Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
m
Mark
Hathaway One Step
Hello Braves, Is the Hathaway One Step usually played on the push or pull? Merci Mark
Views: 551   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 9, 2006 4:00pm
by Chad
PAUL DAIG IS STILL THE KING
PAUL DAIG IS STILL THE KING NOTHING ELSE BE SAID.....
Views: 631   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 9, 2006 12:47am
by Glenn
s
Steve
San Diego Cajun Scene?
I'm going to be in San Diego mid-April and I don't want to miss out on any opportunities to hear some good cajun music. Does anyone out there have any tips on making the most of the trip?
Views: 539   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 8, 2006 6:21pm
by Chad
Ok, I'm starting this as a new thread...Speed confusion
I'm very confused about something. I listen to a lot old recordings of Cajun music, and much of it was played at over 200 beats per minute (two steps). The question is, if people currently don't like to dance Cajun to this speed, how did the dancers do it back the...
Views: 639   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jan 8, 2006 11:11am
by David Sousa
n
neal
Since your last visit/My recent discovery that rang my bell
The site is still going strong! Recent updates at Ray Abshire and Dennis McGee/Sady Courville, Mamou Social Club. The Ray Abshire selections are with a little electric band featuring R.C. Vanicor, Vernon Bergeron, Errol Guilbeau, and Courtney Granger. They ar...
Views: 464   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 7, 2006 7:41pm
by neal
how do you work those spoons?
Folks, I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I've been studying Dirk Powell's DVD and Larry Miller's book and CD and I've made some progress with my right hand...but I've got no clue what to do with my left (aside from pumping the bellows). I'm playing a Hohner 114...
Views: 544   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 7, 2006 2:29pm
by David Sousa
Come see my Cajun band tomorrow!
January 5 Thursday Charm City Ramblers (Local Cajun Band) @ Los Arrieros Restaurant & Night Club: 7926 Georgia Ave, Sliver Spring, MD 20910 (On Georgia Ave - just north of the DC line, South of the Silver Spring Metro. Parking in Rear Lot off Blair Rd. and on Geo...
Views: 464   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jan 7, 2006 1:17pm
by Dwight
m
matt
syncopation
Not being a musician, nor a student of music -- merely someone wanting to eventually learn how to play, decently, some cajun songs on the accordion, can anyone state what the general principals or observations are as to syncopation in cajun music? I've just looked u...
Views: 650   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 6, 2006 8:46pm
by matt
Mardi Gras gig available in New York
Hello Braves, the Silver Leaf tavern in the NY area is looking for a band this Mardi Gras. If any one on the east coast is interested please contact kelly.day@silvertavern.com best of everything in 06
Views: 332   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 6, 2006 8:20pm
by Jean-Pierre \"S...
s
Steve
Ray Abshire
So, my wife wanted to get the new Ray Abshire CD for me as a Christmas gift. She checked Amazon and was told the delivery date would be after Christmas. She then went to Ray's website and sent an email inquiring about delivery time. She went on to tell him that w...
Views: 629   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 4, 2006 1:27pm
by Joe D
I'm looking for lyrics
Hello, I'm looking for lyrics of "Jolie petite fille" from The Alley Boys Of Abbeville. I live in quebec....you can visit my website
Views: 515   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 4, 2006 12:07pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
anatomy question
Hey All, I took apart my Acadian C today because it fell and one of my four stops got bent. After I re-glued the little block of wood (that the stop bar is attached to) to the long slat of wood (that opens and blocks the air coming into the reeds) I noticed that my...
Views: 561   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 3, 2006 11:29pm
by Jim Pettijohn
VIDEO link of accordionist Joel Guzman
Hey fellas: The following link is a somewhat blurry video clip I taped of Joel Guzman this past summer at the end of an Accordion Workshop he held in the Alamo, TX. He does a little improv upon the request of some of the students and plays a few different styles o...
Views: 491   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 3, 2006 9:18pm
by Karlos Landin, J...
g
Ganey
This Brings a Tear to My Eye...
A star in the making... ...makes a Papa proud!
Views: 627   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 3, 2006 11:55am
by Maz - Acadien du...
Just back from Acadiana
Just got back from my first trip to Acadiana (Lafayette etc.). El Sido's, Richard's Club, Vermillionville, Cafe Des Amis. One musical highlight among many was catching L'Angelus at Gallagher's Sunday afternoon. They started out without an accordion player so of cou...
Views: 529   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 3, 2006 10:27am
by Johnny Ace
j
Jason
Music discoveries of the NEW year
I just got through watching the 2 most EXCELLENT DVD's to grace my collection. "J'ai ete au bal (I went to the dance)" and "Spend it all". Bought for $29 each at Savoy Music Center. J'ai Ete Au Bal is like a video companion to the book Cajun Music: A Reflection...
Views: 565   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 2, 2006 3:13pm
by Jason
wanting to buy used accordian not from ebay
hi everyone i have a problem i had a real good accordian and my mom is holding it against me and she wont let me have it back cause i moved out. I dont really know what to think of that but anyways.......I am looking for someone who wants to sell a second hand accord...
Views: 473   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 2, 2006 3:06pm
by cajungreeneyes
d
Dwight
John Delafose - See Somebody Crying
Anyone play this song? Its a slow bluesy one off of "Joe Pete Got Two Women". Is he playing single row? I can kinda get it on single row, at least the little bit at the beginning I've tried so far. And I'm pretty sure it can be played on a C box, but don't know...
Views: 540   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 2, 2006 1:15pm
by David Sousa
n
neal
Your musical discoveries this year?
Who or what did you discover this year that really rang your bell? New or old music mentions welcome!
Views: 560   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jan 2, 2006 10:08am
by Jack Bond
Happy New Year & can you name this tune?
Can anyone name this this tune? here's the link to a midi file: http://www.fiddleboy.net/unknown.mid Yeah, yeah, it sounds chessy as a midi file, but it's only 4K, and I didn't want to put up an mp3 that could be considered a copyright infringement. Any info would...
Views: 586   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 1, 2006 8:56pm
by Dwight
d
Dwight
Happy New Year Folks!
I just sent 2005 out with a bang by buying 5 cajun cds. Chuck Guillory Steve Riley - Happytown (its one of their ROCK cd's, but its got a couple of interesting tracks on it, like the "Mardi Gras Song"-esque "Pointe Aux Chenes", which is a town south of my home to...
Views: 511   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 1, 2006 5:03pm
by larry english
d
Dwight
Flappers sticking
My Bon Tee Cajun box is about 5 years old or so. I've just begun experiencing one of my flappers being balky and sometimes sticking open. This is the #3 flapper. It feels slightly sluggish to open, and slightly sluggish to close, and sometimes feels like its getti...
Views: 493   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jan 1, 2006 1:29pm
by Griff
Happy New Year to all:
Well hope this new year will be great for all- If all goes as planned.We are adding a jam room to our home.And are looking forward to our first big jam scession.All musicians' are invited.We will let you all know more when it gets closer to the big day! Just to let e...
Views: 453   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 31, 2005 9:02am
by Big Nick
g
Ganey
Grand Opening of BayouStuff.com (where you Buy-You Stuff)
I'd like to invite you all to visit my new online store. It will feature CDs and music from Louisiana and other Folk genres expecially independents that are harder to find. I will also offer vintage instruments. Visit often and register as a customer to receive upd...
Views: 622   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 8:53pm
by Chad
b
beau
need lyrics to the 99 year waltz
been gone for a while, seeing doctors and trying to play the accordion.need lyrics to the 99 year waltz in english. oh hi dwight i will call you later.thanks for your help guys on the 99.back later.
Views: 1230   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 8:29pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Good laugh on Ebay
Thought you'd all get a kick out ot the description of this box on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/L-MILLER-S-F-CAL-Antique-1900s-ACCORDION-ACCORDIAN-NR_W0QQitemZ7378579558QQcategoryZ16218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Views: 651   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 2:40pm
by John D.
Mardi Gras in La
I'm finally heading to La during the week of Mardi Gras (Feb 28) this year. Going to stay in the Lafayette/ Breaux Bridge area, figuring anywhere I'd want to go would be within a 50 mile radius or so. Don't plan on sleeping a lot, and taking in as much as I can. Love...
Views: 617   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 11:38am
by Nonc D
Lyrics in French & English La Valse de Belezaire
...can anyone point me to a web site with the lyrics to this tune? Thanks
Views: 482   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 30, 2005 11:30am
by Michael
booking agency
does anyone out there know of any booking agencies that book cajun bands and or zydeco bands?
Views: 495   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 10:46pm
by Steve from New J...
NOEL
Telesphore Boudreaux, Mayor of Bayou Pon Pon wishes you all a Merry Christmas Joyeux Noel Mes bons amis Telesphore
Views: 560   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 4:55pm
by Dwight
THE ROUGH GUIDE TO CAJUN DANCE - CD REVIEW
A couple of weeks, I picked this CD: Cajun Dance, by Music Rough Guide (see link above). It contains a selection of various bands including Steve Riley, Jambalaya Cajun Band, Beausoleil, Zachary Richard, Magnolia Sisters, Feufollet, Hadley Castille, Balfa Toujours,...
Views: 425   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 2:27pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
g
Ganey
WTB Old Acoustic Guitar
I would like to buy a vintage guitar(preferably Martin or Gibson)that is in need of repair, though I would consider anything earlier than 1970.
Views: 524   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 29, 2005 8:08am
by Craig
reed set up in a 4 stop one row?
what is the standard reed set up in a typical 4 reed cajin one row? LMMM or LMMH? Thanks russ
Views: 550   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 28, 2005 9:48pm
by Jason
Another one of my recordings (tell me when to stop)
Ok here's another one I did today on my C Acadian. God it feels good to switch back to my handmades! I was a bit worn when recording this one, not too great on my part. Check it out... http://bengalrecords.com/jim/GirlsFromTheCountry.mp3
Views: 519   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 28, 2005 2:26pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Who Pioneered "Nouveau Zydeco?"
In the late eighties, zydeco shifted from a blues and R&B-centric composition to a gumbo of Cajun/ska/funk design. There's still plenty of blues in it, but the front-line became Cajun diatonic sound. Zydeco Force was the first band to unveil this new direction... or...
Views: 524   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 28, 2005 12:30am
by chris miller
k
Kent L
Problems Saving Video's
I am transfering cajun music footage from my Sony mini DV camcorder to my Dell E510 computer. I am loosing quality in the exchange. I am using a cable with the IEEE1394 plug to the camera and a USB plug into the computer. Could I be loosing quality by using the USB...
Views: 450   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 11:47am
by Big Nick
the accordian and other music
what does everyone think about having the cajun accordian in other kinds of music besides cajun or zydeco. Maybe, like rock or country or any other kind of other music? Well, everybody will have there own opinion, if any one comments on here. But i really am curious...
Views: 554   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 8:15am
by blue norther ste...
I can't get over this...
http://www.pineleafboys.com/musicsamples/churchpoint.mp3
Views: 529   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 27, 2005 12:34am
by Chad
A favor
I want each and every one of you to visit www.pineleafboys.com and go to MUSIC then go to the link that has older songs they've recorded. Listen to Cajun From Church Point and tell me that is not the coolest Cajun two-step you ever heard. And by far some of the bes...
Views: 536   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 26, 2005 7:31am
by Jersey Jeff
s
same
the accordian and other music continued
Well I was suprised at all the responses. So, are some people saying that maybe up morth on the north east coast which is where im going in march, that maybe I would be able to land some gigs over there in which I would use the accordian but not for cajun music? That...
Views: 404   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 25, 2005 9:52pm
by Jim Pettijohn
BON TEE CAJUN ACCORDIONS
Larry Miller, crafter of the BON TEE CAJUN accordion is retiring as of July 1st, 2006. Anyone wanting an authentic handcrafted cajun accordion best get moving.
Views: 568   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 25, 2005 6:25pm
by Pocohauntas Phil
Anyone here HTML literate?
I'm trying to figure out how to put an MP3 on a myspace page so the song comes on when people visit the site. Anyone know the HTML code line to accomplish this? Thanks Jim
Views: 548   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 25, 2005 6:25pm
by Jim Pettijohn
Traditional CD's
Can anyone suggest some Cajun CD's recorded more recently that are feature music played in the older, traditional style (not trying to start a debate on what's traditional here!). I have some great 1920's-30's stuff, but the sound quality is not that great. I want to...
Views: 609   Replies: 17
Last Post: Dec 25, 2005 12:22pm
by daytona7 (LeonR)
Jai Passe on Radioactive G Hohner
Here's another recording for you all. Jai Passe on the infamous Radioactive Hohner in G. Boy that old fart growls! http://bengalrecords.com/jim/JaiPGHohner.mp3
Views: 529   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 24, 2005 10:29pm
by Jim Pettijohn
g
Griff
Peace...
to each of you that have unknowingly filled empty spaces in my soul, shown your life as a work of beauty and made each undiscovered moment a priceless gift. Merry Christmas! Griff
Views: 478   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2005 10:06pm
by Griff
Merry Christmas ya'll!
Listening to Savoy / Doucet's version of 'Tits Yeux Noirs and for some reason it has always reminded me of snow falling and winter. Could be because I'm from Maryland. The way they do it almost sounds like a Christmas carol. Merry Christmas!
Views: 421   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2005 9:18pm
by Jim Pettijohn
To Chad
Hi, I just joined the forum you made and it won't let me reply to posts. Any idea why this is happening? Jim
Views: 411   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 24, 2005 4:43pm
by Chad
A recording for you all, please listen
Larry and others, This recording was done on the $150.00 Morelli (key of D) accordion. http://bengalrecords.com/jim/BayouTecheOnMorelliAccordion.mp3 The Morelli D is practically the same as an Arriette, but I think it's actually somewhat cheaper in quality...
Views: 539   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 24, 2005 3:32am
by Chad
what key?
what key is "Les Haricots Sont Pas Sale" played in generally? And, does anyone know the lyrics for the Balfa/Abshire version? thanks
Views: 536   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 5:14pm
by David Sousa
Artwork added to G Hohner
Check out what I did to this G Hohner. It used to be one of those multicolored HA114A's with the clowny bellows. I'm sure I'll get mixed responses for this one I probably cannot get on a commercial flight with this! ----------------------
Views: 2221   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 2:33pm
by Rick Reid
s
Scott
Best reeds for Zydeco Bb box
Hello Everyone, Getting ready to buy a Zydeco Bb box. Any preferences in terms of reeds between Bincis, Salpas, or Cagnonis? Any ideas appreciated. Scott
Views: 630   Replies: 16
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 1:51pm
by Jim Pettijohn
a
Aaron
voodoo
who all knows anything about voodoo? and who all thinks it is associated with cajun or zydeco music?
Views: 586   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 12:58pm
by Rick Reid
Calling Rick Reid
Hi Rick, I saw on your posts a link to your band's website - nice site! I just got done listening to all the tunes, and I liked what I heard. It seems like the songs are mostly original, is that true? So you are short a bass player at the moment? That's too...
Views: 454   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 12:03pm
by Rick Reid
A Christmas Gift for all-
Yes Merry Christmas to All... and here's a little gift for those who don't already have one... http://www.sundog.net/carolofthechins/flash/index.html type in any carol and the chins will sing it for you, Don't miss the 12 days of Christmas or Joy to the Worl...
Views: 534   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 11:49am
by soundhound
p
Pdubya
Part time lover anyone?
Anyone have the basic push/pull for Part Time Lover or... heck any number of kieth frank tunes ? Im trying to get all kinds of stuff to sink in to my brain and find great suggestions here...but it sure aint getting much easier..
Views: 534   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 10:53am
by Johnny Ace
Beginner
A while back I was given directions to a site where I could learn a little bit on playing the accordion and also information on the "First Act" kids accordion. I had saved the information on my hard drive but the computer crashed and I had to get a new drive, so I l...
Views: 564   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 23, 2005 6:49am
by daytona7 (LeonR)
Madeleine lyrics - Zydeco Force
Has anyone got the lyrics to the Zydeco Force version of Madeleine? Their take on this song moves me, but I'm having trouble making out the French. I'm posting this on the lyric website, too. Thanks for any insights you can share.
Views: 604   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 3:51pm
by Rick Reid
g
Griff
What tune are you working on?
I've been away from the accordion for awhile and find that I am really rusty and out of 'shape.' So in an effort to recover some lost time, I have started from 'scratch' on a tune I thought I knew... "la valse de quatre-vingt-dix-neuf ans" (99 Year Waltz.) I am using...
Views: 644   Replies: 20
Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 11:09am
by David Sousa
line in
has anyone ever heard of the line in recording studio in sulphur la?
Views: 588   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 22, 2005 1:54am
by aaron paul
What Kind of Wood is This?
Hey All, I'm ordering a secord accordion and I'm really impressed with the look of one of Zachary Richard's Acadian boxes. You can check his photo section here: http://www.zacharyrichard.com/photoalbum.html Scroll down to the very bottom of the window aand c...
Views: 682   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 5:27pm
by Scott
d
Dwight
How many of you use drum machines when you practice?
I've just been listening to an extended recording of me playing, and at first I didn't hear the rhythm problems, then someone else pointed it out and it became clearer. So, wondering how others of you deal with rhythm problems. Drum Machines? Metronomes? Just p...
Views: 550   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 4:13pm
by Rick Reid
c
Chad
Grand Opening of www.CajunMusicForum.com
Hello Folks! I would like to invite everyone to stop by my new cajun music forum at www.CajunMusicForum.com ....this is a place that i hope will build a community of musicians like here on the bravenet boards....informative, helpful and a place to preserve Cajun/Zyd...
Views: 613   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 12:52pm
by neal
bellows tape
I noticed a corner of tape is lifting on one of the bellows folds. Want to glue it back before it gets carried away. Any suggestions on what type of glue to use? I usually reach for titebond or hide glue, but thought I'd better get it right! -Steve
Views: 525   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 12:32pm
by Bruce Fraser
my GCF Gabbie is closing on ebay soon......
Hi you guys, That ruby red Gabbie in GCF in on ebay and will be closing soon. Just wanted to let those of you who are interested, as it is a very nice instrument with 3 reeds per note(and recently tuned) merry christmas Kirk Jones
Views: 565   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 8:57am
by kirk jones
b
BJ
Old accordion
Anybody know who won that old handmade box on ebay this week? BJ
Views: 526   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 21, 2005 1:16am
by BJ
Forum Performers!
Listening RIGHT NOW to Chris Miller on KBON. There's something REALLY special about hearing spots and then tunes by our Braves! Jude, Cory, and others....
Views: 656   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 20, 2005 11:26am
by Nonc D
d
Dwight
Show off your babies
I guess I'm just on a roll with these Yahoo groups. I'm thinking about getting a new box built, and am looking for ideas. So, I've created a Yahoo group where folks can post photos of their pride and joys (accordions only please). This way, they can stay up th...
Views: 528   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2005 10:21pm
by Dwight
THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER
Bonjour mes amis If you want to listen to "La Fille du Diable" and some other new songs, just click on: http://gerarddole.free.fr On va s'voir encore ! Gérard Dole
Views: 645   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 19, 2005 7:40pm
by Andy
How a true cajun was raised:
I was blessed with a lovely talented son,he plays Accordian,like no other I've ever heard - rythm guitar,fiddle drums and Bass.He is self taught.But has forgotton the true meaning of Cajuns' and Family He has disowned all of his family who is always there for him and...
Views: 755   Replies: 16
Last Post: Dec 19, 2005 9:24am
by Griff
IP Addresses Have Been Turned On
Please note that due to some recent posts, I have turned on "Show IP Addresses."
Views: 620   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2005 11:42pm
by Dwight
Need lyrics to Amitie Casser asap!
Anyone have the lyrics to Horace Trahan's song "Amitie Casser"? Gotta have them for practice tomorrow. thanks in advance Jim
Views: 475   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 15, 2005 6:39pm
by Jim Pettijohn
American to Cajun French lyric translation
Hello Braves! I am interested with experimenting on a composition written in American (note, I didn't say "English" ). I would like to have the lyrics translated into Cajun French because I think the language sounds so beautiful, especially when sung. I'...
Views: 501   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 14, 2005 4:08pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
my band
well no one will probably reply but just for the hell of it. I am starting my own cajun band and was wondering if there were any available musicians out there that read this that are wanting to join a cajun band. Email me or reply on here.
Views: 658   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 13, 2005 4:04pm
by Dwight
d
Dwight
Regards from Holly Wood
How does this wood hold up in an accordion. I've heard it is prone to warping, and dents easily. Any feedback?
Views: 456   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 9:40pm
by Dwight
h
haley
need help
kk i needa no who made the accordion??
Views: 515   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 8:27pm
by chad
Anyone know these accordions ??
Hi..I am a fiddler trying to learn box playing on an old German single row...OK for Morris dancing/etc but....I am looking for a good Cajun box (I am also not that rich !! soooo...the old question !! Seen a box called a Baton Rouge Cajun. Made in Italy currently r...
Views: 939   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 5:33pm
by haley
Nice bod on EBay - Elton Doucet Key of C
There's a nice box that just came out on EBay, ref #7374198079. I didn't know Elton Doucet as a builder. Does anyone have comments about his boxes? Maz
Views: 576   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 11:03am
by Ben
WWW.PINELEAFBOYS.COM
Check out the Pine Leaf Boys two step
Views: 540   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 9:32am
by Bryan Lafleur
Pinstripe on the corners
Something I've wondered about for years... Why does almost every maker use a very similar 'pinstripe' pattern on the corners? For example, look at the masthead for this page. My Larry Miller has it and I've seen the same pattern on dozens of others... Does this p...
Views: 569   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 2:09am
by Christian
s
Scott
Evangeline Special Turn....NEED HELP
Can anyone post a tab on the turn of the Evangeline Special. I've been listening to this song from the pine leaf boys website above. Just can't seem to get the turn. PLEASE help
Views: 567   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 11, 2005 3:49pm
by Dwight
d
Dwight
I can't believe this crap
I just ordered that cajun dictionary and cajun phrasebook from Amazon. NEITHER one of them offers the pronunication of individual words. You only get a generalized pronunciation guide at the front of the book. Which means anytime I want to look up a word, I ha...
Views: 596   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 11, 2005 1:00am
by Dwight
g
Glenn
Mint Martin in C on eBay
if anyone is looking for a MINT Martin in C .. I have listed one alongside my 9 Button Martin in C on eBay.. it is literally "like new ". Glenn
Views: 591   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 10, 2005 5:44am
by Glenn
d
Dwight
Bye bye mon neg - Geno, anyone know the lyrics
I get the "Bye bye mon neg, bye bye tit fille", but the rest escapes me. Dwight
Views: 507   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 9, 2005 7:20pm
by Dwight
c
claude
Hand made cajun box!!!!!.
Real "handmade" Cajun box, with mittered corners no less, and whoever build it inserted a darker wood in the mitters as an accent, God I wish this attention to details would be adhered to by modern builders!. And look at the clappers, and the shape of the basses bo...
Views: 682   Replies: 16
Last Post: Dec 9, 2005 4:19pm
by DP Mandell
d
Dwight
Yet another Yahoo group - for accordion licks
Since the postings of tablature here eventually cycle off, and there's no directy way to search for a song name and its tab at the same time, I've started yet another yahoo group. The address is above. I've only got two of my tabs up there now. Does anyone mind...
Views: 428   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 9, 2005 2:59pm
by Dwight
Bruce Daigrepont
Saw Bruce Daigrepont in NYC over the weekend and was left wondering why we never hear about this guy? He and his band are great! It was hands down the best Cajun music experience I've ever had. They were so good, as a friend of mine put it, that you forgot they(the b...
Views: 549   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 8, 2005 5:13pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Jim Pettijohn's accordion
Hey, Jim .. re: The new accordion pic, I love it!! Now, are you going to grace us with a new genre of punk-Cajun music? Merci! --Big PS: I want in!
Views: 613   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 8, 2005 2:37pm
by soundhound
How do you post a picture on here?
Anyone have any idea how to post pictures? I painted an old Hohner and want to show it to ya'll. You'll never guess what it looks like!
Views: 452   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 7, 2005 5:48pm
by JoanieBlon
a
Aaron
dominoes
anyone heard steve rileys new cd yet? if so, does it have more non cajun songs rather than more cajun songs?
Views: 572   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 7, 2005 4:50pm
by Johnny Ace
Mid priced accordion for sale "C"
Hi: I'm sellin my Excelsior "C" Cajun Accordion. Mine is a little different than the standard box in that it's got some nice cosmetic improvements. John Roger supplied new hardware, top of the line straps (he uses excellent straps), and the face plates have been nic...
Views: 778   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 6, 2005 8:49pm
by Chad
d
Darryl
New Years Eve Gig Songs
Our band has been given a gig at a local Pub for New Years Eve. This is a great venue for LIVE music and we're excited about the profile we'll get, as well as the potential for a lotta fun . Our band plays Creole,Cajun, Zydeco, Blues and Swamp Pop..an ecelectic mix...
Views: 465   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2005 5:04pm
by larry english
d
Dwight
Band names?
I'm scouting possible band names. Any ideas? Cajun, with possible light sprinkling of blues or zydeco.
Views: 656   Replies: 38
Last Post: Dec 6, 2005 3:18pm
by David Sousa
Old Acadian D
Anybody remember that old black Acadian in D that was on E-Bay awhile back? Well, I just got it back from Marc, who tuned it, replaced a couple reeds, replaced the gaskets, and did some other minor housekeeping. He says it dates from the late '60s, though he didn't k...
Views: 557   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 5, 2005 4:50pm
by Jim Pettijohn
Sticky key on a Ariette... How do you fix it?
I just received an old Ariette I picked up on EBay. It's in worse shape than I thought. I bought it for the pickup/pre-amp device, which is interesting. I will probably remove it and use it on another box down the road. Anyway, the second button on top is sticky. I...
Views: 523   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 5, 2005 2:59pm
by kjell ramstedt
larry english, Steve Riley, and KOC
Larry .. You out there? I just had wanted to say how great it was to be in Atlanta again to see Steve Riley and finally get to say "Hi" to you face to face. I'm starting to get to know a few people in the Atlanta crowd from this board and the Balfa Cajun w...
Views: 511   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 5, 2005 11:41am
by larry english
Morelli accordion
Just bought a 150 dollar Morelli Cajun (chinese) box in the key of D just for sh*ts and giggles (just something to add to the 8 Cajun boxes I've already got). Besides the initial flaws which I painstakingly almost fixed, the thing actually has a real nice old styl...
Views: 618   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 5, 2005 12:01am
by Jim Pettijohn
d
Don
Jude's and Danny's accordions
Can anyone tell me the current prices for Jude's and Danny's accordions? Don
Views: 723   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 4, 2005 11:00pm
by Jim Pettijohn
d
Don
Tracy Schwarz playing style
Has anyone heard anything about Tracy Schwarz lately? I really like his style of playing; not extremely fast, but rythmic playing. Any opinions about his playing? BY the way, ow do you get that Chank-aChank rhythm out of the accordion like Tracy does on his recordio...
Views: 741   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 4, 2005 10:47pm
by Dwight
DORIAN accordion
Anyone have info. about a DORIAN accordion? Where made? By whom? Quality?
Views: 780   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 4, 2005 10:45pm
by Dwight
FBbEb Beltrami for sale
FBbEb 3reed/5 switch Made by Claudio Beltrami about 4 years old Perfect condition, perfect tuning, a beautiful accordion Handmade Antonelli Reeds internal senheiser picups installed by Beltrami It has only been played occasionally in the last 2 years as I...
Views: 475   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 4, 2005 12:59pm
by Andy
a
Aaron
France
Was just wondering something else since I'm bored. Does anyone know the name of the city or town in France that wilson savoy usually plays in. And also, was wondering if there was a cajun music chat room or just a cajun chat room on AOL or if anyone plans on making one.
Views: 619   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 4, 2005 9:19am
by Ganey
New Guy, Old Question
I would appreciate your help on this matter although it has been discussed before. Which accordion to start with?? I am like most in that I do have to consider the cost of the instrument. But it looks like a large jump from the Ariette to the Hohner 114 and then to a...
Views: 524   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 2, 2005 6:51pm
by Ed Harrison
Charm City Ramblers: Thursday, Jan 5
For those of you who live near the DC / Baltimore area, my Cajun band is playing a gig at the "Los Arrieros Restaurant." Date is January 5, 2006 Address is 7926 Geogria Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Views: 492   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 2, 2005 5:08pm
by Jim Pettijohn
k
KennyT
Who make the lightest cajun box?
I am looking for a new Cajun accordion in C that is very light weight. I have a dry tuned Gabanelli Cajun King in D. I like the sound. But it is very heavy (9 lbs). I tried a Bon Cajun a few years back. I think it was lighter, but it is hard to remember. I...
Views: 726   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 2, 2005 3:19pm
by Glenn
r
Robert
Sofia Mari Triple rows. Are they any good?
Sofia Mari Triple rows. Are they any good? I ask this question because Musicians Friend carries them and they also carry a Musicians Friend brand which looks like the Sofia Mari brand. While in Kansas City, Mo. on a visit, I visited their wharehouse. I found a cou...
Views: 892   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 2, 2005 11:22am
by larry english
augusta feedback
Assuming I did not overlook reviews posted after augusta this year, anyone out there have any feedback to offer on their experience with intermediate/beginner's accordion classes this year in augusta? I will still probably go to balfa again in '06, but Augusta sure...
Views: 422   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 2, 2005 8:10am
by Big Nick
d
Dwight
Lyrics to Valse de Opelousas - by Geno
I was sort of able to glean the following from the geno song, with the help of some lyrics I found online (Leo's Lyrics). I don't have my slow-down tool with me, so I can't be sure of all that's coming at me when I listen. Included is the lyric, then my attempt...
Views: 466   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 2, 2005 1:48am
by Christian
a
aaron
hubert maitres xmas party
hi everyone was just wondering who all is going to Hubert Maitre's xmas party this year. I usually go almost every year but not this year i dont belive. Its always great when I have went. You get to play any instrument you want basically rather you suck or not. Its i...
Views: 506   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 10:08pm
by aaron
Band names ?
Hear R my shrug gestions for band nayms : Poo Poo in Ze Bayou Z'haricotte pas salope Red come eune pin de noss C T M P K E 4 T D
Views: 479   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 8:42pm
by Dwight
d
Don
Wanted: Cajun accordion in C
Hi: I know this is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but I am looking for a Cajun accordion in key of C. HAndmade from Louisiana, not a Hohner, etc.. Hope I have luck on my side. Don
Views: 846   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 5:52pm
by Don
n
neal
Moise Robin
Moise Robin He was 17 years old when he accompanied fiddler Leo Soileau to Richmond, Indiana, to record some classic songs for Paramount. We're actually talking these days about selling by the song. 1929 seems to me to have been more progressive. A time when y...
Views: 576   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 7:05am
by Gerard Dole
Broken Hohner Bass Spoons
I started learning accordion on a Hohner I bought used on e-bay. I have since bought a handmade accordion from Louisiana. I am wanting to sell the Hohner, but I broke those little spoon springs while practicing. Does anyone know where I can get replacements? I h...
Views: 754   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 1, 2005 3:58am
by henning
d
Dwight
New Yahoo group for cajun and zydeco lyrics
I've started a new yahoo group for cajun and zydeco lyrics. The preference will be for lyrics that have been transcribed from a specific recording, not copied out of some other generalized online or hard-copy source. I know lyrics get posted on these lists, but...
Views: 460   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 30, 2005 9:01pm
by Dwight
s
Scott
Le Capitaine
Craig (or anyone else with a Le Capitaine), In regards to your Le Capitaine, do you have any thoughts in terms of how it compares with an Acadian or a Martin (besides being $500 less)? I talked with Danny, and he'll be back in business in January. Thanks!
Views: 739   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 30, 2005 7:57pm
by John Botter
g
Glenn
Martin 9 button in C
I'm selling a well used and need of tweaking 9 button Martin in C. It plays well, just needs a tweak on one reed. Metal buttons, new left hand strap. Am asking $950 Shipping included ( no case no strap ). Photos available. Glenn
Views: 526   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 30, 2005 1:23am
by Glenn
p
Phil
Accordion in 'F' on Ebay (UK)
Can anyone shed light on what this is on Ebay. Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cajun-Accordion-in-F-made-by-Regal_W0QQitemZ7369531633QQcategoryZ308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Described as a 7-8 year old Regal. The seller says it was purchased in Louisiana...
Views: 601   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 28, 2005 4:09pm
by Phil
Cajun Accordian
It has been some time since I have been in the forum, the last time in was asking about the kinds of accordians etc as I have still not purchased one, but will in the near future, but I do keep reading about them. I just read somewhere not sure where that the cajun a...
Views: 586   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 28, 2005 12:02am
by Dwight
n
Nonc D
at ya with a new email address
This has been a busy Fall season (remodeling). Through all the to-do's with this inside re-doing, came a new music room for me to slip away and enjoy to the fullest. Took one of the three bd. rooms on the otherside of the house and converted it to a victorian music...
Views: 466   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2005 11:40pm
by Nonc D
j
Jim
Which instrument to start?
What's a good instrument to start on? If I were to purchase one of the top of the line instruments, which one? Do you start with C, D or F? Thanks
Views: 622   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 26, 2005 11:00pm
by Jason
Cajun bands in sulphur la
hey everyone hope all is well with your thanksgivings. Mine was ok ate too much though but thats besides the point. I play accordian, fiddle, bass guitar, and rythm guitar. I was wondering if there were any cajun bands in the sulphur, vinton, or lake charles area tha...
Views: 552   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 26, 2005 9:14am
by aaron
Cory McCauley at the Liberty Theater
This Saturday tune in to the Liberty Theater broadcast on www.krvs.org at 7:00 PM Central time for Cory McCauley & his Evangeline Aces. Should be a good show
Views: 628   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 26, 2005 1:57am
by Jason
s
Scott
Zydeco single row teachers
Any ideas as far as Zydeco/Creole single row accordion teachers near Lafayette? Thanks, Scott
Views: 497   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 25, 2005 6:15pm
by roger
d
Dwight
Lover's Waltz
Just listening to this by Steve Riley's group. Its really beautiful. Who else does that?
Views: 494   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 24, 2005 12:01pm
by larry english
j
Jim P
To Jude
Hi Jude. I was wondering if you could help. I'm trying to find straps that shut a hohner 10 button accordion. I just totally repainted an old G Hohner that has rotten straps (just the ones that close it) You wouldn't happen to have any lying around would you? T...
Views: 567   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 24, 2005 12:42am
by Elzie Matthews
Cruisin Accordions
Mike and I went on the 2005 Zydeco Cruise last week. The cruise featured Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys and Geno Delafose and French Rockin Boogie. It left from Houston and sailed for 7 days through the Western Caribbean with stops in Belize and Roatan Hond...
Views: 732   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 23, 2005 6:25pm
by JoanieBlon
g
Ganey
Visited a good friend and picked up a new box.
I took the short drive to Groves,TX yesterday and visited with my good friend, Jude Moreau. Although the trip was to pickup a new box, the real prize was drinking a beer while picking and pumping songs. When I got it home, I played long enough to prove to myself t...
Views: 689   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 23, 2005 4:52pm
by JB
boozoo's "crying waltz"
Hi ya'll I have boozoo's crying waltz under my skin and have figured out the tune on the accordion(still smoothing out the bass side) and the fiddle part is easy enough. What a soulful tune. But....the lyrics escape me. I can pick out some lines out of it, but not...
Views: 576   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 9:11pm
by David Sousa
Cajun Special / Rudy Lejeune
Does anyone know anything about the "Cajun Special" accordion made by Rudy LeJeune in Estherwood, LA? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Views: 540   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 5:15pm
by Sambeaux
I finally signed up for Balfa Camp!
That's it, it's done, no turning back. Yesterday I signed up for Balfa Camp, and got the last cabin available. This will be my very first trip to LA. I'm planning on arriving around April 20 and staying for a day or two after at the Int'l festival in Lafayette if ti...
Views: 700   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 3:52pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
hey joe hall....
Hi Joe, man, I need your number. I'll call you. How's the Fontenot project coming along? Kirk
Views: 435   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2005 9:00am
by K.jones
s
Scott
Wayne Toups Newest CD
Have any of you heard Wayne Toups newest CD "Reflections of the Past." I think it is great. I have several of his older CD's that I like but never really wanted to learn to play accordion by listening to those. I liked his style of playing but I knew it wasn't how...
Views: 549   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 20, 2005 1:59pm
by chad
d
Dwight
Drunkard's Blues - Lyrics?
Anyone know the lyrics to Drunkard's Blues, as done by Austin Pitre? This sounds like a fairly accessible song. Who else has done it?
Views: 547   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 19, 2005 10:32am
by Dwight
BON TON ACCORDION IN C ON EBAY
ANYONE know the deal on the BON TON accordion in C on Ebay? type in CAJUN ACCORDION on the blank line and enter or search.
Views: 694   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 18, 2005 6:48pm
by Jason
SPAM Control Verification Box
It's been REMOVED.
Views: 572   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 18, 2005 5:59pm
by Dwight
Acadian Triple Row?
I've been meaning to ask this question for 2 years, but forgot. Was looking in Anne Savoy's book and noticed the Acadian triple row accordion. When was Marc building triple rows? Has anyone ever played one before? Jim
Views: 586   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 17, 2005 5:28pm
by larry english
d
Dwight
check this out
creole fiddle dvd coming in 2006
Views: 698   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 14, 2005 7:27pm
by Dwight
From La La to Zydeco
Hi, I just found a interesting dvd on net, which is donated to libraries in Lousiana an d not for sale called "from la la to zydeco" you can download the trailer mmov which is great, anybodey seen this movie, corey ledet plays incredible. How can I get a copy of thi...
Views: 473   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 14, 2005 6:02am
by Craig
j
Joe D
Great new CD's
It felt like Christmas this afternoon when the mailman brought me a little box from Floyd's Record Shop containing the Lost Bayou Ramblers new CD - Bayou Perdu and Ray Abshire's new release, arrete pas la musique. If you have not checked these 2 new CD's out, I wou...
Views: 576   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 9, 2005 11:40pm
by Joe D
d
Dwight
Valse de Jeune Fille
Anyone know who does this? Nice waltz. My new teacher was teaching this to me tonight. I'd like to have a recording to ingrain it. Dwight
Views: 490   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2005 9:05am
by Dwight
d
Dwight
Midland conspiracy
Ok, can't find Midland Two Step on Neal's site, on Walmart, in Ye Yaille Chere, and I don't think its in Ann's book either. What is the chord progression on it? Is it the same as Cherokee Waltz?
Views: 696   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 7, 2005 8:18pm
by Dwight
d
Dwight
WALMART MUSIC
You know, because of the negative impact of what happened to Neal's site, I've also been forced to explore new resources when studying a song. WalMart Music downloads gives you 30 second sound clips that you can download. Type in the name of a song and you get fr...
Views: 542   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 7, 2005 7:24pm
by Jude
Marion Marcotte "jeez wheez"
Peut etre c'est decouverte, ca veut dire un medicine. Go to the web site above and listen to the date Oct 26, starting about 28:00 on the time counter, at 29:00 someone calls in the answer. This is the KVPI web site in Ville Platte, they archive their morning...
Views: 665   Replies: 16
Last Post: Nov 7, 2005 4:22pm
by Dowell
How much would you pay?
Hello, How much would you pay for a BON Tee CAJUN accordion Key: D in Modello rosewood about 1 year old, perfect condition? Robert Richard Canadian version.
Views: 663   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 7, 2005 11:41am
by Maz
Lyrics and melodies to some common Cajun songs on-line
For those of you that are new, I thought I would re-share one on-line resource with Lyric versions and Melodies of many common Cajun songs. All the way from France! http://membres.lycos.fr/breric/cajun.htm (I have no affiliation to this site.) DP
Views: 626   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 6, 2005 12:06pm
by DP Mandell
j
JohnB
What model Hohner is this?
I have just aquired a Hohner 10 button box. It seems identical to pictures of the HA114 that I have seen but it only has 3 stops. I bought it as a learner accordion. Is it suitable? Any advice would be appreciated. John
Views: 578   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 6, 2005 12:50am
by JohnB
d
Dwight
Eddie Lejeune - D box?
Did Eddie play a D box on his recordings?
Views: 594   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 3, 2005 5:11pm
by BuFraw
d
Dwight
Amede Ardoin CD's
I've got "Never coming Back". Is there anything else? I've got one or two tracks by him on the "Cajun Fais Do Do" cd. Just wondering if there's anything more extensive.
Views: 525   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 3, 2005 1:21pm
by Dwight
n
neal
Agreements with Swallow and La Louisianne Records
Swallow and La Louisianne are asserting copyright for some of the songs I have posted on my Web site. It doesn't matter whether they are out of print or whether the artists have given me permission. I am sad for the artists who have given me permission. They wa...
Views: 885   Replies: 34
Last Post: Nov 3, 2005 12:28pm
by Henning
Ray Abshire's New Cd
Y'all have to check out Ray Abshire's new cd!!!! I just got a copy of it and I haven't stopped playing it. Talk about traditional Cajun music.....and as a fiddle player, I love Ray's melodic accordion playing.... ....he seems to have a love for the fiddle and it s...
Views: 823   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 3, 2005 6:33am
by Jude
j
Jim
check out this old Mouton
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Mouton-Professional-Accordion-Squeezebox-L-K_W0QQitemZ7362674372QQcategoryZ16218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Views: 661   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 2, 2005 12:14pm
by GLenn
m
Maz
Balfa Camp: Value trade-off between cabin or dormitory?
Here's a question for the ones who have participated in the Balfa Camp. What's the condition of the dormitory and the cabins? Is there a big difference in the quality of accomodations as it related to the difference in cost? What's the trade off? What do you recomme...
Views: 612   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 11:51pm
by Henry Hample
Alternate keys...and clip on mics
Ive been working on a C box down basement way, up here in NY. With limited locals to question and take pointers from Its great to see such good discussion going on here.. Im looking to find some suggestions on my next one row that can fit in with my local friends th...
Views: 614   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 11:31am
by David Sousa
d
Dwight
Letter to Swallow/La Louisianne
I sent this to La Louisianne, and a similar one to Swallow. Chime in and they might listen. Hello, I was recently informed that you has asked Neil Pomea to take down his full-length versions of La Louisianne tunes from his website. I understand your rea...
Views: 735   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 9:41am
by neal
n
neal
New feature for posting
Joanie points out to me that in order to post, there is a new feature below the text box asking you to enter some security code, which will be a short string of letters that differ for each post.
Views: 724   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 8:11am
by Dwight
Same song, different tempo
Listening to Jason Frey from the Liberty Theater on KRVS the other night, Jason & Barry Ancelet pointed out that the "High Point Two Step" & "Kaplan Waltz" are both the same tune, one in 4/4 time and one in 3/4 time. The same for "Midnight Waltz" & "Grand Nuit Speci...
Views: 567   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 31, 2005 5:32pm
by Layne Z
another cajun forum
I really enjoy visiting this website for the music related discussions. Just wanted to let anyone interested know that there is another forum listed above, where we discuss things cajun in general, such as food, music, culture, and language. Merci beaucoup, Brya...
Views: 680   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 30, 2005 8:07pm
by Bryan Lafleur
m
Maz
Anyone has the lyrics for Choupique?
I picked up that sound on Dirk Powell's video and then heard it on the Savoy Doucet Band CD. I really like this song. Where can I find the lyrics? Maz
Views: 553   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 28, 2005 10:57pm
by Bryan Lafleur
j
Jason
My borrowed accordeon
Well, my cousin pulled through and showed up with a tiny old suitcase. Inside was a Regal (why did I think Martin?) black D box. The box is made in Germany and has the Ariette reed stop positions (down=on). It's a wonderful box, bellows are good, it's cajun tuned...
Views: 610   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2005 6:10pm
by Jason
d
Dwight
Lyrics to Chubby Carrier's "Madeline"???
Any know the lyrics to this song? You can get a download of it off of Amazon.com, if you don't have one.
Views: 475   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2005 4:17pm
by Dwight
d
Dwight
Eunice 2 Step, fiddle B part?
I've been listening to several recordings, and on none of them do I hear the fiddle play the B part to Eunice 2-step. Is it because its too hard for the fiddle, or is it just structurally, the accordion tends to play both parts? Dwight
Views: 568   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 27, 2005 6:02pm
by Mark Marcin
j
Jim P
the regulator
I'll say it again, when playing, tap the air regulator gently and slightly at the right time when playing. Do this and your stiff (i.e. new / correctly made) bellows will act properly. PLEASE, don't hurt your bellows, don't hang 'em up. It's funny how man...
Views: 718   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 27, 2005 3:46pm
by Jim
d
Dwight
Slow down, you move to fast
Check out this cd slowdown hardware box.
Views: 566   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 27, 2005 2:20am
by CajunSwede
r
RPr
Slow waltzes and Aires
This may song a bit off topic to some of you hard driving two steppers but I was wondering if anyone does slow Waltzes and Aires on the button box. Even the Irish accordion players I have heard played Jigs and Reels rather than O'Carolan tunes. I am sure the Ca...
Views: 641   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 26, 2005 3:30pm
by claude
Anyone signed up for the next Balfa camp?
I'm seriously considering signing up for it. Anyone going? I really like the instructors line-up. My only dilemna is that there's a slight possibility that I get involved in a Nova Scotia-Louisiana business expo that will be held during the Festival international de...
Views: 561   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 26, 2005 10:52am
by Nick Beaudoing
t
tommee
good & bad news from Mr. Danny Dyson
I posted the question some time ago if anyone had any news from Danny Dyson since Rita hit. I finially got some news yesterday. Danny, Lori and the kids are all fine & it appears that their house had only minor damage. That, of course, is wonderful news. Other me...
Views: 628   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 26, 2005 10:24am
by tommee
Wrong Key, AKA the end of my career as a cajun singer
Just had the worst experience of my life on Sunday. (God I hope none of you were there). Bombing Jolie Blonde in front of 500 people. My neighbor puts on an October fest every year down here and the band (who is staying in his and my house) decides they wanna learn...
Views: 650   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 26, 2005 8:53am
by Henry Hample
g
Glenn
Old Mouton on eBay
Am wondering if this is an LA box..or not... Looks in poor shape for the asking price.. I wonder what the connection is with the current Moutons? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7359884789&fromMakeTrack=true Glenn
Views: 619   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 25, 2005 6:04pm
by Dale
t
tommee
Has anyone heard from Danny Dyson?
SO glad to hear the news from Ganey, that his home is relativly secure as well as from Jude that he is back home & getting things in order. Our prayers and thoughts are with you guys, as well as Ed, Rolland and your family, friends and neighbors. I have been...
Views: 542   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 25, 2005 5:50pm
by Cajun*Green*Eyes
Doug Kershaw
Does anyone know what's up with Doug these days? Cheers
Views: 662   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 25, 2005 8:34am
by Ganey
j
Jason
Martin D accordion
My cousin is going to lend me his Martin accordion in D. My question is... Am I going to have a hard time learning to play it and what are the notes on the keyboard? He says he has a friend that has a C box and he might trade with him and let me use the C but for...
Views: 717   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 24, 2005 7:47pm
by Dwight
c
claude
Canadian to Acadian du Nord
Hey, Maz! Actually,not too many Canadians do post on this board,(Nicole is one)and I hope you don't take offense for me to call you " Canadian" , and that I posted a link to your beautifull city as well!( that's for Bruce benefit) . I'm at the present time invest...
Views: 562   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 24, 2005 2:20pm
by Maz
Horace Trahan?
I especially love the older style music, but one young musician that I really like, mainly because he reproduces so well the sound I love, is Horace Trahan. He made one cajun cd, then a couple of zydeco, then took a religous sabbatical. Anyone know if he is plannin...
Views: 610   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 24, 2005 11:02am
by Ron
n
neal
Marion Marcotte's Lucky Day at the Red Cross in Pointe Aux Chiens
It's never too funny whenever someone tries to explain comedy, but I could use some help translating some of the items Marcotte mentions in the L'eau Haute de Vignt Sept story on my Web site. The comedy is all in the deadpan serious way he tells it. The scene is t...
Views: 1039   Replies: 46
Last Post: Oct 24, 2005 2:30am
by Roy
" D " accordion info for JASON
"D" ACCORDION ''''PUSH ''' PULL #1 NOT NEEDED #2''''A-''''''C #3''''D-''''''E #4''''F-''''''G #5''''A-''''''B #6''''D-''''''C #7''''F-''''''E #8''''A-''''''G #9''''D-''''''B #10'''F-''''''C
Views: 576   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 23, 2005 10:25am
by larry english
g
Ganey
Pristine Acadian "D"
For those of you who are always looking, I went to get my guitar worked on today at Ken Smith's and low and behold he is selling an accordion for a friend. This thing is a little more than a year old, key of "D", and maybe five hours of time on it. The bellows are...
Views: 578   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 22, 2005 12:53pm
by Ganey
r
Ron
Lyrics to the song "Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez"
Does anyone have the French and English lyrics to the song "Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez"? I would very much like to have a copy. Thanks
Views: 585   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 22, 2005 8:43am
by Bryan Lafleur
r
Ron
Want to buy a Triple row accordion
Can someone give me a recommendation on buying a triple row accordion (FBbEb or GCF) in the range of about $400 - $700. Can I find a decent one in that price range. New or used. I'm interested in playing Zydeco.
Views: 617   Replies: 13
Last Post: Oct 21, 2005 9:01pm
by claude
Are most Cajuns Democrats or Republicans?
The question says it all... What do you think?
Views: 813   Replies: 17
Last Post: Oct 21, 2005 1:59pm
by Griff
lyrics to Johnny can't dance?
Does anyone have lyrics to Johnny can't dance? thank you! Nicole
Views: 719   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 21, 2005 1:10pm
by Christian
c
Cory
JoanieBlon's Green F
JoanieBlon: Did that green Falcon F accordion belong to Jimmy Viator?
Views: 521   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 21, 2005 10:58am
by Cory
Chris Miller & Bayou Roots CD ~ AWESOME!
WOW! Been listening to this AWESOME CD that's being featured today on KBON! GREAT JOB! Congratulations! Gotta get me one!
Views: 668   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 21, 2005 12:42am
by chris miller
a
August
question about accordion keys
Hello,I have a question about accordion keys on some old albums- On the Joe Falcon CD "Live at the Triangle club" recorded in 1963, the accordion seems to be in the key of B. Is this the result of the master tape playing back too slowly, with Joe playing a C acco...
Views: 574   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 21, 2005 12:19am
by August
n
Rosie Ledet's accordions
What brand(s) of accordion would Rosie Ledet be playing/holding in these photos? http://www.rosieledet.com/pictures.html
Views: 598   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 20, 2005 10:09pm
by Maz - Acadien du...
Can someone explain what Wet Tuning mean?
Some of you have often referred to @Wet tuning@ (i.e. the Hohner HA-114 and others). On a few occasions, I've also read about using a hot rod for the Cajun tuning...??? Could someone explain all of this?
Views: 673   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 20, 2005 11:01am
by Maz
Valse de Bamboucheur
Hi ! Does anyone out there have the lyrics to la Valse de Bamboucheurs, recorded by the Balfa Brothers. It's a great song that I want to play with my band, Boiling Bayou Cajun Band, (website link above). My fiddler learned it from Mitch Reed in Denmark a couple...
Views: 680   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 20, 2005 8:26am
by cajunic
Castiglione triple row
Does anyone have an opinion on Castiglione triple row accordions for zydeco?
Views: 669   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 20, 2005 5:58am
by Craig
Jamming session in Halifax - A memorable event!
Folks: Check this link above for a few interesting pics. After the Grou Tyme festival in Halifax last months, we (a few local musicians) got together with members of Roddie Romero's band (Kyle Hebert, Eric Adcock & ... Dudley)and Hadley Castille (+ his grand daught...
Views: 590   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 19, 2005 3:37pm
by Maz
Beginner accordion
Let me first say that I love Cajun music, I grew up with it and I've always wanted a box. I'm sure I can learn it pretty quick. I was at Savoy's Music Center last Saturday at the Jam session and I was looking at their Hohner models (Ariette and H114(or somethin...
Views: 762   Replies: 21
Last Post: Oct 19, 2005 12:29am
by Jim P
t
Toby
Goodbye
Goodbye folks!
Views: 627   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2005 11:33pm
by Jim P
r
RC
Enter RC
Yes, my faithful and loyal subjects, I have heard your beckoning call for leadership, and I have arrived to take you under my wing... You will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!! RC has spoken!!
Views: 595   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 18, 2005 11:01pm
by Dead Horse
Your connections with Acadia - do they still exist?
I would like to know if descendants of the Acadian people in Louisiana, deported by the British in 1755, still have any connection with the Acadians especially in the Provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada. Do you have friends or relatives here? Do you...
Views: 598   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 18, 2005 10:35pm
by Maz
NEW NEVER USED Guerrin Superior 2 President Cheep!!!!!!
I sell NEW NEVER USED Guerrin Superior 2 President. Piano accordion with 41 treble keys and 120 basses. Double tone chamber with 4 sets of treble reeds and 5 sets of bass reeds, including 11 treble switches plus master switch, chin switch and 7 bass switches. Han...
Views: 539   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2005 8:25pm
by Maz
1 Less Sidney Brown
I just got the sad news from my brother-in-law. His home on Lake Arthur was a total loss due to hurricane Rita. Along with most of his personal belongings, either destroyed or washed away, was an accordion made by Sidney Brown. My paw in law bought it for him on...
Views: 607   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2005 4:21pm
by Griff
k
kjones
tante na na??
I was listening to Preston Franks new cd "born in the country" and heard two tunes with the words "tante na na". ONe was a waltz and one was a two step. Any ideas? I don't have the liner notes with the songs listed, as a friend gave me a copy to peruse. W...
Views: 667   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 18, 2005 1:53pm
by Christian
Shultze Hits Blockbuster
Some time ago the movie 'Shultze Gets the Blues" was discussed on this forum. As a foreign film (German), it had very limited distribution, so I'm guessing very few of us saw it. A couple weekends ago I discovered a whole shelf full on display at Blockbuster. As l...
Views: 725   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 17, 2005 4:53am
by Christian
Traditional cajun music
ok everyone I figured I would post something serious today. I play accordian traditional cajun music as far everyone that doesnt know. I was just wondering everyone's opinion. Does everyone or anyone think that the "traditional cajun music" is still going to stay aro...
Views: 1048   Replies: 36
Last Post: Oct 16, 2005 5:12pm
by jcurner
d
Daniel
Martin Accordion
I have a new Martin in C. Well, not so new as I bought it about three years ago. I don't play much at all, just learning. However, it seems to be so hard to play. To push & pull takes just about all of my effort. Is this just because it's new? Thanks, Daniel
Views: 852   Replies: 33
Last Post: Oct 16, 2005 3:32pm
by dwight
j
Joe D.
Oh Bebe
Hi all, I've been learning "Oh Bebe" off the Lost Bayou Ramblers CD....does anyone have the written lyrics they can post? I can't seem to get them down off the CD> Merci!
Views: 528   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 16, 2005 1:40pm
by Joe D.
What's the best Iry Lejeune CD to get?
On Sunday, I had an opportunity to participate in a jamming session with some of the Cajun musicians who were at the Grou Tyme festival. I was told that I play the "old style", and that I would enjoy Iry Lejeune's music. Can anyone suggest any particular CD to get?...
Views: 609   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 16, 2005 5:14am
by Roxy
c
Craig
Tom Quinn
Hey Tom, I'm curious why I am banned from yor site. I can access it from work, but if you prefer that I don't, I won't. I'm quite confused. Take care and good luck. Craig
Views: 545   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 13, 2005 7:05pm
by Craig
Is there a Cajun french version of Cotton Fields?
This song is obviously Cajun influenced, but I have never heard it sung in french with Cajun instruments.Would like to find the lyrics if possible.
Views: 732   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 13, 2005 10:38am
by Paul Casey
m
matt
camcorder - one more time
closer to being able to get camcorder now, and may get 1 or 2 one-on-one lessons in the near future, which would be the only reason for me to buy a camcorder. I would want to upland the video to my computer harddrive and practice the lessons from my computer. I mig...
Views: 653   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 12, 2005 7:40pm
by Dwight
" BAYOU ' brand name Cajun Accordion
Is anyone here familiar with the BAYOU brand name Cajun Accordion such as how long has it been in existence and how does it compare to a MARTIN or ACADIAN box? thanks.
Views: 659   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 11, 2005 2:15pm
by Maz
b
Blair
Update from around Beaumont (Jude and Ed)
Jude called yesterday (so good to hear his voice!) so thought I would pass on what I have learned. He is back at his home, trying to do clean-up, although services in Groves are not restored. In Beaumont, on the other hand, services are back, and Ed has been back h...
Views: 602   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2005 12:49pm
by Blair
g
Ganey
Back in the Dead Zone
Well...me and the dogs have returned home. I made a trip home about a week ago to assess the damage, then returned to safety. Tomorrow, the mandatory evacuation will be lifted and resident will be allowed to return to Lake Charles and greater Calcasieu Parish. My...
Views: 705   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 7, 2005 2:30pm
by Lord of Holly Be...
Big Nick
Hey Man, Seems like I haven't seen any posts from you in a while. Everyting OK? Tee
Views: 692   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2005 4:39pm
by big nick
Marc Savoy & Donald Thibodeaux boxes on EBay
There are two interesting boxes on EBay. An old Marc Savoy key of D I think and a Donald Thibodeaux. I wasn't familiar with the latter. Does anyone know about these boxes in terms of quality/pricing etc? There's also a King of Cajun (Gabbanelli) key of C with an int...
Views: 764   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 6, 2005 11:12am
by Maz
missing link in "ti-galop pour la pointe aux pins"
Some time ago, lyrics for "ti-galop pour la pointe aux pins" were posted, but there was a sentence missing from Adam Hébert version. I remember discussing with Christian at the time, with no success. Yesterday I heard a track of that song on KRVS and finally...
Views: 767   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 4, 2005 1:51pm
by cajunic
Emergency repair - help needed
I live in England and have a John Hebert accordion. I haven't played it in a while, but suddenly I have a gig next month. When I played it one of the copper wires holding a valve broke off. I bought some wire when I was in Lafayette, but I'm not sure of how to get th...
Views: 628   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 4, 2005 1:10pm
by Rob
h
HB
Getting a turn
Hi ya all I have been playin now about 4 years now. I can usually figure out a given "A" part in time. The problem is learning a "B" part that sounds "Cajun". I sense that there are some rifs that are simular in a lot of "B" parts that inhance the Cajun sound...
Views: 626   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 4, 2005 11:18am
by HB
d
Dale
High Point Two-Step
I don't find "High Point Two-Step" in either Ann Savoy's "Cajun Music: A Reflection..." or in Raymond Francois' "Ye Yaille, Chere!". Does anyone know if this song is in either of these books under a different title? What I really want is a version of the Cajun...
Views: 937   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 30, 2005 7:43am
by cajunic
g
Ganey
We are Safe!!
Many thanks to everyone who called and emailed. My family and I are safe in Monroe, LA. Everybody's house was spared with the exception of my sister. Her home suffered some damage to a brick wall. My uncle who lived in Cameron made it safely to Elton where he is c...
Views: 693   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 30, 2005 1:29am
by Blair
m
Mike
Lawrence Walker CD's?
I've only heard a few tunes with Lawrence Walker playing on them and really liked what I heard. Does he have any CD's out there? Anyone have any favorites? Thanks.
Views: 617   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 29, 2005 1:18pm
by Tee-Joe
k
kjones
what recording? Ossun two step?
Hi ya'll, what recording can I find the "ossun two step" on? thanks kjones
Views: 934   Replies: 10
Last Post: Sep 28, 2005 4:54pm
by Russ Roberts
g
Ganey
Attention Chris MIller
Chris, If you are checking the board, shoot me an email.
Views: 625   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 28, 2005 1:08pm
by Ganey
Larry Miller and family OK?
It would be nice to hear if they are OK. thanks.
Views: 701   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 28, 2005 8:48am
by blue norther ste...
Broken Family Waltz
Looking for someone to post the lyrics to the Broken Family Waltz. It's on Jimmy Breaux's second CD and Kevin Naquin's "Pour le premiere fois." I didn't see it in the books by Ann Savoy or Raymond Francois.
Views: 754   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 28, 2005 7:46am
by Russ Roberts
Cobalt River
I don't even know if this is a good place to pose this question but I will and you can let me know. I saw an ad for a Cajun accordion named Cobalt River. It was very cheap and since I haven't learned to play one yet, I was wondering if anyone knows about this parti...
Views: 601   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 27, 2005 10:35pm
by Dwight
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!