U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum

The United States War Dogs Association welcomes you to this forum. Please NO advertisements.

U.S. War Dogs Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Gifts for War Dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan
An elderly friend called me about a report on CNN about an organisation that provides for volunteer gifts to war dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan. She thought the organisation was "Canine Support" and "dogtople". She might have meant "dogtopia." I could not find it on go...
Views: 926   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 26, 2009 11:03pm
by Alan Kalfus
s
Scott
K9 Bahco KIA, 26 Apr 09
I am sorry to announce the loss of K9 Bahco. He was KIA on 26 Apr 09,while conducting on open area search. K9 Bacho located the individual hiding in a fighting hole awaiting the search team. K9 Bahco engaged the individual but was unfortunately shot two times whil...
Views: 886   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 28, 2009 7:34am
by M Heekin
Missing Email - Computer Crash
Anyone who has emailed me (ronaiello@uswardogs.org)or the US War Dogs Association in the last two months, could you please resend your email. I had a major computer crash and lost some of my email. Thank you. Ron Aiello
Views: 744   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2009 9:14pm
by Ron Aiello
p
Peggy
Amazing Site
Thank you for your site! I am involved with Support Military Working Dogs (www.supportmilitaryworkingdogs.org). These dogs are our Soldiers first line of defense and by no means get the acknowledgement or support that they deserve! Keep up the good work!
Views: 787   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 12, 2009 9:30am
by Peggy
"U.S. War Dogs: Remebering Man's Best Friend"
"U.S. War Dogs: Remebering Man's Best Friend" 06 June 2009, Time: 1 PM Where? United States War Dogs Memorial New Jersey Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Holmdel, New Jersey Program: History of U. S. Military K9's Today's Military Working Do...
Views: 779   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 29, 2009 8:03pm
by Ron Aiello
Information if anyone has it
I'm looking to see if any of you know of an organization called Over There, LLC based in Riverside, California. They claim to have put together and sent over 1000 care packages to military K-9 Handlers and their dogs in Afghanistan and Kuwait, but I am unable to fin...
Views: 847   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 13, 2009 5:23pm
by Ron Aiello
Info on MWD adoptions, etc. for Memorial Day event in CA
Hi there, I'm a volunteer for all-breed dog rescue here in California, and I'm also involved in coordinating an annual Memorial Day celebration/fair at the Veterans' Memorial/Legion of Valor Museum in Fresno, CA. Here's their website, if you're interested - http...
Views: 782   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 31, 2009 12:26pm
by Shannon FitzGera...
d
Dustin
Writing about the Vietnam War Dogs
Hello, This all feels a little awkward asking it, but I would like to write a book about the Vietnam war dogs, and was wondering if I could get information. What I need at the moment for accuracy though, is tattoo numbers and any and all information on training w...
Views: 833   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 25, 2009 12:11pm
by Dustin
Osan Air Base
I am a trainer at Osan Air Base. We are looking to put together a history of K9 at Osan for the kennels. Any information that the viewers may have as to the history of the MWD section at Osan will be helpful, but we are especially interested in when the kennels whe...
Views: 765   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 12, 2009 11:38pm
by Christopher Pier...
Willing to provide home for "retired"/injured Svc Dog
I have had a Svc/Helper Dog for 10 yrs. He saved my life twice, kept me going when I wanted to quit & gave me lots of love in return. Thanks to surgery & good meds, and the constant 'push' from my dog to get out & do things, I have gone from a wheelchair to using a c...
Views: 928   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 3, 2009 1:33pm
by SFC Dane Hays, R...
Ringo tatoo: 94xO Vietnam
Does anyone know or did you serve with Steve Thompson, from Augusta, Georgia? Navy dog handler. He got our family German Shepard, our beloved Ringo when he was about 1 year. Ringo was too over-protective of my sisters and I and bit all the neighbors. My dad was a...
Views: 887   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2008 3:08pm
by Mar Lynch
Adopting a Retired War Dog from Iraq
On a website that I frequent I read that people who want to adopt a soon-to-be retired dog from Iraq must pay to have the dog shipped back to the US. This created quite a stir. The consensus is that the military should pay to have the dog returned to the US. I t...
Views: 898   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 9, 2008 7:16pm
by Linda B
l
linda
i want to adopt a dog/handler team
to whom it may concern i would like to "adopt" a dog/handler team that is stationed overseas fighting for our country. i would like to send personal items for the dog and handler. where do i get information so that i can "adopt" them? thanks linda
Views: 889   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2008 3:19pm
by Ron Aiello
Father - KWV
My father, William James McAuley, and I were seperated in 1969 (I was born in '67). I found my pops in '98, but he had died in '96. I have known little about him, but I just learned that he was a U.S. marine 27-Sept-50 to 26-Aug-54 and served in Korea (his discharg...
Views: 869   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 15, 2008 1:36am
by G.E. McAuley
j
jo
wardog
Hi Ron I spoke with you on Friday about finding out about a wardog. I was wondering if you found the website. I never received an email. thank you so much. Jo-Anne
Views: 1125   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 7:32pm
by Michelle Trissel
K9 "Fluffy"
I thought that I would pass this email that I just received from Russell Joyce who is deployed at this time. The news is sad and I for one will miss K9 Fluffy. He made it possible for so many of us to get together and share in his experience and life. May "Fluf...
Views: 1051   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 2:57pm
by Ron Aiello
Permision
May I have permission to cut/paste "you may be a taliban if---" to another website? with a link to uswardogs.org ?
Views: 901   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 1, 2008 8:08am
by Ron Aiello
Locating Chiloi O'Brien
Hello, we are trying to locate Chiloi O'Brien. She went through basic training with my wife and later served together with her as a K-9 Handler in Kitzingen/ Germany. The last we know of is that Chiloi pcs'd to Fort Leonard Wood. The last we know she was a E-7. The...
Views: 993   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 9, 2008 1:01pm
by Thilo Neubert
Miniture !!!
Ron, Received my Miniture "US War Dog Monument" in the mail yesterday. Looks great !!!! Would recommend to all interested to get one while they last. Semper Fi Perry C. Money
Views: 884   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 26, 2008 11:50am
by Ron Aiello
Looking for a Friend
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Riley Crawford who was in the 824th K-9 on Kadena, Okinawa 1963-1966 with his dog Rex. I haven't seen him in 42 years and would like to make contact.
Views: 853   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 8:40am
by Don Williams
Where are K-9 units based?
Hi, I am trying to educate myself about K-9 units and hoping someone to help. Are K-9 units in all the military forces? Are there K-9 units at bases in NC, such as Cherry Point, Camp Lejuene, or Fort Bragg? Can donations be taken to the units on base to be transpor...
Views: 1136   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 3, 2008 9:45am
by fry usmc k-9
K-9 Cemetery
I'm stationed at Andrews AFB, MD. I would like to know if anyone have any information on burials of MWDs at the kennels at Andrews AFB. We recently discovered 5 grave sites, while digging to install comm. lines, that we believe are former MWDs. No one whose curren...
Views: 1148   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 3, 2008 9:33am
by fry usmc k-9
l
Lisa
Thrilled to find this site
My son recently deployed to Iraq with his MWD Oras. I'm so happy to see a group dedicated to their service.
Views: 860   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 29, 2008 1:09pm
by Lisa
v
Vivian
Current list of supplies that the wardogs need
Please send to my email an updated list of all items needed by the wardogs, not only so I can send another box over myself, but also so I can let the base know to have a base wide email put out concerning their needs. thank you!!
Views: 926   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 1, 2008 6:31pm
by Vivian
Home Page Song
I know that this is not of great significants. I love the information that I have found here. I am going to try to adopt a wardog when I get home. But, I also love the song on the home page. What is the title and artist?
Views: 883   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 30, 2008 7:49pm
by Ron Aiello
Naval Training Center, San Diego, Ca
To all the Military working dogs i had the honor to serve with. At NTC Security. To MA 1 Robin thompson, her dog. I sat with are dog 9 hours after his dental treatment. Cleaned hi skennel it was a great tour as aPatrolman. Great team we had.
Views: 857   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2008 5:46pm
by Craig Brewster
Ranks for MWDs
I took a look at your page, and was wondering: Could a Dog win ranks in the US army?? Or in any other army? I read here an article about dogs surpasing in rank their handlers, but it didn`t what ranks were those. Could you tell me? You can answer here, or to my emai...
Views: 898   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2008 8:42am
by jhr cronos
s
Starr
My son is Looking to go in the Military and work with dog
My son wants to go in the Military to work with dogs but it has been hard finding info about which branch is best. As a mother I am scared of him going in the Army or Marines in a time of war so I was hoping that the Navy or the Coast Guard has what he is looking for...
Views: 1213   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 13, 2008 5:18pm
by Clay
vet near Fallujah??
I am looking for a vet capable of giving and signing a rabies certificate near Fallujah for my marine stationed there right now. Can anyone help?
Views: 802   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 9, 2008 9:35am
by holly kirk
Baron 1k67
To any one out there that may have info on above K-9 one of the few that got out of Vietnam. I was his handler from 1972-1976 drug enforcement Parris Island. Thank you
Views: 831   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 6, 2008 5:10pm
by Alan Shepard
Thank you Perry C. Money
Perry, Thanks to your suggestions I was able to locate information I desired regarding Binh Thuy and also talked by phone just now with a handler who worked with my dog after I left. This will also allow me to communicate with some of the guys I served with. I rea...
Views: 844   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 5:32pm
by James Moriarty
p
paul
trying to find out about my grandpas dog
i was talking to my dad today and he told me that my grandfather donated his dog to be a war dog. he also told me that the dog had recieved many ribbons and medals. does anyone know if there is a site i can go to and find out some more info about were my grandfathers...
Views: 901   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 20, 2008 2:00pm
by Perry C. Money
Binh Thuy Viet Nam 1965-66
Hello, I served at Binh Thuy Air Base, in the Delta near Can Tho, from 12-65 to 12-66 with my dear friend and guardian Ching A067, who stayed behind when I returned home. I would enjoy hearing from other handlers who were at Binh Thuy, particularly the one who worked...
Views: 835   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 1, 2008 12:48pm
by Perry C. Money
Service Dogs Neutered?
Does anyone know if service dogs ie: Army/ Marine Corps. dogs are neutered? I have a year and half old Rott. and I need to know how this affects the dog. Thank you
Views: 932   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 27, 2008 11:01am
by G Davidson
Author needs War dog stories forNew Book Animals Our Best Friends
My newest book Animals Our Best Friends, Angels in Fur Coats is nearly complete except for the chapter on War Dogs. I need your personal story, your dogs deserve to have their story told. This book is the culmination of 9 years of true stories of dogs, cats and hors...
Views: 890   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2008 7:55am
by Janet Stewart
information on handlers and dog
Hi I am trying to find out about a dog handler named John Aldor and his dogs. I know he has passed and he had one dog named King, trying to locate the name of the other dog. Also does anyone know of a handler whose last name was Polito? Thanks.
Views: 1025   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 7, 2008 4:45pm
by Jo-Anne
p
Patti
War Dog Major
I have been looking for information for a war dog named Major. He was in the war in or about 1944-1950. His handler and owner was last name Woodard, could be spelled differently. The handler was KIA but his dog was sent home to his father in Ojai Ca. a policeman name...
Views: 917   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 4, 2008 9:10pm
by Patti
I am in AWE...TODAY is the DAY!!!
TODAY my husband and I make the journey I have hoped to take for 7 years! TODAY we travel to VA are are privileged to adopt our first retiring MWD, 10 year old Benny. We will bring him to his new forever home with gratitude,and awe at what he and his handlers have do...
Views: 962   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 22, 2008 8:37am
by Debbie K.
Information for Thailand Vets
Good evening, My name is Kurt Priessman. I am a retired MSgt (USAF). I spent my first term as K-9 and served at U-Tapao, Korat and Kadena. My son is K-9 and has served all over the world. You can check with John Homa, Dave Broeker, or Bill Cummings if you...
Views: 937   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 18, 2008 6:47pm
by Kurt Priessman
Looking for Army Regulation
I'm a Civilian CID Procurement Fraud Agent, and I'm looking for either an electronic copy or a hard copy of AR 190-12 (the 1993 version) which was superceded 4 Jun 2007. I have the current copy, and I have the old Army Pamphlet, but have had a very difficult time fi...
Views: 926   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 9, 2008 10:41am
by smccarron
Living WWII doghandler veterans
Hello. I am a high school history teacher who is working on a book on WW2 veterans. Does anyone know of any living dog handler vets. that I could contact? If so, I would be grateful. Thanks.
Views: 943   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 1, 2008 6:14pm
by Paul Johnson
r
Roger
This is a Disgrace
Please take the time to view the video at youtube.com under the search K-9 Marines. This handler is a disgrace, his dog heels to the decoy, will not release on command so he kicks the dog, then chokes the dog. The running commentary describes, leash corrections and...
Views: 1123   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 23, 2007 9:09am
by John Stephano
j
Jeanne
military dog treat donations
Hello, Can you tell me if there are any regulations governing what types of dog treats military dogs currently serving in Afghanistan or Iraq are allowed to eat? I'd like to make a few batches for those dogs when I make some for my own dogs this Christmas. Als...
Views: 870   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2007 5:27pm
by Ron Aiello
A movie called RAIN
Has anyone ever heard of a movie called RAIN? It is about the thousands of army dogs left in Vietnam after the war. Email me if you have information. Thanks, Virginia
Views: 1033   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 18, 2007 5:21pm
by John Stephano
Writing a story ... photos needed
Hello from Poland! I found your website and I must say you inspired me to write an article about military dogs. I have my own two dogs and I must say this issue is very interesting. Good to see such people like you ! Anyway I would need some pictures to ilust...
Views: 932   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2007 4:53am
by Robert (Poland)
Student Research
hi, i'm a seventh grader in Colorado. I'm doing National History Day and my topic is War Dogs in Vietnam. The due date is december 11th and i'm doing a documentary. Do you know of a Vietnam Veteran Handler who lives in Colorado that i could interview? Or on the p...
Views: 949   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2007 9:01am
by Perry C. Money
U S War Dogs Memorial Desktop Model now available.
The United States War Dogs Association and Sculptor Bruce Lindsay has commisioned a foundry to recreate a Desktop version of the U S War Dogs Memorial which was dedicated at the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial at Holmdel, New Jersey on 10 June 2006. To see the desktop...
Views: 947   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 14, 2007 2:34pm
by Ron Aiello
Re: writing dog story Red Army WWII
I am writing a true story. I am writing the war time memories of my friend. My next chapter is about a German ambulance dog (German Shepard named Rex) who was rescued when the German Army surrendured to the Red Army in Eastern Germany. Rex was to be shot when his mas...
Views: 964   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 9, 2007 3:54am
by Perry C. Money
WOLF E-771 and/or Wayne Alheim
My Dad was a trainer during Vietnam. I've found alot on "handlers", but not so much on the people that trained the dogs. He was bit 7 times by a dog while showing an FNG how to muzzle a dog (the new guy let the dog go...). He said he had a dog named Duke (there mu...
Views: 888   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 3, 2007 4:57am
by Steve A.
j
jo
info on a dog
Hi Does anyone have any information on a white German Shephard that was killed in Nam named King
Views: 980   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 25, 2007 10:07am
by Perry C. Money
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8