog was no longer needed. Would anyone have any helpful hints on how to get copies of the dog's discharge...
Views: 1091   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 11, 2006 1:44pm
by Tracy Darmer
Need Help with WWII Marine Dog Handler
My uncle, who died several years ago, according to our family history, was a Marine attached to the 4th Marine Regiment with both the 3rd and 6th Marine Divisions. He fought at Bouganville, Guam and Okinawa. Also I just learned recently he handled a dog as part of...
Views: 893   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 7, 2006 6:31pm
by David Upton
j
Jelena
looking for the proffesional doghandler
Hallo!My name is Jelena Eklund and I’m from Europe from Estonia.I’m 30 y.o. I have 16 y. of experience training dogs in obedience and personal protection. I have been training in military sports with working dogs for 3 years and was a member of the Estoni...
Views: 986   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 25, 2006 4:52pm
by Jelena
War Dog Support
My name is Andrea Harmon and I am the Texas Branch Director for a non-profit organization called Give2TheTroops. Our organization raises money to put together care packages to be shipped to men and women deployed in combat zones. On our website is a list of suggest...
Views: 1046   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 24, 2006 7:20pm
by Andrea Harmon
My son wants info.
Hello, My son Michael is 9 1/2years old and wants to work with the K-9 in the military when he grows up. His Uncle was in Vietnam and now he has one uncle and a cousin in Irac. So I keep him up dated on them. Also my kids will be sending a care package to the K-9 uni...
Views: 956   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 22, 2006 7:28am
by Mike [Chicken Ha...
m
Matt
Celebrate Sacrifice....Honor Our Heroes Festival-- Sept 9th
Honor our Heroes Festival – Celebrate Sacrifice Honoring those who risk their lives to serve us. As the anniversary of the World Trade Center disaster nears, people in the Lee’s Summit area reach out to salute local heroes. You’re invited t...
Views: 881   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 29, 2006 8:03pm
by Matt
Contact
Hi, Can I have one of the officers of the association contact me. Its concerning the official military awards for the dogs. MCSKENNY@aol.com Sincerely, Cheryl Kenny
Views: 960   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 5:04pm
by Cheryl Kenny
Life after Service
I was just wondering what happens to our dog soldiers after their service is no longer needed? I would hope that these guys would get to come home as well. Forgive me if this has already been addressed somewhere. Thanks.
Views: 1059   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 30, 2006 10:04am
by Andrea Scearce
K9 war dogs in Iraq
As a military wife, I know first hand how happy we are when our loved ones come back from deployments. However, I was told yesterday that our K9 troops are not allowed to come back from service in Iraq. If this is true, I would love to know why and what they do with...
Views: 895   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 30, 2006 10:01am
by Andrea Scearce
Need to find a home for German Shepherd dog
Any person interested in adopting a 6 year old,black and white German Shepherd dog please email me at Wheat111@comcast.net.
Views: 1067   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2006 10:15am
by joann rickards
s
Shelby
Specific War Dog breeds
Just a question for anyone who might know: What is the primary reason the military no longer uses Dobermans for War Dogs?
Views: 1069   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 25, 2006 10:24pm
by Rod Butts
Prince 776A
I sent a German Shepherd to Lackland AFB sometime between 1968 and 1970 (don't have his records anymore). I do know he was supposed to be trained as a sentry dog, and that if he failed the testing, he was to be returned to me. I have often wondered if he was one of...
Views: 939   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 9, 2006 6:58pm
by Linda Brewster
Dedication Plaque
I am a resident at the V.A. in North Chicago and am a Vietnam Era Veteran.and I am appaled that the director had the staff take down a Memorial Plaque that was givin in honor of the first police dog at the V.A. this dog not only did his job and was considered a Polic...
Views: 1052   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 16, 2006 6:58am
by John Salvatore
Memorail Removal North Chicago VA Facility
Greetings to all on this forum. I am new to the forum but not new to War Dog Association. I am reaching out to a group of individuals here on this board who can direct me in an appropriate manner in which to have a memorial rememberence plaque restored back on the...
Views: 884   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2006 9:19am
by Linda (schutzhun...
r
Rick
Memorial Service
I was wondering if anyone knows the MWD Memorial service protocol. I.E. Steps during the service, like what everything represents for the kennel display, things of that nature. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Views: 943   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 3, 2006 3:11am
by Rick
s
Sam
WW2 K-9 Hand Signals
Im looking for any information about hand signals taught to the K-9's in the ETO. Any any info about the 33rd QMC and what gear was used for the dogs. THanks!
Views: 929   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 17, 2006 6:44pm
by Sam
Looking for anyone who knew George Douglas "Doug" Deitrick
I am looking for pictures of my dad and his dog. He was I beleive in the 41st infantry. There is a war dog memorial being built in Antioch CA that is dedicated to my father and they would like a picture with him and his dog but we have not found any. Please if anyone...
Views: 997   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2006 10:30pm
by Annita Deitrick
Dedication date for the U S War Dogs Memorial
The following date has been set for the the Dedication of the United States War Dogs Memorial, State of New Jersey. June 10, 2006 11:00 AM Location: Vietnam Veterans Memorial Holmdel, New Jersey. for further infomation call me at 609-747-9340. Hope to see...
Views: 980   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 5, 2006 8:18pm
by Ron Aiello
Father's dog in Aleutian Island War Dog or Pet?
Hi, I have been working on my family tree and as I was watching a movie the other day it talked about a WAR DOG Training program. It made me start to think about my father (Charles Tholey), who past away nine years ago. He was stationed in the Aleutian Islands d...
Views: 880   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 23, 2006 9:16am
by Perry C. Money
j
Jayne
Need to find my dog
Hello I need help my dog was taken and the doggie medium said she is in texas with someone from the airforce or army she gave me a plate number GSA 799 I have no idea how to find her she is a small german shepherd female red and black she is microchipped and was t...
Views: 1112   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 19, 2006 10:33am
by Jayne
Alabama War Dogs Monument
I'm working as advisor on a board here in Birmingham Alabama that is building an "Alabama War Dogs Monument" here in the Birmingham Alabama Area. I arranged for Governor Bob Reilly to sign a proclamation declaring November 18th as Alabama War Dog Team Day. But I...
Views: 929   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2006 5:10am
by Bill Wigginton
Marine handler KIA
Marine dog handlers in Iraq mourn death of colleague Sgt. Adam L. Cann killed in suicide blast in Ramadi By Monte Morin, Stars and Stripes Mideast edition, Monday, January 9, 2006 Courtesy of Joseph Manning Marine Sgt. Adam L. Cann, who was killed in...
Views: 1377   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 10, 2006 4:39pm
by Wardog72
Locating WWII USMC Dog handlers?????
In as much as my older Brother has no computer i am taking the liberty of adding him to your message list in hopes some of his War dog fellow Warriors will get in touch??? i'll leave his address at: Grand Bay Ct. Chincoteaqgue Island Va. 23336; He was then PFC Pe...
Views: 1015   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2006 12:28pm
by Frederic Louquet
p
Peg
Veterinary records for former K-9 dogs
Hello, A group of my friends were K-9 handlers at the now closed Hahn Air Base, Germany. We are wondering if there is anyway to access the old K-9 veterinary records from the time period of 1961 to 1964. Does anyone know where such records might be kept, or how...
Views: 980   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 18, 2006 2:35pm
by Wardog72
info on Rhodesian Ridgebacks in the service
I am doing a series of articles on Rhodesian Ridgebacks as service dogs for The Ridgeback magazine. I have been told that RRs are one of the favorite breeds for homeland security and other military uses. I hadn't heard this before, but it does make sense that they...
Views: 917   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 18, 2006 2:31pm
by Wardog72
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9