Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Spotted the mayor, the honorable Telesphore Boudreaux
What a great resource! Great answer by Zee Mayor on the top five tunes to know. And Pam-san, please check my reply in the same thread, so you know I recommended the tunes Marc played. My top five? Sea Cruise Things I used To Do Mendocino Anything by Steve E...
Views: 415   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2008 11:31pm
by Tom Quinn
Festival International de Louisiane Schedule
The 22nd Festival International de Louisiane will be held April 23-27, 2008 in Lafayette, LA. See the schedule here: Festival Schedule What a great festival this is. Dowell Lafleur
Views: 528   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 24, 2008 11:04pm
by Jamey Hall
Musique le Boucherie 2008, Lanse Gris, LA
Click link #2 for a couple of tunes I captured at Bryan Lafleur's annual family boucherie in Lanse Gris, LA, last samedi après midi, 1/19/08. I recorded them on my Edirol while holding on to a cold Miller Lite in one hand and squinting at a pig spinning round an...
Views: 834   Replies: 19
Last Post: Jan 24, 2008 3:37pm
by Bruce Weeks
Stuck open note
I've got a note that's sounding when no button is depressed. It's not too bad, it's only very slowly driving me crazy. It's either the fourth button down or the eighth button down (counting from chin-side to foot-side - BTW is there a generally accepted way to talk...
Views: 389   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 24, 2008 4:07am
by Jim Pettijohn
Little Chenier
I just drove from Thibodaux, LA. to Morgan City LA. to watch a so called movie. I have never seen anything as bad as that. The plot-there wasn't one-if you want to call it one then try infantile. I don't understand why movies about Cajun people are always about un...
Views: 407   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 23, 2008 7:34pm
by Jerry L. Moody
Which Cajun Accordian to buy
I recently traded for a Hohner Panther and have enjoyed playing around on it for a few days, but would like to get a cajun sound. Which instrument should I buy? Also, need suggestions on beginning instructional DVD. I have the Evo Bluestein DVD, but would like som...
Views: 741   Replies: 26
Last Post: Jan 23, 2008 6:29pm
by Maz- Acadien du ...
c
claude
Guitar players available
Anybody looking for axe players?
Views: 453   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 23, 2008 6:08pm
by John Fine
Thoughts on John Fine -Thread Author
John creates a lot of good discussions. Thanks John! It's been a while since I posted one, so ... here 'tis! Okay, I'll write something. I just got a really cool piece of equipment. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I believe it's going to work out qui...
Views: 522   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 9:12pm
by Russ Roberts
Interesting...
...how does one then get music from a CD to an iPod?...the software included with my iPod requires 'ripping' the CD to a computer file - then it updates the iPod... ...and they wonder why sales are on the decline....
Views: 645   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 2, 2008 10:25am
by John Fine
a
Andy W
Base buttons wrong side on this box?!
Spotted this box on ebay. Looks like someone has put it back together the wrong way? Or maybe someone knows something I don't?! Regards Andy W
Views: 636   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 1:15am
by dwight
Cajun accordion cases?
Any recommendations? I've got an accordion on the way (more on that later - I don't want to jinx it), but it doesn't come with a case. I talked to Marc Savoy, and he has hard cases for $100 (I think) and $75 for a soft case. With piano accordions I much prefer sof...
Views: 1148   Replies: 27
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 6:56pm
by John
d
dwight
Any cajun musicians in the Memphis area?
I'm considering other places to live in the next few years, besides the expensive Bay Area. One area that seems to have enough of the work I do is Memphis. However, I hate to give up jamming by moving there. Any other musicians from the area? Dwight
Views: 424   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 6, 2008 6:28pm
by dwight
My first Cajun accordion has arrived!
I found and bought a used Acadian in C, and it's beautiful! I think it is curly maple with a walnut stain, though I'm certainly no expert on this. Question: The stops seem to be strictly decorative. Is this common? Does it lessen the value of the accordion? W...
Views: 612   Replies: 24
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 3:06pm
by nout
Guitar Style Preferences for accordionists, and interesting connections
Accordionists - do you like playing against the "open style" guitar techinique (brushing back and forth eighth notes on open chords with a 'tit fer kind of rhythm), or the "closed style" (bar chords on quarter notes; alternate beats damped)? I'm kind of my own gui...
Views: 612   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 4:34pm
by larry english
d
dwight
Just got back from my Lafayette stint
Just spent a week in Lafayette. New Years Eve seems to be a big deal there, but I met mostly people from out of town. Was hoping to connect with locals. Hit the jams at Savoy Music Center and in Breaux Bridge. Saw John Romano at both of them. He cut his hair,...
Views: 530   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 13, 2008 12:18pm
by John Romano
j
JB
La Pointe aux Pins
On the song 'Tit Galop pour la Pointe aux Pins', Adam Hebert sings: 'La plus vielle de la bande, elle est la plus vaillante, mais la plus mignonne, elle a les yeau canailles. Mais dit pas a ta Mam que j'ai goutte ton bec. Mais dis pas a ton pap que j'avais pas...
Views: 2117   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 6:55pm
by Nick
Thoughts for a potential next accordion.
I'm sitting here this morning pondering the next accordion. It will definately be a Martin in F, tuned 10 cents wet. My Martin in E is probably the nicest sounding accordion I've ever touched. I can imagine an F would be really nice. I'll hopefully be in the ma...
Views: 552   Replies: 28
Last Post: Jan 15, 2008 12:03am
by Jim Pettijohn
Any jam sessions in the Oakland area in the near future??
Hey Braves, I'm going to be in the Oakland area for a spell and would like to play with you guys out there....I'll bring my fiddles, but can't bring my accordions this time. Blair...Steve....??? See ya, Kirk Jones
Views: 578   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 12, 2008 10:18am
by Blair
e
Ed
A little different-Bobby Gardiner
I know its not Cajun, but thought some of you may like to see the Irish play a one row accordion. Happy New year Everyone.... Ed
Views: 604   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 6:52pm
by Nick
HHHEELLLPPP ME!!!!!!
I searching for pics etc. of Ambrose Thibodeaux i work on my new website for my band Remember Ambrose! together with Jimmy Thibodeaux cause he lost all pics in the flood. plz help me and him thnx all and a happy new year Fabian
Views: 435   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 10:44am
by lecajun
When does a reed get tired of being tuned?
It occured to me that when I first started tuning reeds, it took a lot of trial and error. However, I quickly learned how to properly do it, I still had shaved some of them a few times in the beginning. How can you tell a reed is on it's last leg, so to speak
Views: 468   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 6:51pm
by Nick
Ambrose Thibodeaux CDs?
Hello - Does anyone know if there were ever any CDs made of 'Nonc' Ambrose's recordings? All I've ever been able to find are vinyl records, and being deployed to Iraq I can't enjoy the family record player. Tried Floyd's but nothing at all on him. Thanks, Matt
Views: 430   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 6:54pm
by Nick
Awesome martin in C on ebay
Looks like a great box, unfortunately a little out of my price range.
Views: 521   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 5:47pm
by Glenn
Fats-ology
I am doing a little musicology project with some students on cross cultural transfers and the influence of African American music on American music & pop culture. I just read "Blue Monday-Fats Domino and the Lost Dawn of Rock & Roll " by Rick Coleman. A gread read...
Views: 517   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 6:50pm
by John
b
BJ
Uh,oh - that warranty thing again.
I've no wish to aggravate anyone's ulcers, but I have to make another reference to the Bon Cajun warranty notice. Actually, it's a question that stands alone, warranty or not. Point number 2 says ' Avoid playing at the (sea) beach because salty damp air can rust...
Views: 470   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 17, 2008 11:52am
by BJ
p
Pam
How to join this forum?
Hello! Is there a way to 'join' or subscribe to this forum? or is it just open to all? Thank you! Pam
Views: 371   Replies: 8
by Nick
j
JB
Amplifier Help
I am thinking about buying an Evans E200 Keyboard Amplifier from my cousin, who is a steel guitar player. It has never been used except for one gig, and when I hooked it up to my clip-on Sennheiser mic, it made my Le Capitaine sound Much-o Loud-o. He wants $650.00....
Views: 455   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 18, 2008 12:28pm
by Rick Reid
Little Chenier
Looks like the long-awaited movie, "Little Chenier" is being released Jan. 18th all across S. Louisiana and Mississippi. It took longer to complete due to the set destruction from Katrina and Rita. But, after all the "setbacks", it's scheduled release is next weekend...
Views: 625   Replies: 22
by John
2008 - Who is going? Balfa Heritage & Augusta Heritage weeks!!
Hello 'kordine players (and everyone else too!) Last year, I missed everything! I hope to avoid a repeat performance in '08 by making my commitments now! So, who-all is thinking about attending the now internationally famous Balfa Heritage & Augusta Heri...
Views: 527   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 16, 2008 2:55pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
w
WF
Cajun Squeezebox Shootout Accordion Championship
Imagine getting $500 to play the accordion noon Feb. 2 at the Strand Theatre in Jennings http://www.timesofacadiana.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080116/NEWS01/801160315 WF
Views: 796   Replies: 3
by John
Hey, I know this is an accordion forum...but
I've got it in my head to buy another guitar (I owned a decent 1970 Yamaha FG300 10 years ago). I could spend up to 1K? Pawnshops and ebay can be a good source, but you need to know what you are looking at and not be in a hurry. Probably like a OO size rather than...
Views: 667   Replies: 25
by John
d
Darryl
Richard Hot Step
Just finished watching a video download courtesy of KBON Radio of The Liberty Theatre, Eunice, Lousiana " Rendez Vous Des Cajuns " Show featuring Joe Hall and Robert Jardell. Joe Hall ( who I think is a really good accordion player and one who plays in a Creole/Ca...
Views: 521   Replies: 10
by John
another idea for a [hard] case is an LP case
another idea for a [hard] case is an LP case sold for DJs guitar center has them on sale sometimes for as little as $19.99 they are very strong the lids come off [both a plus and a minus] slightly bigger than a 1 row box best to add some foam rubbe...
Views: 477   Replies: 7
by Nick
Case for two accordions
I use this kind of case.
Views: 472   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2008 2:01pm
by J.Helin
Dancing in the park and guitars
I was in one of Austin's parks this weekend and saw the strangest sight. A couple was waltzing cajun style with no music playing. I got closer and it seems they had an ipod, each with an earbud in one ear, all in their own private world. Didn't disturb them and ask...
Views: 477   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 17, 2008 7:55pm
by JB
r
Rusty
Maruice Jam Session
Well, I went to a jam session at Touchet's in Maurice, LA this afternoon and had an awesome time. It happens every other Saturday and it's an all "French" jam... in other words, don't show up and try to sing a song in English, they'll shut you down real quick ! Not...
Views: 514   Replies: 6
by Nick
Accordion Festival Dieppe (Moncton), New Brunswick, July 16-20
Last year took place the first edition of a new accordion fest in Memramcook, New Brunswick (Atlantic Canada). This year, the second edition will be held nearby in Dieppe, which is part of the great Moncton area, south east of New Brunswick. If you think you'll be ar...
Views: 421   Replies: 1
by Nick
n
neal
OT: Cheap Eats in and around Lafayette
Nice little story in the IND online, link 1. They left out Chris's Poboys, which is on Ambassador Caffery in a strange store that's combination gas station/wine and cigar shop. Their roast pork poboys are my favorite in the area. And of course Dwight's for barbecu...
Views: 515   Replies: 11
by Nick
Chris Ardoin - V.I.P.
I know there's not a lot of zydeco mavens on this board, but I picked up Chris' V.I.P. disc in Eunice last Saturday. I'm not understanding the smooth R&B lounge-type zydeco that seems to be the in-thing with Chris, Keith, and J.Paul? I love the hip-hop stuff mixed wi...
Views: 450   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 5:49pm
by Johnny Ace
Cajun Dance & Music Weekend, Dodgeville WI
I am thinking about attending this event, but all I really know is that it's March 14-16. Did anyone attend this last year, perhaps you could let me know how you liked it. Also I am looking for a ride from Chicago to the event, any chance to carpool with someone?
Views: 418   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 4:31pm
by Big Nick
Lyrics for Duralde Waltz? Here's the youtube clip
Awesome interpretation of Eddie Lejeune. Anyone has the lyrics for it?
Views: 525   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 12:36pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Slightly off topic, but I had to share these
heheh... such nice melodies
Views: 467   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 21, 2008 5:44am
by Jim Pettijohn
Update on my guitar search.
I've tried Art & Lutherie, Norman, Seagull, Blueridge, Johnson "Carolina", lower end Martins,and a few others both new and used... then I found a prize at a local pawn-shop: a like-new Epiphone Masterbuilt 500-DRS, with the "Masterbuilt" hard case (hygrometer inside)...
Views: 745   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 20, 2008 11:07pm
by Rick Reid
s
Saanen
Nice article about Jeffery Broussard today...
Herman Fuselier wrote a nice article about Jeffery Broussard & The Creole Cowboys today in the Daily World and Daily Advertiser. See link #3 above
Views: 409   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 20, 2008 4:36pm
by Saanen
Hip Hop Zyderock - Travis Matte's upcoming CD!
Travis Matte is releasing a new CD in the next few weeks! He sent me the title track today and it's like nothing *anyone* has ever heard before! I think some the Acadiana stations are already playing the promo title track. Travis is a genius! For the anti-panty crowd...
Views: 487   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 20, 2008 10:46am
by jeana matte
h
Hal
Cajun favorites for the mountain dulcimer
Somewhat off topic perhaps... maybe lagniappe? But I stumbled on this while looking for sheet music. Living out of culture and having a poor ear for learning tunes without music, I thought this would be nice. It is. A great many Cajun favorites, and some wonderf...
Views: 431   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 19, 2008 8:48pm
by Ed
heavy metal cajun and 'mamou'
actually i may have mis-stated something the cd by 'mamou' that i have is actually their debut recording, called simply 'mamou' that one is defiinitely loud guitars, electric everything, but a fair number of traditional songs it;s not bad interesting...
Views: 429   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 15, 2008 9:36pm
by Harlan johnson
heading for Lafayette
I'll be in and around Lafayette for Mardi Gras, trying to get in as much as possible, between 1/31 and 2/6. The Church Point parade is a must for me, and a couple nights at the Blue Moon. Would look forward to meeting, and putting a face on, other Braves while there....
Views: 457   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 15, 2008 11:39am
by steve from Jerse...
Quebequois box for sale
What do you think of this box for sale at Buttonbox? see links #2 and #3. Made in Quebec by a guy named Caron. D tuned, equal (not dry "just"). The stop knobs are non-functional. Probably a very nice box for Quebequois or Irish.
Views: 640   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 15, 2008 10:10am
by John Roger
r
Rusty
Duson Waltz
Hey Neal, do you know of any place that I can get a copy of the Duson Waltz on CD. The one that I have from your site only plays on one side of my stereo which is definitely better than none! This song is almost haunting the way he plays it, and I'd love to have a...
Views: 499   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 14, 2008 9:47pm
by Rusty
Our "fiddling" Premier of Nova Scotia to David Letterman
Check this out... We have a pretty cool Premier here. :-)
Views: 531   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 14, 2008 9:26pm
by Harlan johnson
n
nout
French Lessons
French Lessons given in the UK, and not only for the ladies ......... regs
Views: 401   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 14, 2008 11:54am
by nout
new memeber on yuotube
Take a look at link#2 for some movies where Brett is playing the Cajun accordion.
Views: 481   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 12, 2008 8:02pm
by Toby
My accordion sounds great today -- Is it because Hillary cried?
Seriously. Think about it -- Hillary cries...then suddenly my C box sounds better than ever! Coincidence? Ha! Mercy, I need a break from all this political b.s. It's times like these that I'm glad there are accordion and guitar boards on the web. Geno is pl...
Views: 587   Replies: 19
Last Post: Jan 12, 2008 5:08pm
by dwight
Edirol check
Ganey and those interested in the quality of the Roland Edirol R-09 digital recorder -- here ya go. Click link #2 above. The quality of recording is remarkable. R!CK
Views: 434   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 12, 2008 12:10am
by Darryl
r
Rusty
H3
Here is number three in the links above, this will be the last one that I post. I really enjoy seeing different accordions but I don't feel it's kosher for me to continue posting pictures on the board, I don't want it to come across as me advertising !
Views: 664   Replies: 23
Last Post: Jan 10, 2008 7:38pm
by Greg in KC
n
neal
Photos of 78s on record labels
I hope link 1 works. If not just go to Yahoo Groups and look for Cajun Music Recordings, then the link to photos. Among the Post-World War II labels, the Khourys, Folkstar, Feature, and Macy's were from John Khoury and the Belles from Lyle Ferbrache. Among the Pre...
Views: 456   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 10, 2008 2:02pm
by neal
Just moved to New Orleans: go to Lafayette to buy accordion?
I just moved down to New Orleans, and should be able to get set up with the Naval Reserve Activity and employed until June or so. While I'm here, I'd like to learn some squeezebox. Is there any (diatonic) accordion opportunity in this city, or is it all out in th...
Views: 382   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 9, 2008 10:03pm
by wingingit
Coz at the Saturday morning jam...
Got to visit with Coz for a while, this morning. He is in good spirits and feeling the love. I heard several people comment to him about losing everything, and each time, he responded that he was glad to be alive. He played only one song on the accordion, but sang...
Views: 450   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 7:15pm
by Ganey Arsement
g
gus
for Maz: Marcel Messervier
And of course for others who are interested in Quebec style accordion. A recent (and only) video of Messervier and his accordions. #1 It is a pity that there are not more music samples than the one you hear. And if you like the soirees Quebecais, see #2 and other...
Views: 399   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 5:02pm
by gus
w
WF
CADG Member Map
(reposted from below) See the Google CADG Map Not listed? Reply with city, state, country. I'll add you to the map. WF
Views: 792   Replies: 41
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 10:45am
by Rob Krumm
Coz Fontenot - Lundi Gras
not sure how much of this is current info but coz has/had a recording http://www.charliegillett.com/playlist.php?date=17April04 Coz Fontenot - Lundi Gras www.louisianacajun.com/msg/Louisiana-Cajun-Forum-Messages.asp?fid=202&page=8 - 61k - === hi...
Views: 649   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2008 6:46am
by bryan lafleur
Congratulations Tigers!
Our Bayou Boys done showed them Yankees up one mo' time! This Razorback was sure glad to see it. Hold that Tiger!
Views: 318   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 11:50pm
by Jamey Hall
Views: 476   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 10:13pm
by sambeaux
g
gus
Soileau & Lafleur
Falcon was the first to record, but those 2 were not far behind. Somebody gave them their own blog(!?) on myspace, see link #1. Dunno who it was, but he done a good job . Hope you like it too. Gus
Views: 416   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 4:59pm
by neal
w
WF
Illinois creole?...Dennis Stroughmatt and L'Esprit Créole
Not sure what Illinois creole is. However here is some of that music by fiddle player Dennis Stroughmatt and L'Esprit Créole. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0hBkRSScFc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTntkVUxN0 WF
Views: 499   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 4:25pm
by Rob Krumm
j
JB
Slow-Down & Pitch-Change Software
I know this is a re-hash of an old topic, but does anyone have a suggestion on really good,easy to use, free-download, low-memory space software that a simple farm boy can use to help more better learn how to play our favorite instrument. Something that you can easil...
Views: 404   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 7, 2008 2:54pm
by Ron v D
Another video clip of my band.
Okay, I got another video clip on YouTube. I hope somebody somewhere likes it. -Jamey
Views: 389   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 6, 2008 6:53pm
by Rick Reid
O.T. Gotta have this CD...
New one by Levon Helm from The Band. "Dirt Farmer" is a great CD, with terrific fiddle and some accordion. This is one of the best pieces of music I've heard in a long time. Five stars, check it out...
Views: 586   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 6, 2008 11:57am
by gus
Box on Ebay
Need some help Braves. Can ya'll take a look at this box and tell what kind it is? Possibly good for a beginner box?
Views: 492   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 5, 2008 4:47pm
by Atlcajun
j
JB
Great South Texas Dance Band
The guys shown on the web site on link # 1 have been around for a long time, and my wife and I have been dancing to their music for years. Hell, why not, we're related to most of 'em! Some of you may already know Gary Trial; he and the lovely Suzie have been going to...
Views: 315   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 5, 2008 4:09pm
by JB
I was on TV to show my accordions last summer - Clip on YouTube!
Last summer, I was contacted to be part of a cross-country show that features French Canadians throughout the country (outside Quebec) who share their passion. A TV crew came to my place in Halifax and filmed me for several hours. Here's the final cut that went on t...
Views: 522   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jan 5, 2008 1:46pm
by gus
Do you ever play with some of the stops closed?
I was playing some christmas songs last night and some of them just sounded better with only one middle reed open. That sweet clarinet reed (binci of course) sounded so nice in the quiet room. I've tried a number of combinations and they all sound at least OK. I real...
Views: 742   Replies: 26
Last Post: Jan 4, 2008 9:38pm
by Harry
Bruce: Nice job on that Hohner ha114 conversion!
Very good job. Are the dimensions of these parts the same as what you'd find on a regular Bon Cajun box?
Views: 484   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 4, 2008 2:13pm
by Jim Pettijohn
Back from Lafayette
And I've got to say, that's about the best time I've ever had - while sick! Yup, on the way down, somewhere around Bastrop, I started feeling funky; by Alexandria, I knew something was definitely wrong; by Lafayette I was full blown fevery and nasty-feeling. Blah!...
Views: 527   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 4, 2008 10:07am
by John Fine
Does this bug anyone other than me?
I may step on some toes here, but it really bugs me when a cajun builder can not get the end screws (the ones at the top and bottom that you unscrew to service the accordion)exactly in the center. I have seen the finishing washers for the screws either too high (sti...
Views: 701   Replies: 40
Last Post: Jan 3, 2008 4:08pm
by John Roger
Why do we post on this message board?
I, for one, enjoy this message board. In seven years of participating, I have stopped posting a couple of times, but have always read the threads. I like answering questions that are specific to playing the accordion, sharing stories about growing up here in Louisian...
Views: 640   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jan 3, 2008 11:29am
by Griff
m
MarkS
Hey JB from San Antonio
Hey JB, I wonder, if I can talk to you about San Antonio? I am going to make a trip there with my wife and grandson when he gets out of school. Need some suggestion on where to stay, don't want to book a hotel and not know what kind of neighborhood I am in. Just...
Views: 500   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 3, 2008 10:20am
by John Fine
Yo! Noncster!!! Sacto content...
Sorry to take bandwidth, but a message to Non Dave... :- ) Hey boss I'll be back to Sacramento in March to work, sell the house etc... Things are fine with Yoko and I, but I need to get out from under the mortgage on the house. Funny, but I was watching tha...
Views: 458   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2008 8:48pm
by Tom Quinn
n
nout
accordion canadian style
just incase you're missing out some notes on a one row ..... http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6ZAdyP-q8&feature=related
Views: 412   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 2, 2008 2:54pm
by henry
Electric Accordion
Just curious, has anyone tried the electric accordion at link#1? Seem like a lot of possibilities for all genre.
Views: 489   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jan 2, 2008 10:05am
by T-Roget
AMT condenser mic
Hey all, I ran across this mic when I was looking at Jeff Coffin's (the Flecktones) gear list. Have any of you ever seen or used one of these things on an accordion? I'm a little curious to see if the sound quality is comparable to that of a Shure or Audio Technic...
Views: 532   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 1, 2008 2:16pm
by Mike M. Las Veg...
Nice clip of Savoy family on Youtube
Thanks to Eric Breaux, there are a few more nice clips on Youtube. Get the first up here (link #1). From there, there a short one showing Bonsoir Catin and several other musicians (Balfa Toujours, etc.).
Views: 520   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 31, 2007 4:04am
by gus
lyrics
Does anyone have lyrics for Le valse de crowley?
Views: 517   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 30, 2007 3:24pm
by Maz- Acadien du ...
Where to get accordion tuned?
I've got a Hohner pre-Corso (MMM on treble side) that is in need of tuning. One guy here in Austin quotes $500!!!! I think he wants to remove the reeds and clean them and re-wax etc. Hell, I can get a complete set of new reeds put in for just a bit more. Irish Dancem...
Views: 537   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 29, 2007 11:24pm
by John Fine
Coz Fontenot benefit
An update to Brian's post about Coz losing everything in a fire.A benefit is in the planning stages right now. They haven't announced a date or location yet but the Pine Leaf Boys and Steve Riley are signed up to perform. Should be a good show for a good cause. I'll...
Views: 557   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 29, 2007 5:12pm
by larry english
Looking for a beginner
Hey everybody, I am looking for a good beginner accordion on key of C. Wondering of anybody has one they are willing to part with. Josh
Views: 510   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 29, 2007 11:46am
by larry english
Final recording from 2007
Ok, so this is my last recording from '07. I recorded it on one of my beautiful handmades. Oh, oh no... I didn't record it with a Castagnari, King Cajun or a Weltmeister, how taboo can I get? And gosh darnit, I think I saw a tiny nick in one of the inl...
Views: 438   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 28, 2007 5:45pm
by Jim Pettijohn
Oregon Players
Checking to see if their are players or bands in or around Bend Oregon Thanks
Views: 501   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 28, 2007 4:54pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Coz Fontenot bad luck
Some folks may know Coz Fontentot, especially if you have been to any SW Louisiana jams. A very nice guy, a great singer and harmonica player, as well as fiddle and accordion. His house burned up this holiday season. There is a donation link (#3) set up on the PLB...
Views: 590   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 28, 2007 4:37pm
by Jeff Hildreth
t
Tweed
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas Cajuns! I still have not mastered my el cheapo ten button yet, but have figured this out somewhat, (on a little hohner piano type)to bring to the table for Christmas. Silent Night ala Tweed They get on me over at my board for still trying to...
Views: 453   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 28, 2007 11:04am
by Rusty
d
Don
Views: 618   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 26, 2007 9:36pm
by Andy
Les Cajun Voyageurs
Never heard of the players besides Bobby Michot, but I like 'em.
Views: 502   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 26, 2007 3:03pm
by Dowell Lafleur
Weltmeister and Excelsior brands
While perusing The Button Box inventory list (http://www.buttonbox.com/stocklist.html) I noticed a couple of Cajun style accordions I hadn't heard any feedback about: Weltmeister and Excelsior. Neither look to be made in China. Anyone had any experience with these?...
Views: 552   Replies: 27
Last Post: Dec 26, 2007 1:51pm
by John Fine
Where do you find a "student/child" diatonic accordion?
I've been searching for an entry level "student" diatonic accordion for my god daughter who will be turning 7 this spring. The $20 plastic accordion toy won't cut it, while the Ariette-Type is too pricy and too big and heavy for a child... I have found the equivalen...
Views: 531   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 26, 2007 1:11pm
by Ron A.
g
gus
talkin' 'bout piano(accordion)
I know the music in link #1 is not zydeco, but is there any relation or direct influence? In fact it is not so far to New Orleans. And is it also performed on the (piano)accordion? Gus
Views: 417   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 24, 2007 8:45pm
by Jamey Hall
w
WF
CADG Members: Where are you from?
List city, state, country. Later, i'll post a map showing all members globally. Lafayette, LA, USA WF
Views: 673   Replies: 45
Last Post: Dec 24, 2007 5:47am
by craig
Help needed to find a piano accordion for a friend!
Hi Braves, One of my colleagues is looking for a piano accordion for his father-in-law for Christmas. His budget is maximum $800 all in. At this point, I'm not sure he would consider pre-own. Assuming new, what would you recommend in that price range for a Piano ac...
Views: 449   Replies: 21
Last Post: Dec 23, 2007 9:07pm
by Jeff Hildreth
My band on TV
We recorded a few songs and interviews for a local TV show called "Front Row". I sheepishly unveil one song (the only one they've posted 'til yet) now - since it's Christmas, I figure you're all in a generous and kindly Holiday spirit. It ain't Cajun and it ain't...
Views: 433   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 23, 2007 7:47pm
by Joe D
Help for lyrics..
Anyone has the lyrics for this beautiful song interpreted by Jeffrey Broussard & the Cowboys Creole(Richest Man - if teardrops were diamonds)? Link 1 above.
Views: 303   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 23, 2007 6:38pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
h
Hal
Well, will ya look at that?
Take a look at the map of braves posters if you haven't in awhile. Cajun accordions popping up all over the world. Ooo-ee. Ain't that somethin'? It simply amazes me, the power of the Internet, to bring together a group of people who share common interests to exch...
Views: 550   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 23, 2007 5:28pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
Merry Christmas To All!
I want to wish everyone a ********* Merry Yuletide, full of eggnog, family, friends, warmth, and good times. I also want to thank everyone here for what they do, which is provide help to the confused, information to the curious, laughs to the smart-aleks, and most o...
Views: 426   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 23, 2007 2:46pm
by Griff
Les Freres Balfa dessu le Youtube
Link #3, I havent seen this one before. That song sets the bar on my frisson(goosebumps) scale for cajun music.
Views: 486   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 22, 2007 5:45pm
by John Fine
help for lyrics
i`m seaching for the lyrics of the duralde waltz -la valse de duralde from edddie lejeune cause they re not the same like iry lejeune plz help me thnx fabian
Views: 281   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 22, 2007 5:44pm
by le cajun
Gala on our school
Last wednesday we had a gig at a party on the school were I and our guitarplayer are working. The party was the yearly Christmas Bal with all the kids dressed in Gala-outfit. A few months ago some kids ask me if we want to play on the party, because they had hear us...
Views: 385   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 22, 2007 2:05pm
by Ron v D
which song did you learn the quickest?
I started listening to "Les Tracas de Todd Balfa" about two weeks ago, just listening. even when i was not playing the cd, the song was still in my head. This evening i put the cd on, grabbed the box, and after a very short search i was playing along.... It fel...
Views: 515   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 22, 2007 6:04am
by Wilfred
w
WF
Book: One Generation at a Time: Biography of a Cajun and Creole Music Festival
A good gift for those looking to offer something new. See an article written: http://www.timesofacadiana.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071219/NEWS01/712190313 Here's another; http://www.theind.com/cover2.asp?CID=129292252 See also on Amazon: http://www...
Views: 455   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 21, 2007 8:23pm
by Jack Bond
Our Christmas Video!
Hi all, I wanted to share our Christmas video that we made to thank our clients for all the business they give us through out the year. (See web link #1 above) We did the first one last year and it was a great success, so now we're doing it every year. L...
Views: 460   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 21, 2007 3:27pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Wooden buttons
Just curious. I've got ebony buttons on my 'D' box. I love 'em. I know back in the day, wooden buttons were on quite a few accordions. Wondered if anybody still uses them, if they like them, and why you don't see that any more. I know the down side of maple would be...
Views: 516   Replies: 13
Last Post: Dec 21, 2007 1:54pm
by claude
Goin' to Lafayette!
My wife and are crossing our fingers and hoping to sneak down childless to Lafayette the day after Christmas for some Momma/Daddy time. I see Cajun Jam night at the Blue Moon and Lafayette Rhythm Devils at Randol's are happening on Wednesday night. I also saw Steve...
Views: 551   Replies: 13
Last Post: Dec 20, 2007 2:28pm
by Jamey Hall
Where to stay in Lafayette?
I want cheap and clean. So far, my wife likes the Jameson Inn (sp?) @ $75/night. Thanks, Jamey
Views: 418   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 19, 2007 6:52pm
by Joe D
Piano accordions for sale
If I'm gonna start this new addiction off on the right foot, I'm gonna need some moola to buy a good used Cajun accordion. That means I have to sell some of my piano accordions. I've got three in mind that are in good to excellent condition. One is a La Sonora,...
Views: 365   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 19, 2007 6:20pm
by Jamey Hall
d
Darryl
Fernest Arceneaux Accordion and More
http://www.lsue.edu/acadgate/music/farceneaux.htm I was reviewing some Fernest Arceneaux material and found these details on David Simpsons web site shown above. Does anyone know what accordion he's playing?( can't decipher the name in the photos ). Are they...
Views: 561   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 19, 2007 5:06pm
by Darryl
Cedric and Wison Viens me Chercher
Wilson and Cedric playing Viens me Chercher in France.
Views: 514   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 19, 2007 4:29pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
d
Don
Hohner HA114 Bass Spoon broke!
Hello All; Well, Here I was merrily playing along on my Hohner HA114 when the bass chord spoon broke loose - or at least the spring must have. Now the spoon just flops around. Soooo, what do I do now in regards to getting it fixed? Does anyone do bass box conversi...
Views: 705   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 19, 2007 5:04am
by CajunSwede
1st time buyers choice: Martin D or Acadien C?
I'm looking at a couple of used Cajun boxes, both in excellent shape. The Martin D is $150 cheaper than the Acadien C; both are in great shape. I'm a beginner, though I do play the piano accordion (not particularly well). Which way would you go? Thanks, Jamey...
Views: 517   Replies: 22
Last Post: Dec 18, 2007 7:49pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Danny Poullard the great teacher...
When I came back to California in 2000 to work for a while, I brought my then-recent passion for Cajun/Creole music with me. I was so fortunate to spend a handful of times listening to, and playing with Danny Poullard at his Fairfield home before he passed. I could...
Views: 568   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 18, 2007 5:02pm
by Ganey Arsement
PA stuff vs. Amps
Between Rick's Boss EQ gizmo and Alexander's search for the back porch party rig, we've had a very interesting discussion about gear for the accordions. Everybody's got a different situation: playing the little cafe with a three-piece acoustic ensemble, playing a...
Views: 455   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 17, 2007 4:17pm
by Rick Reid
w
WF
Rendez-vous des Cajuns: Travis Benoit and Allons Danser
3 new vids for the holidays. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzgKhO6O5aM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR5w_EwSrjg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjfoqDkC4D8 WF (any idea on who makes the "La Louisiane" accordion in video #2 ?)
Views: 521   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 17, 2007 10:13am
by Jude the Obscure
Jese Lege
I was listening to the old Lake Charles Ramblers CD today & was wondering what Jese is up to these days. Anyone in touch with him, or know what he's doing? Tee
Views: 574   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 16, 2007 6:08pm
by Maz- Acadien du ...
Back Porch Amp
Can anyone recommend a good clip on mic (not wireless,and no bracket attachment)and good amp (hopefully no preamp) for back porch playing. Just plug and play. Maybe Santa will be good to me. Thanks
Views: 456   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 16, 2007 3:24pm
by Jeff Hildreth
g
gus
cedric watson's two row
You might have seen these videos before, but nevertheless: #1 Cedric on two row (Hohner Erica?) #2 fiddle. Gus
Views: 673   Replies: 29
Last Post: Dec 16, 2007 2:06pm
by gus
b
BJ
The Eternal Triangle
Just came across another connection. The Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance, in Staffordshire, England , is danced to accordion and triangle. Used to be fiddle and triangle. And this goes back beyond historians can determine. Just how far back does this unholy trinity go?...
Views: 436   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2007 1:30pm
by BJ
New CD Available & Tour Recap
Hey Y'all, I've been so busy catching up at work that I never had the chance to post a recap of our Texas-Louisiana tour. Needless to say, we had a fantastic time. I especially enjoyed sharing the stage with fellow Brave, Rick and his band, the Zydeco Stingrays,...
Views: 463   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 15, 2007 11:41am
by Maz- Acadien du ...
Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.
Interesting... I have an accordion in E, tuned five cents wet (very slightly wet) and noticed recently that one of the notes turned completely dry. I thought for sure the wet tuned "mid" reed was not responding, but in fact it had gone five cents back to dry!...
Views: 516   Replies: 18
Last Post: Dec 14, 2007 7:16pm
by Jeff Hildreth
what keith frank does for multiple accordions on stage
it;s pretty smart the problem is, he has about 8 accordions on stage each one has different mics, etc inside what he does is this: one wireless transmitter wireless receiver output goes into an 8 channel mixer here is the smart part - each channel i...
Views: 501   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 14, 2007 4:35pm
by larry english
n
nout
cajun waltz ... who knows the name?
happy x-days ... question: who knows the name of this tune?: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxGT9LdF90 regards, nout
Views: 448   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 14, 2007 12:41pm
by John Fine
Buyers Beware
I had the opportunity last evening to lay my hands on the latest creation of Jude Moreau. If you are contemplating a future purchase from this builder, heed my warning and steer clear. Built upon the simplest of ideas, this accordion is totally absent of fancy mar...
Views: 756   Replies: 21
Last Post: Dec 14, 2007 12:53am
by Rick Reid
Thoughts on Construction accordion frame joints
After some thought, I believe the best way to join the corners would be 45 degree mortise and tenon joints. A 45 degree blind dove-tail would be nice, but unnecessarily complex. The 45 degree mortise and tenon joint is complex enough and would allow a very strong glu...
Views: 523   Replies: 16
Last Post: Dec 13, 2007 7:59pm
by Tom Quinn
Bon Cajun on Ebay sold.
Someone got Jude's nice tit noir at a nice price ($1136.11) May you play it well and often.
Views: 601   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 13, 2007 1:48pm
by John Fine
List of Quebecois Accordion Builders?
I've seen several lists of LA/Tex Cajun box builders and have met a few personally, but I've never seen a similar list of Quebecois builders. Who are the leading French/Canadian builders?
Views: 594   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 13, 2007 1:36am
by Jeff Hildreth
No Plate on Ends of Keyboard?
My Le Capitaine doesn't have plates or covers on the ends of the keyboard...that means Danny didn't run the mortise for the key works all the way through the ends. The ends are solid. You only see the seam between the two halves of the keyboard. He must make keyboard...
Views: 646   Replies: 18
Last Post: Dec 12, 2007 6:30pm
by Andy
All in good fun!
I just wanted to clarify since a few people weren't sure how to take my comments down below. Jude built an accordion for a friend that is probably the simplest looking, best playing and best sounding accordion that I have ever played. I had to give him his props....
Views: 510   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 12, 2007 10:27am
by Jude Moreau
r
Ron A.
Cajun accordion Christmas tree ornament?
Does anyone have a source for a Cajun accordion Christmas tree ornament? I looked online and found piano accordion ornaments, but no button accordion.
Views: 585   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 12, 2007 6:52am
by JoanieBlon
Kid's love Cajun accordions.
Last night I spent about three hours strolling around, playing my box at a Christmas event at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, going through my repetoir of about a dozen tunes with some Christmas carols thrown in for good measure. Got lots of happy attention....
Views: 541   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 11, 2007 1:16pm
by John Fine
g
George
dry tuning
How much is involved in going from a slightly wet tuned accordion to a totally dry tuned accordion? By the way it is tuned in the key of "c". Who does this type of tuning?
Views: 494   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 10, 2007 11:47pm
by Jeff Hildreth
To set the records...
A friend of mine sent me the link to this website and my first opinion of this site was that there are quite a lot of angry people out there who seem to have limiting, narrow views on Cajun music. It makes me laugh when someone from out of state comes down to Louisi...
Views: 925   Replies: 44
Last Post: Dec 10, 2007 10:42pm
by Derek Landry
w
WF
Poll: Top 10 Cajun Accordion Albums/CDs
The criteria is, in your opinion, to choose the top 10 Cajun accordion albums/CDs of all time. These are CDs that you have in your collection that are considered a "must have" in every Cajun music collection. Usually, these are CDs that you can't live without, never...
Views: 625   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 10, 2007 10:18am
by John Fine
Personal Tastes and Endless Debates
I agree with Rick Reid, debate is good, but I do also agree with Joel Savoy, the critique of the Pine Leaf Boys went over the top, Cajun music should bring people together, otherwise why spend all this time discussing music instead of playing it? . Popularity contes...
Views: 553   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 10, 2007 10:11am
by Rick Reid
First Act toy accordion rescued by Irish Dancemaster
Somebody posted here that Michael who runs the business "Irish Dancemaster" would put decent reeds into some makes of toy accordions. I know El Jeffe had done this to his own "toy" with some success. So I emailed Michael - he was happy to do the job for $75 plus s...
Views: 503   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 10, 2007 10:07am
by John Fine
w
WF
Rendez-vous des Cajuns: Hubert Maitre and the Triangle Aces
Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgnz0U44QI4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg9nyCFV48Q WF
Views: 457   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 10, 2007 9:51am
by WF
A "cajun style" two row chromatic melodeon on ebay-uk
Has anyone any experience with this kind of animal...hand made by Eric Martin, two row C/C# melodeon. Interesting... Link #2 John
Views: 581   Replies: 18
Last Post: Dec 9, 2007 9:00pm
by Andy
Accordica & Cajita
Ever get a bug and just have to build it? Okay, I am not a builder or a craftsman, only built bracket book shelves, but I thought I would build a small 10-button accordion that also played a harmonica, hence Accordica. I didn't want to try to build bellows, so I bo...
Views: 517   Replies: 19
Last Post: Dec 9, 2007 8:37pm
by Jeff Hildreth
d
dwight
Valse de Malchanceux
Anyone have tab for this, or a video? The first few notes are the same as Valse a Belizaire, but I can't seem to follow it on up the scale. Not sure how to do it. Anyone?
Views: 433   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 9, 2007 7:34pm
by Ganey Arsement
w
WF
Rendez-vous des Cajuns: Cory McCauley and the Evangeline Aces
Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbhW6XDaCI8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBG8f8AAFnE WF
Views: 486   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 8, 2007 7:55pm
by neal
Trade a C for a Martin D?
I may have the chance to buy a Martin D at a fair price. Trouble is, as a beginner, my instructional Dirk Powell DVD is in C. I also sing mostly in C & G on my piano accordion. *(Nothing magical about that, they were the simplest keys for me to learn to play in)*...
Views: 434   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 8, 2007 3:09pm
by gus
w
WF
Allons Danser: Corey Ledet
Zydeco - Enjoy! With special guest Cedric Watson of Pine Leaf Boys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9zMWcN_WOo With special guest Anna Laura Edmiston of La Bande Feufollet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7tuVE22hE WF
Views: 488   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 8, 2007 1:28pm
by Rick Reid
t
Tommee
Public Domain / Recording
How does one go about researching if a song is in the public domain or if rights are still owned by someone? I seem to remember this being touched on here once several years ago, but I can't remember what was said. Thanks, Tommee
Views: 491   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 4:38pm
by Tommee
b
brian
Martin accordion on ebay
Got a martin accordion on ebay for sale. it says its over 10 years old, and i don't think it's worth the 2200 reserve with no case or strap.
Views: 611   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 2:40pm
by Glenn
w
WF
Poll Closed: Results
Poll Closed. (reposted from below) Here is the top 8. The best I could do. 6 Eunice Two-step 6 Lacassine Special 5 J'Etais Au Bal 4 Midland 2 Step 3 Back O' Town 2 Step 3 Choupique Two-Step 3 Crowley 2 Step 3 Heritage Waltz The rest: 2 Acadian Two St...
Views: 596   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 11:21am
by neal
Photos of your favorite or all of your accordions
I am the proud? owner of a Hohner 114 and saving up for the LA box. I would love to see pictures of all accordions that you all talk about. I know that there are other web sites that post pictures, but they haven't changed much over the last year that I have been w...
Views: 557   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 10:04am
by John Fine
Grammy Nominees
It's not like we need anything to argue about since we are so good at inventing our own squabbles. Nevertheless, I've posted the finalists for the Cajun/Zydeco grammy at the link above. Jude the Obscure
Views: 411   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 12:38am
by Jude the Obscure
Bon Temp in C by Jude Moreau for sale on Ebay
A great hand made tit noir by a very respected builder. Link #3 above John in Austin
Views: 569   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 7, 2007 12:12am
by Bryan Lafleur
w
WF
Poll: Top 10 Cajun Accordion Songs
Another poll shall we??? Why not? The criteria is, in your opinion, to choose the top 10 Cajun accordion songs ever composed. This can be based on creativity, structure, lyrical arrangement, performance difficulty, etc. The songs do not have to be written by Caj...
Views: 934   Replies: 26
Last Post: Dec 6, 2007 10:41pm
by WF
s
Stan
Interested in a quality used C Box
Hello listmembers. I have been playing a two row G/C Hohner for a few years and have learned some Cajun tunes on it which sound dreadful. I am interested in buying a used LA handmade from a reliable source so I can play something with the proper sound and tuning. It...
Views: 514   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 6, 2007 9:43pm
by stan
Come see these great pics on Facebook
Come see the above link. Self-explanatory....
Views: 307   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 6, 2007 4:16pm
by Maz Acadien du N...
7 Finalists For Cajun Zydeco Grammy Awards
Just heard a live broadcast on KBON regarding the 7 finalists for the 2007 Cajun-Zydeco Grammy Awards category. In no particular order: Pine Leaf Boys Lost Bayou Ramblers Geno Delafose & French Rockin' Boogie Roddy Romero & the Hub City Allstars Terrance Si...
Views: 694   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 6, 2007 1:28pm
by JoanieBlon
Lost Bayou Ramblers & The Michot Brothers
Hey Folks, Unless I have my dates wrong, tonight at 8:00 eastern time KRVS is broadcasting this live show. You can tune in at www.krvs.org Should be a good one.
Views: 509   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 6, 2007 10:59am
by neal
Views: 696   Replies: 61
Last Post: Dec 6, 2007 1:00am
by Jon
Instructional Videos
As I mentioned in my earlier post regarding my recently purchased Grand Mamou accordion, I using the Dirk Powell videos as a learning tool. I find them very helpful. Does anyone have any recommendations for other instructional videos, and if so, what do you find diff...
Views: 445   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 5, 2007 6:44pm
by Jude the Obscure
New Grand Mamou Accordion
I've been lurking on this site for a while and wanted to post my first message to tell how I first discovered Big Nick's site while searching for new music; how his instructional videos inspired me to try to learn the accordion at a somewhat late age; how a poker/fis...
Views: 496   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 5, 2007 11:55am
by steve from Jerse...
Identity Crisis
Just looking for some answers...I posted a response a few days back to a "David" that was intended for David Bertrand. Are these not the same David? Not to be confused with David Sousa. Also, if Jeff Hildreth also known as el Jefe?
Views: 542   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 5, 2007 11:36am
by David (#3)
Christmas came early
Wow!!, or should I say Ye Yaille!! Today my order from Savoy Music Center arrived, along with some other cd`s I`d ordered. I`m in a very good mood.... Wilfred
Views: 517   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 5, 2007 10:53am
by Griff
d
dwight
Hey Rusty
I caught your "Crowley Two Step" on YouTube. I think we went through this before, where you sent me an MP4 file or something, and my system couldn't handle it. I was trying to download the YouTube version, but it don't let. Any possibility of getting a WMV or...
Views: 444   Replies: 13
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 7:20pm
by Dwight
Accordion Pick-up
Anybody know anything about this accordion pick-up for sale on ebay? Link #2 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230199406721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013
Views: 524   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 5:00pm
by John Fine
Hohner 114...keys other than C
I saw a Hohner 114 for sale on Ebay in the key of D (opening bid is way too high). What other keys does the little box come in ready-made? I had thought it only came in C. Seems to still be the best value in a learner's box and with a little tweeking, can go well be...
Views: 560   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 3:58pm
by Jeff Hildreth
b
BJ
What key?
Does anyone have the Charles Mann recording of 'Walk of Life'? The key is E, but I wonder if the box ( who's playing? ) is an A. I presume the dire straits recording is in E, as guitarists always seem to play it that way. I need to know if it was an A box befor...
Views: 537   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 3:38pm
by Wilfred
g
gus
how bellows are made
Wanna see how to make bellows? For me itlooks like origami. On link #1 you'can see how this Norwegian builder makes his bellows. There is also an interesting sound sample somewhere(see gallery) of the one row he makes. Hope you enjoy it Gus
Views: 436   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 1:29pm
by gus
d
dwight
Coming to Lafayette
I'll be in the Lafayette area for a few days on either side of New Years. Would like to connect with some folks, put a face to a name, maybe play a little music. Let me know if any of you are going to be available. I'll be catching a few shows while I'm there to...
Views: 490   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 4, 2007 10:01am
by Johnny Ace
w
WF
Poll Closed: Results
(repost from down below) Here are the results. Notice the 4 way tie for 5th place. Comments? 15 Marc Savoy 11 Steve Riley 8 Ray Abshire 6 Jason Frey 4 Paul Daigle 4 Walter Mouton 4 Jesse Lege 4 Wayne Toups The rest of the list 3 Jimmy Breaux 2 Joh...
Views: 584   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 3, 2007 7:13pm
by Joe D
Tuning and Temperament--My thoughts
1. The German style (Cajun Accordion) plays in one diatonic scale. You can also play in a natural minor scale and in a major scale with a flat 7th (eg. G on a C accordion). --what advantage does equal temperament have on this kind of limited instrument that does not...
Views: 1225   Replies: 13
Last Post: Dec 3, 2007 4:32pm
by RPr
g
gus
hunter hayes
Maybe it was posted before, just take a look at youtube #1 Gus
Views: 550   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 3, 2007 3:27pm
by Ron v D
b
brian
lester accordion
ever heard of a lester accordion? http://cgi.ebay.com/Cajun-style-accordeon-accordion-Lester_W0QQitemZ300178242226QQihZ020QQcategoryZ16218QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Views: 523   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 2, 2007 9:06pm
by Joe D
Amazing Louisiana Accordion History
I just read this fine article. I wonder if it was already posted but here it is again even if so. http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/Articles_Essays/intro_and_use_of_accordions.html
Views: 457   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 2, 2007 6:14pm
by Harlan johnson
Gotta have a Cajun accordion - NOW!
Okay friends, I'm dying here. Where do I go to get a real live, Cajun-made, used box? Do I just call all the makers I can find listed and hunt around? I've heard pawn shops in Louisiana casino towns might yield some results. Failing all of the above, who makes th...
Views: 789   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 2, 2007 5:48pm
by Jeff Hildreth
w
WF
Poll: Top 5 Cajun bands
Well since we're into polls... In your opinion, list your top 5.
Views: 510   Replies: 23
Last Post: Dec 2, 2007 12:52pm
by larry english
w
WF
Allons Danser: Jimmy Breaux with Jamey Bearb
With special guests Jamey Bearb Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXLThJzRsws http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZlSJYoF-A0 See em all at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=falcanary WF
Views: 548   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 7:25pm
by WF
Accordion Prices
FYI: Marc Savoy has posted new prices for Acadian accordions. The basic model will run $2295 and the fancy model will run $2695 as of January 2008.
Views: 604   Replies: 22
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 6:24pm
by Jeff Hildreth
zydeco wachin you
Hi Braves, my name is Rico. I have been watchin this site for 2 years. Hello to RR, LE, DS, JTO, JA, and many others. Some of us quiet ones just DO IT!! I am a minor player but not only do I k now most of the Zy players sometimes I get to play with them when they co...
Views: 674   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 2:23pm
by Rick gerring
Check out this idiot on ebay
I am speachless...
Views: 592   Replies: 22
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 11:51am
by WF
n
neal
How Pine Leaf Boys took their name
Sorry for the double post. I just posted this below in the PLB thread, but the thread is getting to be so long I just wanted to bump it higher. Cedric told me they named themselves with reference to Nathan Abshire's band the Pine Grove Boys. So it is not for th...
Views: 591   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 11:42am
by Toby
d
David
Lyrics for La Baque que Brille
I'm trying to find the lyrics to the song: The Ring That Shines (La baque que brille). Also the Camey Doucet version of :Joile 'tits yeu bleu Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Views: 598   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 9:59am
by David
Cool tones on cool tunes...
I almost hate to talk about this, cause I have found a way cool way to play guitar. Just got a great National Style "0" last week. It was made in 10/00 and is the best sounding and playing resophonic guitar I've ever had. Don't have any accordions anymore, but I...
Views: 427   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 1, 2007 1:01am
by Rick Reid
Ok...I'm sold...Lost Bayou Ramblers are Tre Bien
Check out link #3 above and follow the other postings. I'd pay to hear these guys long before the Pine Leaf Boys. This is Good. John Austin, TX
Views: 509   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 30, 2007 5:12pm
by Rick Reid
Charles Thibodeaux on YouTube
Two clips at Evangeline Cafe in Austin...just found them. The fiddle player is not the regular guy, Peter Swartz. On Jolie Blonde, the gal in pink is a regular...good dancer, among other things.
Views: 496   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2007 5:06pm
by John Fine
Cajun style file for Yamaha keyboard
Unfortunately my Yamaha PSR-K1 has no built-in Cajun style. Could you give me any hints where can I find one? Thanks, Miki
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2007 12:12pm
by nemethmik
cost of reeds
apropos of nothing in particular, can anyone give me a rough idea what a set of, say, binci professional reeds would cost now, in american dollars? assume i am just buying one complete set.. not that i am, but just wondering what part of the cost of an acco...
Views: 432   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 30, 2007 11:34am
by Bruce Fraser
Buying my first Cajun box
I just discovered this forum. Right on! I also just got back from the Festivals Acadiens. I hadn't been to it in around 10 years. It hit me like a ton a bricks - I gotta get one of those Cajun accordions! But I've been playing the piano accordion for awhile, an...
Views: 538   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 29, 2007 12:54am
by Rick Reid
Cajun accordionists in Arkansas/NW Arkansas area?
I'd love to meet some more (or ANY) Cajun players or Cajun wanabees (my category) in Arkansas, or in the Fayetteville/NW Arkansas corner area. My # is 479-502-2893. Call anytime! Thanks, Jamey Hall
Views: 409   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 28, 2007 11:47pm
by Jamey Hall
m
Marc
Sounds of accordions
Can anybody say to me why the sounds of accordions " cajun " and " zydeco " are different? Excuse my english.
Views: 761   Replies: 56
Last Post: Nov 28, 2007 4:54pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Pronunciation? And Balfa Camp
Ok, I had a guy who should know here in Austin pronounced Doucet...Doo-set. I thought it was Doo-say. Don't want to shame myself if I go to Balfa Camp (PLEEESE,dear wife, PLEESE, can I go?) I know for the money she would much rather go on a cruise.
Views: 522   Replies: 16
Last Post: Nov 28, 2007 2:02pm
by bryan lafleur
Mark Sponer & Chris Miller of Bayou Roots
Brave Mark Sponer and his wife, Jan, have managed to make quite a few trips to Louisiana this year. Mark sent the photo below last month and writes: Hey Joan, We just got back from a trip to Lake Charles. We attended the CFMA Lake Charles Fest on Sat and Sun....
Views: 744   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 28, 2007 9:37am
by Jamey Hall
jams on sundays
How come no one ever goes to those jams on sunday evenings at the vfw hall in vinton la?
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2007 8:31pm
by Richard J. Chess...
FS/T: Castignari 6+2 mini melodeon in C, $285 shipped
I picked up this little box on impulse, same as the little Stagi mini-English 18button I once had. However, now I need to cover some other music projects, so it's up for sale/trade. Willing to consider this box plus my cash for a decent basic Cajun box, or for a...
Views: 267   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2007 11:54am
by Matthew Vanitas
Anyone knows Kira Viator?
Here's the link above on YouTube. Anyone knows her? Nice sound.
Views: 483   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 27, 2007 5:26am
by craig
b
BJ
South of the border
..down Brazil way. I was watching a TV programme about Brazil. Mostly Samba, of course. And Bossa Nova. Then they showed some musicians from the rural northeast. The line up was accordion, TRIANGLE (!) and big drum. This was Forro (pr. faw-HAW ). I'd never se...
Views: 526   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 26, 2007 5:14pm
by Jeff Hildreth
k
Kirk M
Thanksgiving
I like to think of it as: THANKS & FORGIVENESS DAY Kirk Menier
Views: 488   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 26, 2007 5:12pm
by John Fine
w
WF
Rendez-vous Des Cajuns: Gerard Delafose and the Zydeco Gators
Zydeco - Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKsmE_br_o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjzRBg3cRcs See em all at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=falcanary WF
Views: 438   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 26, 2007 10:11am
by WF
Orphan Waltz
I found a version of the Orphan Waltz with Steve Riley and Dewey Balfa on iTunes...Really good version of this tune...I never even knew it existed..I also found some cuts of Steve and the playboys at JazzFest on there...Have any of you guys ever found any little trea...
Views: 427   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 26, 2007 8:54am
by bryan lafleur
Richard W Chesson Accordian
Just in case no one read my response below here it is on this one, thats right, I am trying to put this matter out here in this website so everyone can see what is happening! Ok first of all, this accordian that this person is speaking of {aka my mother under my d...
Views: 438   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 25, 2007 7:59pm
by Richard J. Chess...
Accordian
I have for sale a Larry Miller Accordian it is in very good condition the reeds have been replaced ect.Included is the case strap pick up. it is blue trimed in ebony mother of pearl buttons, it is in very good cond.It is no longer needed.If interested call 409-983-1431
Views: 507   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 25, 2007 4:13pm
by Jeff Hildreth
n
Nonc D
Bellows Divider ...as in the picture above
A bunch of old photos show accordions with bellows dividers. I have only come across perhaps a couple of contemporary hand made accordions that have these dividers. One of which belongs to Joan (it's a beautiful accordion). What I wonder is; Do the bellows...
Views: 613   Replies: 19
Last Post: Nov 24, 2007 8:04pm
by Jeff Hildreth
"tit monde"
I was listening to a variety of cajun and zydeco tunes this morning, and frequently, I heard the term "tit monde". Of course, I have heard the term frequently, but it occured to me this morning, that I have never used the term, and not being from cajun country have...
Views: 446   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 24, 2007 12:39pm
by Toby
Zydeco Joe
just heard on the radio that Zydeco Joe died here in lafayette Saturday...very sad to hear that.. see link above
Views: 639   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 24, 2007 6:14am
by craig
j
Jim
Replacement bellows, they're very different. A little concerned...
I got my bellows replaced on one of my accordions recently and I noticed something different about them. All of the gussets (or the white, leather bellows corners) are all sticking out and not tucked in. Almost like they've been yanked out. What in the world i...
Views: 569   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 24, 2007 1:49am
by Glenn
y
Yves
Metal or plastic buttons?
Hi, What kind of treble buttons do you prefer? Metal or plastic? And for what reasons? Any pros & contras? Thanks a lot!
Views: 533   Replies: 17
Last Post: Nov 22, 2007 11:43pm
by Jeff Hildreth
w
WF
Rendez-vous Des Cajuns: Pine Leaf Boys
Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEfa7fOoSXw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1309EQ_NY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvAnDVTp08k WF
Views: 492   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 22, 2007 11:02am
by Johnny Ace
l
Layne
Need Lyrics to Valse Duralde
Help me out ya'll. My new favorite waltz is off of the Les Amis Creole cd. Duralde waltz. One of those really simple waltzes on twin fiddles that carries alot of power and emotion in my book. I've got most of the lyrics but a few lines are leaving me stumped. If some...
Views: 487   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 22, 2007 10:43am
by roger w
Cajun Thanksgiving
I know this is a little OT, but I'm curious. Are there any specific types of dishes you guys cook for Thanksgiving besides the usual turkey and stuffing. I grew up in a house where gumbo and stuffed shrimp mirliton were always on the table for Thanksgiving, but th...
Views: 572   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 22, 2007 6:54am
by bryan lafleur
box style comparison
What are the differences both in style and mechanical between Quebec and Cajun style accordions? Thanks, Greg
Views: 537   Replies: 16
Last Post: Nov 21, 2007 6:47pm
by Jeff Hildreth
w
WF
Allons Danser: Corey Arceneaux and Hot Peppers
Zydeco - Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfiBCf2SJ_Q http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiiD46w7OBA WF
Views: 533   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 21, 2007 3:00pm
by WF
k
Kirk M
Traveling in Louisiana????
WARNING!! If you are driving on I-10 through Louisiana beware that I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge is shut down until December 5 because of a gas well fire. Allow plenty extra time for travel.
Views: 562   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 20, 2007 9:42pm
by bryan lafleur
John Rogers Cajun Brand
Hey John, Beau Jocque had one of your boxes -- it's on the CD Jacket of his "Au Revoir" disc. That's one of the prettiest boxes I've ever seen. Can you share some details about the wood and what key it was in? Wonder where it is now... R!CK
Views: 617   Replies: 14
Last Post: Nov 20, 2007 9:37pm
by Rick Reid
FOREMAN ACCORDION
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT FOREMAN ACCORDIONS HOW MUCH DO THEY COST ETC
Views: 674   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 20, 2007 2:56pm
by Nathan
making reeds
Searching for reeds information on the internet I'm getting to this site. It's no video, but maybe interesting enough.
Views: 413   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 20, 2007 11:58am
by Ron v D
Balfa Week
I got an email saying that registration is starting up again...Any early takers?? JOey
Views: 476   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 19, 2007 8:35pm
by Maz- Acadien du ...
n
Nicole
Gasket story
Hi guys¸ I had an experience lately... I own a Bon Cajun since 2003 and just loved it until a while ago. The sound seemed less punchy, and I felt as if the instrument was always out of breath. So it stayed on the shelf for a while. I live in Canada (province...
Views: 504   Replies: 16
Last Post: Nov 18, 2007 9:16am
by John Roger
b
BJ
Recent Auction
I missed the close of the ex. Eddie Lejeune accordion in UK. Did anyone notice what it made? Did it go to anyone we know? BJ
Views: 587   Replies: 34
Last Post: Nov 18, 2007 6:27am
by BJ
h
henry
Rusty Reeds Blues
What is the best way, apart from using fine sandpaper, to remove slight rust traces from a set of Binci reeds caused by exposure for about 4 years to the Louisiana humid climate. F.i. are there any solvents to soak them in, capable of reaching difficult edges?
Views: 452   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 18, 2007 3:55am
by henryb
e
Ed
Cold Weather
What precautions should I take when playing outside in cold weather with my LA accordion?? I'ld say weather about 30 degrees F. Thats cold for me. Thanks.... Ed
Views: 564   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 18, 2007 1:36am
by MarkS
jam every sunday
Just letting everyone know that there is soon to be an open spot for accordian player every sunday at the cajun jam in vinton la exit toomey starks from 1pm till 5pm. Anyone interested email me.
Views: 538   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 17, 2007 9:14am
by aaron chesson
Cajun Christmas Songs?
What are the favorite Christmas songs suited to the C tuned accordion down in Cajun land? I can play "The First Noel", "Silent Night", "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", Santa Claus is Coming to Town", "Jingle Bells" and a couple others, also "Greensleeves" which is...
Views: 490   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 16, 2007 7:15pm
by wingingit
Check the J. Paul Gab...
Looks like an antique. Ever see one quite like this? Kinda cool in a Bavarian kinda way... Link: http://www.nubreeds.com/photos/photos28/images/IMG_0217_JPG.jpg R!CK
Views: 389   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 16, 2007 5:45pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Lateen Miller
Dose anybody know about "Lateen Miller"? I found an accordion made by him and would like to know if this would be a good insturment to pick up?
Views: 502   Replies: 21
Last Post: Nov 15, 2007 5:11pm
by Ganey Arsement
odd fiddles
Anyone know what the heck that is the fiddler is playing on WF's Howard Noel, Jr Youtube video posted below? Ça c'est drole, ça. Pretty nice accordion playing there also.
Views: 416   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 15, 2007 4:12pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Ed Poullard
Hey Ed, its aaron. I need you to get in contact with me if you can. I want to talk to you about your accordians. Thanks.
Views: 537   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 15, 2007 3:44pm
by aaron chesson
gabbanelli accordions
Does anyone have an opinion of the Gabbanelli Cajun King? I know they don't have Binci reeds, and the reeds are aluminum. They sell for about 800.00 dollars, and I wonder if they are better than a hohner for a beginner who doesn't have two thousand dollars for...
Views: 449   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 14, 2007 10:01pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Unusual keyboard specs
I just measured the distance from the outside edge of the keyboard of my "Le Capitaine" to the center of the row of keys: One full inch !! I have larger hands and it fits me wonderfully. I can easily reach the 1st (top) button ... I have to hit it for "Streets of L...
Views: 386   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 14, 2007 5:26pm
by John Fine
n
Nonc D
Ever get the itch? Buy a harp, if a box is not doable
Someone mentioned; what do ya do when it starts to get cold(?). Now then...We talking cold and gloomy, looking like rain sorta thing? if so.... Me, I go indoors and conjour dangerous thoughts of what it would be like to commission a new accordion. I am fortuna...
Views: 570   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 13, 2007 7:47pm
by Jeff Hildreth
w
WF
Free MP3s of old Cajun classics
Free MP3s of old Cajun classics. Be sure to have an MP3 player ready. Enjoy. http://juneberry78s.com/sounds/ListenToCajun.htm -WF (in order to save to harddrive for uploading to iPod, right-click on the icon located on the right side of the song name and c...
Views: 594   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 13, 2007 6:30pm
by Rick Reid
w
WF
Rendez-vous Des Cajuns: Lost Bayou Ramblers
Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAQWZLgDVso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoSLOkXP-JQ WF
Views: 555   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 13, 2007 4:24pm
by WF
b
Brian
Acadian D on ebay
Their is an acadian accordion on ebay, key of D. Way it sounds belonged to an elderly gentleman who is unable to play it anymore. Bidding starts at $1200 with no reserve.
Views: 578   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 13, 2007 1:48pm
by gus
I've found a host for a regular Cajun Jam here in Austin
Bud at Shoal Creek Inn has a great room for us...stage, sound equipment, plus great gumbo, oysters and beer. In good weather, we could move to the outdoor space. Perhaps Mon or Wed evening. Probably schedule the first jam in January after the holiday party season....
Views: 388   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 12, 2007 5:12pm
by John Fine
How air tight should an accordion be?
Is the ideal to have an accordion completely air-tight where you can hang it by the bass strap and it stays completely closed? What degree of leakage is acceptable? Don't lighter springs cause a lighter seal of the valves? I hear all the time of players who...
Views: 425   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 12, 2007 12:45pm
by BJ
points to ponder
Found link #3 while searching for info on George Fontenot, a Mamou area fiddler I hadnt heard of. Heard a unique version on KRVS this am of la valse de bombocheur he did called "la berouette(sp?)". Also heard a version of La Betaille by the Landreneaus that I hadnt...
Views: 426   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 12, 2007 12:14pm
by John Fine
What are YOU doing, this morning?
I'm sitting on my back porch strumming on the latest addition to my family and watching the McNeese tailgaters scurrying around to cover their stuff before it rains.
Views: 523   Replies: 23
Last Post: Nov 11, 2007 8:55pm
by Jeff Hildreth
y
Yves
Andre Michot
Hello, I wonder if anyone here already had any experience with an accordion made by Andre Michot from Lost Bayou Ramblers? Last sunday they played with us here in Belgium (what a wonderful band!!!) and I've talked a lot with these great guys. Andre seems to make...
Views: 749   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 10, 2007 8:33pm
by Jude Moreau
b
Brian
Views: 602   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 10, 2007 4:12pm
by JoanieBlon
j
Jim
Comparisons: new handmades to old handmades
This may be a broad subject or a very narrow subject... I've only been playing since 2002 and the handmades I have are from '02 forward. I've played on many older Louisiana made accordions, but never long enough to put my finger on the differences. Anyone no...
Views: 684   Replies: 30
Last Post: Nov 9, 2007 8:49pm
by Jeff Hildreth
Help! I need diatonic accordion mechanism specs!
Hey folks, Today,at lunch time, I was playing a few tunes on my new Swallow Bb in the park in front of my building.. A gentleman approached me. He was very impressed with my music and my accordion. He is a Dr in mechanical engineering and teaches mechanical engine...
Views: 545   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 9, 2007 5:04pm
by John Fine
b
Brian
Falcon rumor
I heard from a friend of mind that the patent on Randy's dual accordions is coming up for renewal. According to my friend he won't be renewing it. I don't know if it is true or not, but it would be cool to see if other builders could get the double design like the fa...
Views: 748   Replies: 24
Last Post: Nov 9, 2007 3:00pm
by Rick Reid
Who would you buy your next box from?
I may be ordering a box in D after the first of the year. Who would you order it from? and why? Some factors to consider: Reputation for quality; speed of delivery; price...etc. I have met a talked to Ed Poullard and Danny Dyson, both were friendly and knowle...
Views: 493   Replies: 13
Last Post: Nov 9, 2007 10:42am
by John Fine
w
WF
The Death of Amedee Ardoin
Sad story about the loss of Amedee Ardoin. Alan Lomax narrarates the story told by Canray and others. I thought I'd post this old clip since he had a profound impact on what Cajun music sounds like today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIbUD5_7Ko The film w...
Views: 626   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2007 9:06am
by bryan lafleur
t
Toby
Accordion seeks home-beware of Ebay scams
Hello everyone, I have been away a couple days, but I had listed an accordion on Ebay and had a very strange thing happen. (It was the Mouton "c" box, I saw it was mentioned lower on this page. ) Anyway, the auction ended at $935.00 and I sent the invoice today and...
Views: 577   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2007 7:50am
by Toby
Rusty!
Just trying to send you a note, and I can't connect on the adress you've posted! Claude.
Views: 468   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 7, 2007 6:32pm
by Rusty
b
BJ
Name that Tune!
Can anyone tell me what Cyp and Adam Landrenau are playing on the Youtube vid. The one that's titled 'Cajun Band'. Well, the other one, as well, as far as that goes. I know I've got a version of it somewhere, but it'll take me ages to find it. Thanks, BJ
Views: 556   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 7, 2007 11:14am
by Ron v D
To R. Hebert
Mr. Hebert, Just want to clear a couple things, and offer a fresh start. I dont think you were ganged up on purposely, though I'm sure it looks like that. There were just that many people who got a nerve tweaked. And, at least for me, it wasnt your opinions tha...
Views: 481   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 7, 2007 9:20am
by bryan lafleur
k
Kent
accordion for sale
I will be selling two of my accordion in a few weeks. One is a beautiful Bon Tee Cajun "A" accordion with an internal mic. built by Larry Miller. The other is a Maritn accordion key of "D" built by Jr. Martin. If interested contact me before I list them on e-bay.
Views: 545   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 6, 2007 9:11pm
by Kent
c
Claude
Gabb Cajun King
And when you think, you've seen everything, there it is, in plain view, for all to see!!!!!!. ebay has a "Cajun king", up for auction, and one of the pics shows a side view of one of the end panels. I had to look twice at the type of joinery used for the frame...
Views: 614   Replies: 35
Last Post: Nov 6, 2007 8:22pm
by Jeff Hildreth
n
Nonc D
From toilet bowl to reed blocks - what a concoction !
So here I am doing some remodel thing, yanking out a toilet in the guest bath rm. When I put the thing back, I placed a new wax ring... and it hit me.... wham! wax ... toilet... reeds. Ya See: A ways back, somebody discussed using toilet wax ring mixed with...
Views: 580   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 6, 2007 6:33pm
by nout
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!